Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Phyro’s SCX24s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Phyro’s SCX24s

Hey Guys,

Well might as well start this build thread, though kinda late lol. The first of the 3 SCX24s started life as a white CRC JLU. I ran it stock for a few months with just a change of tires and wheels.

Now the stock class duties are done by the Gunmetal C10, which even have my first set of bead locks on it.

Now the 68-72 C10/K10 is one of my favorite trucks, so the JLU got converted to one as well. There was a few reasons at first, but as projects evolve, those reasons went to the wayside.

Well here is where the “Modified” truck was at the beginning of the night:

So far on the build I have the following:
- CCHand Inner Fenders (C10)
- CCHand Rock-sliders
- HR Brass Diff Covers (F/R)
- HR Brass Steering Hubs
- HR Metal Steering Links
- HR Metal Suspension Links
- HR Metal Bumper
- SSD 1.0” 5-Slot Bead Locks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Phyro’s SCX24s

The modifications haven’t really stopped. Tonight I started on the next phase, electronic upgrades.

There is a Reefs micro99 pictured, but I decided not to use it. It’ll be used my 10.3 instead. Just going to stick with a Emax servo for now.

All torn down to start the Komoto install. I was a bit disappointed that the new motor mount was plastic. It did mount up correctly and does support the motor well enough.

A few notes from the install. I ended up putting the pinion on flush with the end of the motor shaft. The set screw was toward the end of the motor shaft.

Fitting in the motor and transmission assembly back in revealed some interference. The stock ESC tray/shock tower needed to be cut in order for the Komodo to actually fit. Here is the cut out that I made:

The truck was actually put completely back together this evening and tested. I show off my wiring job, and the finished product tomorrow evening.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Here is the somewhat finished electronics layout:

I think it looks fairly clean, and the inner fenders made for a good mounting location for the electronics.

Some notes about what I am seeing so far:
- a bit of a rough start, might have bad mesh.
- ESC had no drag brake to start with. Turned it up 50% using the app.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The rough startup can be to do with the tuning on your throttle settings and throttle curve. I had to change some of mine significantly from when I was running a brushed motor.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #5

That thing is looking great! I like the inner fenders, it just gives everything a nice finished look, and like you said, more mounting points. Really looking forward to getting my BL kit in this weekend..

Do you think it's possible to mount the motor behind the transmission using the Furitek mount? Kinda seems possible, but hard to know until I have it in hand.. I do have a "backdoor" mount on order too, just curious about the Furitek piece.
Cycle.Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
The rough startup can be to do with the tuning on your throttle settings and throttle curve. I had to change some of mine significantly from when I was running a brushed motor.

Thanks for the suggestion . I’ll take a look at the throttle curve when I get home tonight.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle.Cats View Post
That thing is looking great! I like the inner fenders, it just gives everything a nice finished look, and like you said, more mounting points. Really looking forward to getting my BL kit in this weekend..

Do you think it's possible to mount the motor behind the transmission using the Furitek mount? Kinda seems possible, but hard to know until I have it in hand.. I do have a "backdoor" mount on order too, just curious about the Furitek piece.

I don’t think it would be possible with the Furitek mount. It sets just a bit too low.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That's a clean build. Very nice work. Here is my build. Different but similar

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That is a really clean build! I was hesitant about installing a Reefs servo, as the Emacs needed to have the corners trimmed to fit correctly.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #10

I’m going to work On something Similar to what you guys are doing. I just got a spectrum SR 315. Does it bind to the stock remote? Also does the battery plug into the lizard ESC and then the lizard ESC power of the spectrum receiver? Or do I need to get an adapter to plug in the battery to the spectrum receiver? Also what are those mounts you used for organizing the wiring?

Last edited by jaygorton; 07-21-2021 at 08:31 PM.
jaygorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygorton View Post
I’m going to work On something Similar to what you guys are doing. I just got a spectrum SR 315. Does it bind to the stock remote? Also does the battery plug into the lizard ESC and then the lizard ESC power of the spectrum receiver? Or do I need to get an adapter to plug in the battery to the spectrum receiver? Also what are those mounts you used for organizing the wiring?

That receiver won’t bind to the stock radio. I am using my DX5C to control this little guy and my larger vehicles.

The Lizard has a small BEC in it. 1.5 Amps if I am not mistaken. It has enough to power my receiver and servo. I am not running the stock lights currently, and not sure if that will cause issues or not. (Didn’t want to chance it.)

As for the cable management, those are some 1/2” square zip tie mounts. Got them with on of my LED kits. I have seen them on Amazon as well.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
That receiver won’t bind to the stock radio. I am using my DX5C to control this little guy and my larger vehicles.

The Lizard has a small BEC in it. 1.5 Amps if I am not mistaken. It has enough to power my receiver and servo. I am not running the stock lights currently, and not sure if that will cause issues or not. (Didn’t want to chance it.)

As for the cable management, those are some 1/2” square zip tie mounts. Got them with on of my LED kits. I have seen them on Amazon as well.

I thought regarding cable management, I'm an automotive mechanic by trade, not sure if any people outside of that world have seen the zip ties that have plastic push pins or "xmas tree clips" built-in???

You may have to drill a few very small holes throughout the rig but these might be ideal for some people's builds?

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post

How many amps is the stock bec? I have head lights, tails and a light bar 11 leds total
jaygorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, I couldn’t find the specs for the stock ESC/RX, so not completely sure.

Phyro’s SCX24s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phyro builds a SCX10 III Phyro Axial SCX10 III 41 06-21-2021 11:04 PM
Phyro’s Enduro 24 Phyro Micro Scale Rigs 10 08-20-2020 07:05 PM
Just ordered a couple SCX24s, ,any recommended spare parts. BJoe Micro Scale Rigs 7 04-11-2020 08:50 PM