Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Furitek Tegu Esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Furitek Tegu Esc

Hi All, if you own this Esc, which firmware update did you install. I was suggested installing the 1.3 over the 1.2 by the folks at furitek. Has anyone had success in using a 3S lipo? Ive had no luck running my comp build Scx24 with the Tegu on 3S. Any help is appreciated.
Rcing4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Furitek Tegu Esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcing4life View Post
Hi All, if you own this Esc, which firmware update did you install. I was suggested installing the 1.3 over the 1.2 by the folks at furitek. Has anyone had success in using a 3S lipo? Ive had no luck running my comp build Scx24 with the Tegu on 3S. Any help is appreciated.
Mine is on 1.4 and I see 1.5 is available. Looks like we both need an update.

I have not tired 3S on this one yet. But 2S wise its great for me.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-29-2021 at 09:37 PM.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Mine is on 1.4 and I see 1.5 is available. Looks like we both need an update.

I have not tired 3S on this one yet. But 2S wise its great for me.
Thanks for the update. I wasnt notified of any firmware updates. I should just check for updates..smh. im gonna see how it does on 1.5

For the $ we spent, its the best bang for the buck. Low cost and it exceeded all my expectations.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just an update..installed the new firmware 1.5 from the old 1.3 i installed last week. After the 1.5 install, the esc was stuttering as I hit the trottle and all of a sudden the motor functioning died. I have servo response but no trottle. And I cant connect my bluetooth to go back to 1.3..What gives??. I should have left it at 1.3..argh
Old 03-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I think Furitek added the 3s capability to appease people that haven't realized the fact that this esc has changed conventional thought. There is no need with Furitek to run 3s. Just up your kv. I am able to slow crawl with an 8000kv motor and also rip. All on 2s.
Traditionally we would want 3s to achieve wheel speed while geared down for low end control. With this esc, this is no longer the case.
Hope you get your issue resolved

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just an update..installed the new firmware 1.5 from the old 1.3 i installed last week. After the 1.5 install, the esc was stuttering as I hit the trottle and all of a sudden the motor functioning died. I have servo response but no trottle. And I cant connect my bluetooth to go back to 1.3..What gives??. I should have left it at 1.3..argh
That sucks! Maybe yours has a hardware defect? Bummer man!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

This is a great ESC. And you can tune it however you like. But out of the box, I felt like mine would move at a speed of a snail up to 20% throttle (which was freaking awesome) but once you hit 21% throttle, it kind of ramps up wheel speed unnaturally. Ive smoothed mine out, but I did notice that.

Its like slow motion speed up to 20% throttle, then it just starts moving at normal seed from 21% and up. Which is STILL smooth. But I can clearly tell there is a switch over point from super slow motion to slow motion if that makes any sense.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The SCX24 worm gear axle is already geared down significantly compared to a ring and pinion axle so that definitely helps. I wouldn't expect the same performance with an 8kv motor on a ring and pinion axle.
I also wouldn't exactly say this ESC is changing conventional thought about ESCs, a higher KV motor will still draw more current, make more heat, and not perform as ideally as a similar motor with lower KV and more voltage geared down.
John Holmes has far more crawler specific knowledge than most and even with his ESCs his mantra is volt up,gear down.

As far as the Furitek most of the videos I've seen are best case scenario with a HUGE outrunner showing off slow speed on a flat surface with no load on the motor, which IMO doesn't tell you anything because even a low/mid grade ESC can do that. The one or two videos I've seen with stock or aftermarket brushed motors seem to perform about the same as other ESCs in this price range like castle, holmes and Tekin.

IMO this ESC will still be the most popular option because of all the new people into micros and RC.
This is plug and play so no soldering needed for the SCX24, it's compact for the features it offers,seems to perform as well as the top ESCs, has the ability to be fine tuned like higher end ESCs, and has some LED support.

My biggest concern with Furitek Is quality control, I've heard of them before with the other ESCs but have never known of anyone running them, now that the new ones are out in the wild I'm already seeing a surprising amount of failures leading to burned up ESCs and motors, and I believe one person claiming it caught on fire.

I'll personally be waiting for a few more batches to see how things go with others. Once they seem reliable I'll for sure pick one up to compare to my Castle,Holmes, & Tekin, as is with what it offers the performance doesn't even have to be quite to the level of the "big 3" for it to be a good value (so long as they don't keep burning up)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The SCX24 worm gear axle is already geared down significantly compared to a ring and pinion axle so that definitely helps. I wouldn't expect the same performance with an 8kv motor on a ring and pinion axle.
I also wouldn't exactly say this ESC is changing conventional thought about ESCs, a higher KV motor will still draw more current, make more heat, and not perform as ideally as a similar motor with lower KV and more voltage geared down.
John Holmes has far more crawler specific knowledge than most and even with his ESCs his mantra is volt up,gear down.

As far as the Furitek most of the videos I've seen are best case scenario with a HUGE outrunner showing off slow speed on a flat surface with no load on the motor, which IMO doesn't tell you anything because even a low/mid grade ESC can do that. The one or two videos I've seen with stock or aftermarket brushed motors seem to perform about the same as other ESCs in this price range like castle, holmes and Tekin.

IMO this ESC will still be the most popular option because of all the new people into micros and RC.
This is plug and play so no soldering needed for the SCX24, it's compact for the features it offers,seems to perform as well as the top ESCs, has the ability to be fine tuned like higher end ESCs, and has some LED support.

My biggest concern with Furitek Is quality control, I've heard of them before with the other ESCs but have never known of anyone running them, now that the new ones are out in the wild I'm already seeing a surprising amount of failures leading to burned up ESCs and motors, and I believe one person claiming it caught on fire.

I'll personally be waiting for a few more batches to see how things go with others. Once they seem reliable I'll for sure pick one up to compare to my Castle,Holmes, & Tekin, as is with what it offers the performance doesn't even have to be quite to the level of the "big 3" for it to be a good value (so long as they don't keep burning up)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Interesting. I sure hope mine doesnt burn up! Regarding the the uphill torque with the surpass motor. It literally holds torque at whatever throttle level you give it. So if its moving at the speed of a snail and you go uphill, it does NOT slow down or bog out. It holds torque very very well. Id honestly say it does it much better than the mamba micro X. With my mamba, I would have to give it more throttle as the incline got higher. And I would hear the loud motor whine change in tone as I went. The tegu holds steady and is very quiet. Its got slow speed and torque figured out very well. Best slow speed and torque Ive ever had.

I just hope it lasts based on what you said.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That sucks! Maybe yours has a hardware defect? Bummer man!
I contacted furitek and still no response. I restarted .the esc and it said reboot on my phone. Updated back to 1.2 firmware and put back the original setting i had prior to the update. The 1.5 update gave new parameters hense me installing the old settings. It drove for 30secs with 1.2 firmware and the motor again stopped responding. I have not plughed in a 3S since i made the video showing the issue. The 1.5 update i did was using 2S only. Hope they get back to me. Ive ran my HW esc on both 2s and now mainly on 3S dogging the crap out of it and not once did it stop on me. I have 4 new surpass motors as back also and n when i plugged them to the furitek, it was the same. Noting..
Old 03-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I contacted furitek and still no response. I restarted .the esc and it said reboot on my phone. Updated back to 1.2 firmware and put back the original setting i had prior to the update. The 1.5 update gave new parameters hense me installing the old settings. It drove for 30secs with 1.2 firmware and the motor again stopped responding. I have not plughed in a 3S since i made the video showing the issue. The 1.5 update i did was using 2S only. Hope they get back to me. Ive ran my HW esc on both 2s and now mainly on 3S dogging the crap out of it and not once did it stop on me. I have 4 new surpass motors as back also and n when i plugged them to the furitek, it was the same. Noting..
Did you email sales@furitek.com? I emailed them about the servo port function and they responded by the next morning.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelee View Post
I think Furitek added the 3s capability to appease people that haven't realized the fact that this esc has changed conventional thought. There is no need with Furitek to run 3s. Just up your kv. I am able to slow crawl with an 8000kv motor and also rip. All on 2s.
Traditionally we would want 3s to achieve wheel speed while geared down for low end control. With this esc, this is no longer the case.
Hope you get your issue resolved

I agree with you and i actually have another build in the works using the longer higher KV inrunner motor. My dilemma is that both of my rigs were based to perform its maximum potential around the surpass. Every inner center cavite of the frame is maximed for weight distribution,balance and electronic ,battery placement using 3S. But most of all, the angles of the high centered links. I can go flat out low. My comp rig sits a low 3/4 in belly clearance. I wouldn't be able to keeps things low if i used a longer can without hittimg the links or driveshaft. Longer can also means moving the battery or electronic higher or to the back where there's space.. I could be wrong and the the longer can is able to match scx24 performance as if it were the surpass..ill just have to wait and see when i start that build. I just hope i didnt get a lemon for an ESc.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Did you email sales@furitek.com? I emailed them about the servo port function and they responded by the next morning.
Yes Sir, emailed once the 1.5 update went no where. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon
Old 03-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes Sir, emailed once the 1.5 update went no where. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon
I think they are in Vietnam. Its midnight their right now. Maybe you'll get your response by later this evening.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

What motor are you running?
What pinion?
Which model do you have this in?
What battery are you using?
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:38 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
What motor are you running?
What pinion?
Which model do you have this in?
What battery are you using?
Currently attachwd to q 4WS Scx24 comp build
Running on a brushless surpass motor
Gearing a 16T
2S lipo
Flysky GT5 transmitter
Old 03-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Currently attachwd to q 4WS Scx24 comp build
Running on a brushless surpass motor
Gearing a 16T
2S lipo
Flysky GT5 transmitter

Did they get back to you yet? I haven't tried 3S yet. But so far mine is consistent and running ok with 2S and 1.5 firmware.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Did they get back to you yet? I haven't tried 3S yet. But so far mine is consistent and running ok with 2S and 1.5 firmware.
I wish i had some answers from the guys at furitek, but so far nada. Im a patient man, so ill give them another day or 2.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2021, 07:31 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Question. Did you run on 3s before you installed updated firmware? I ask because I don't think it was 3s capable until the update was installed that made it 3s capable. Maybe you hurt it before you updated

Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:31 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelee View Post
Question. Did you run on 3s before you installed updated firmware? I ask because I don't think it was 3s capable until the update was installed that made it 3s capable. Maybe you hurt it before you updated

Hi, My intial run i was runing on 1.2 firmware, i informed furitek of my issues with 3S and I was advised to upload 1 3 . I made a video showing the issue i still had with 1.3 and have not ran a 3s since the video was posted . even aftwr the update to 1.5 firmware it was using 2S lipo. All the failures when updated to 1.5 was using a 2S only. Heres my last video of my comp rig with tegu before the update to 1.5.

https://youtu.be/uxx1LpgV3Lg

Furitek Tegu Esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furitek Lizard esc + 8000kv = one sick scx24 Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 18 02-04-2022 12:05 PM
Scx24 C10 Furitek and Surpass brushless outrunner Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 10 01-26-2022 02:35 AM
Furitek Tegu 3S issues... Rcing4life Scale Videos! 0 03-26-2021 09:20 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM