Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A "Comp-ish" SCX24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default A "Comp-ish" SCX24

I already have one super scale micro truck, this is its very performance oriented counterpart.

Chassis:

Team Garage Hack TGH-24X rails, cross members are a mix of stock and sleeved M2 threaded rod. 3D printed high clearance links, laid down stock shocks with no springs. 1oz of lead on top of the servo for some forward weight bias. Sliders/electronics trays are .060" aluminum. Hot racing steering links.

Drivetrain:

Furitek 1400kV with their motor plate and pinion/spur and Treal overdrives, otherwise it's stock down to the driveshafts.

Tires/Wheels/Body:

RC4WD MT/Rs on SSD Beadlocks, Crawler Innovations medium foams up front, soft in the rear. The body is a Carisma F150 meant for their 1/24 scale truck, little shorter and a lot narrower than the original C10 body. Stock body posts up front, magnet mounted in the rear.

Electronics:

Furitek Lizard, FlySky 3 channel, EMax ES08MA. I run these small "Pulse" brand 2S lipos mostly 'cause they were on sale for next to nothing but they do fit well.

Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #2

Default Re: A "Comp-ish" SCX24

looking real good! I like the little slider/trays. Simple, but effective.
Cycle.Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle.Cats View Post
looking real good! I like the little slider/trays. Simple, but effective.
I originally set out to make sliders that would come out and stick up the sides of the rockers on the body but despite several cardboard models I had a hell of a time trying to get the bends in the right place to tuck them in nicely and have them be flat with the body while lining up with the angled skid plate on the TGH chassis. I decided on what I've got now out of frustration but they do work well and they don't disrupt the looks of the truck. I've got a couple more of these bodies on the slow boat from HK, once they're here I may try mounting to the sliders instead of the body posts since I've cut so much out of the stock mount, it's a little floppy.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

4 linked the front to get rid of the Y-link. This thing had several issues with binding in the front due to both my setup and the nature of the y-link design. Front drive shaft was rubbing at the diff end, upper and lower links were hitting each other etc... I cut the ends off some stock lower links and drilled them for M2 threaded rod. Used the metal ball studs out of the stock steering linkage at the diff end and standard stuff at the chassis. No more clearance issues and the bind is minimal now. I did roll a little more caster in than stock too to try and help tighten up the turning radius, added bonus of a teeny bit more steering link ground clearance.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 07-22-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Very nice!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Making some changes. Added Hot Racing emulsion shocks, still full droop up front, just a tiny bit of up travel in the rear for a little more clearance and to take the bounce out when bumping the rear axle up ledges. I picked up some spares of the Ford body a while back and cut the hell out of this one then abandoned it because I couldn't come up with a way to close the back of the cab in nicely. Then I came across the bed from the 1/24 ECX Barrage. Still needed some trimming but this is where I'm at so far. Trimmed the big awkward spare tire location off the bed and the faux shock towers to clean it up a bit. Waiting on paint and some final fit/finish work.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #7

Like the build . Could you post a link to somewhere to get that body?
four12unner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:35 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I buy the bodies direct from Carisma, doesn't seem like they've got much of a dealer network in the US. Shipping direct from Hong Kong takes a while.

Here's their spares page
https://carisma-shop.com/collections/msa-1e-spares
Old 09-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Got my Little Guy Racing Parts tires today, holy clown shoes! Stuffed those with some medium Crawler Innovations foams front and rear. Made a little headache rack filler for the front of the bed cage that serves both to cover the less than ideal back of the cab and as a point to screw the cab and bed together.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 09-27-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Looks like a beast!
Doom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

USPS finally got around to delivering my paint. Last time I painted a lexan body it was for an original SCX10 so I'm a little rusty and it ain't perfect but it's good enough to beat on rocks. Need to figure out some kind of front bumper without giving up all the approach angle.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Got a 3d printer so I fired off a little fuel cell to fill some of the open bed space and a front bumper. Also added deadbolt rear links to get the wheelbase out and +4mm axles to get the tires away from the shocks.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 02-03-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome man, what a bruiser!!!

I have this same body and plan to put it on my SCX24. I was considering putting some smaller tires on it and shortening the wheelbase to fit the body, but you might have changed my mind a little. Still unsure of what I want to do with it yet… Oh, my front driveshaft is binding against the y-link as well.

The start to my “little one”

Name:  F5354735-B22B-45F0-ABE8-6C20B362FB75.jpeg
Views: 1128
Size:  95.6 KB

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 02-03-2022 at 09:54 PM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

A "Comp-ish" SCX24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Kraken" build-ish thread AkronAxial 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 03-13-2014 08:47 PM
Campbell "ish" style w/ swaybar gadge 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 06-06-2013 12:25 PM
Another "Scale-ish" Makeover For My 2.2 Clod... RANOVRU Tamiya Clod Buster 6 05-16-2006 12:51 PM