Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Trimming 1.0 tire foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Trimming 1.0 tire foams

Just a curiosity: do y’all trim your foams in the 1.0” tires? Seems like most people are running RC4WD tires, do you find the foams to be adequate as is?

I have a few sets of tires, and I feel like they all need something different.
Bfg KM3 are un-trimmed, on a nearly stock truck. The tires hook up, but they feel bouncy and “over inflated”.
Falken Wildpeaks were star trimmed, but still felt like the deep lugs didn’t allow them to flex much, even on a heavier(brass’d) truck, plus they packed up with sand real bad.
Now running the Milestar Patagonia tires, I star trimmed one pair, and immediately decided they’re too soft. This tire has much thinner/softer case than the others I’ve used so far. So now I’m running the un-trimmed Patagonia’s on the front, and the trimmed ones on the back where it’s lighter, and actually pretty satisfied so far.
Cycle.Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trimming 1.0 tire foams

I personally don’t run foams in my tires. They are just too stiff and don’t hook up as well with foams. With the small size of the micros there really isn’t much need for foams, unless you’re running one of the larger diameter tires like scramblers or the old school Miclaws.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
I personally don’t run foams in my tires. They are just too stiff and don’t hook up as well with foams. With the small size of the micros there really isn’t much need for foams, unless you’re running one of the larger diameter tires like scramblers or the old school Miclaws.
May i add also, if your 1/24th scale weighs in at 3lbs, lol! You might-should be using foams??

Other wise, what ^^^he^^^ said, i find this rings true for my scx24 betty, even WITH minor weight added (recently converted to 4-wheel-steer, and dont know the numbers, but I'm confident when you put a front axle under the rear of this vehicle, it basically now with servo weighs the equivalent I've rather a factory plastic with brass cover and brass hexes etc, or even an aluminum rear with all brass additions. Also, the final drive changes a bit as you now have "higher" (front axle) gearing out-back...and i personally have o.d. up front. I digress. I have a servo on axle front and rear, 1/4oz wheel weights on top each servo (furitek tegu, surpass outrunner, gamyrc mount, etc), brass front diff cover, HR extended stub axles-front, and stock width (front) with extended brass hexes on the rear. Alu. Steering links, oh yeah, aluminum front axle housing (i feel like its lighter than stock housing), anyways....not a WHOLE lotta weight, so i prefer no foams, try for yourself with some amazon beadlocks if necessary, see if you get the traction you need?

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!

Last edited by 23drumerboy; 07-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
May i add also, if your 1/24th scale weighs in at 3lbs, lol! You might-should be using foams??

Other wise, what ^^^he^^^ said, i find this rings true for my scx24 betty, even WITH minor weight added (recently converted to 4-wheel-steer, and dont know the numbers, but I'm confident when you put a front axle under the rear of this vehicle, it basically now with servo weighs the equivalent I've rather a factory plastic with brass cover and brass hexes etc, or even an aluminum rear with all brass additions. Also, the final drive changes a bit as you now have "higher" (front axle) gearing out-back...and i personally have o.d. up front. I digress. I have a servo on axle front and rear, 1/4oz wheel weights on top each servo (furitek tegu, surpass outrunner, gamyrc mount, etc), brass front diff cover, HR extended stub axles-front, and stock width (front) with extended brass hexes on the rear. Alu. Steering links, oh yeah, aluminum front axle housing (i feel like its lighter than stock housing), anyways....not a WHOLE lotta weight, so i prefer no foams, try for yourself with some amazon beadlocks if necessary, see if you get the traction you need?

Wtf does any of this mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambaam View Post
Wtf does any of this mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I. Have. A. Slightly-weighted....
Scx24Betty...
I prefer NO foams.
My truck is now 4wheel steering....it has overdrive on front axle, and a stock front axle in place of the rear axle (only stated this for sake of comparing the NEW rear axle weight, versus a stock rear axle with aluminum link mount and brass cover.

Maybe i was using speak-2-text and the translation was rough?? Anyone else have trouble understanding my post?? *

23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run Crawler Innovations foams in both my minis with the tires properly vented. Usually soft front and rear though the RC4WD MT/R needed mediums in the front for sidewall support. The foams that come with RC4WD tires are really stiff, the ones that came with the Injora 1.0 tires I bought recently are as stiff or worse. IMO if you're not going to vent your tires the foam you put in them isn't going to make enough difference to worry about it, they're always going to be too stiff.

For less than 4 bucks a set the CI foams are a no brainer if you're the least bit interested in tuning your tires.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
I run Crawler Innovations foams in both my minis with the tires properly vented. Usually soft front and rear though the RC4WD MT/R needed mediums in the front for sidewall support. The foams that come with RC4WD tires are really stiff, the ones that came with the Injora 1.0 tires I bought recently are as stiff or worse. IMO if you're not going to vent your tires the foam you put in them isn't going to make enough difference to worry about it, they're always going to be too stiff.

For less than 4 bucks a set the CI foams are a no brainer if you're the least bit interested in tuning your tires.
Right on, thanks for the info. I was not aware that there were aftermarket foams available for these tiny tires, but I will definitely give them a try. I haven't vented tires yet, I was trying to avoid doing so as I like to drive around the rivers edge and didn't want them filling up with water like the stock wheels. I think I do need to vent though, as I live in the valley, and whenever I go up to the mountains the tires balloon up and don't grip as well.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #8

I didn't realize the level of tuning with these little trucks even down to the foams. I might have to experiment a bit to see which I prefer. Would type of tire matter with running foams or not? I am currently running rc4wd mudslingers with foams.
91300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:28 AM   #9

Yes, I think tire selection influences foams, just like bigger trucks. I notice a difference in stiffness and sidewall support between the RC4WD 1.0" tires that I have.

Since this thread, I've vented my Milestar Patagonia tires with a hot wire, but still the stock foams. I notice the foams have started to break down from water saturation, especially the cut rears. The tires almost seem flat, and sometimes the tire wads up in a pinchy situation. Still need to try some Crawler Innovations...
Old 09-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #10

I'm running RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler M/TR on their Stamped Steel wheels. Currently no foam and vented front, foam no-vent rear. I think i will vent the rear soon but happy with it overall.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
TRBLSOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Trimming 1.0 tire foams - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-line swampers xl 2.2s...trimming these gigantic foams mwe-maxxowner Tires and Wheels 11 06-07-2015 09:20 PM
trimming deuces wild foams for weights atf300 Tires and Wheels 3 03-08-2015 08:58 AM
Tire trimming - Pullers TwistedXT Tires and Wheels 8 05-20-2013 10:39 PM
trimming memory foams??? newbcrwlr76 Newbie General 6 02-01-2009 07:14 PM