Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Upgrade Barrage or…?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Upgrade Barrage or…?

Currently have a first gen ECX Barrage that I’ve done some upgrades on (electronics, tires, wheels) and like the truck but it’s just too fast for crawling. Would it be more worth it to put a different transmission in it to slow it down or buy a different model and move my good parts to the new one? I do like the WPL C24-1 but open to others, I prioritize reliable scale looking Toyotas

generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Upgrade Barrage or…?

Why not just put in a lower Kv motor and/or gear down (Sop5hie/pinion)? Would be a LOT cheaper than getting a new vehicle.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Barrage is kind of an old platform now, and like you say, they were a bit too fast to crawl with. I believe now furitek has a motor trans option to use a brushless outrunner in similar trucks to yours. (Rgt v1) if I'm not mistaken. But back in the days people would take an old 1/10 scale steering servo and turn it into a motor trans combo that worked well. Another option is the Tamiya mini 4 speed gear box. That is what I used in my Barrage. Works ok, but I think the other options would be better.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Another option that's Inexpensive, bolts right in and is a really nice performance upgrade is to get a transmission or all the parts from a HobbyPlus CR-24/CR-18/FMS ATLAS 6x6/RocHobby Katana V1 (red version)
And a skid plate from a HobbyPlus CR-24.
Swap over your 050 motor and now you essentially have a HobbyPlus CR-24 with a 050 motor and lots more gear reduction. This will give you slower crawling speed and more torque and it's an inexpensive bolt in solution. You could even take it further by using the Barrage 64t spur gear instead of the 54t sour gear from the new transmission. However to make it fit you'd need a 9t or 10t pinion preferably brass and you'll need to slot the motor mount holes downward so the motor rests completely on the skid plate. However, this will significantly increase the torque at the transmission so you may want to upgrade to metal u joints or whole metal driveshafts from the HobbyPlus CR-24 and make sure to not power through a bind or you'll break the smallest transmission gear. Supposedly mofo RC or someone was working on metal gears for the ATLAS 6x6 transmission which is the exact same as the Hobby Plus CR-24/CR-18 which would make it bulletproof.
I've attached a picture of the HobbyPlus transmission with a Barrage 64 spur gear instead of the HobbyPlus 54t spur, with the smaller pinion to make it all fit (don't forget to slot the motor mount holes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Why not just put in a lower Kv motor and/or gear down (Sop5hie/pinion)? Would be a LOT cheaper than getting a new vehicle.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I mean in theory yes you are correct that is the best way to make an RC slower but can you show me a motor that has more turns than the stock one and will bolt in place? It's not brushless so KV is not relevant.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Another option that's Inexpensive, bolts right in and is a really nice performance upgrade is to get a transmission or all the parts from a HobbyPlus CR-24/CR-18/FMS ATLAS 6x6/RocHobby Katana V1 (red version)
And a skid plate from a HobbyPlus CR-24.
Swap over your 050 motor and now you essentially have a HobbyPlus CR-24 with a 050 motor and lots more gear reduction. This will give you slower crawling speed and more torque and it's an inexpensive bolt in solution. You could even take it further by using the Barrage 64t spur gear instead of the 54t sour gear from the new transmission. However to make it fit you'd need a 9t or 10t pinion preferably brass and you'll need to slot the motor mount holes downward so the motor rests completely on the skid plate. However, this will significantly increase the torque at the transmission so you may want to upgrade to metal u joints or whole metal driveshafts from the HobbyPlus CR-24 and make sure to not power through a bind or you'll break the smallest transmission gear. Supposedly mofo RC or someone was working on metal gears for the ATLAS 6x6 transmission which is the exact same as the Hobby Plus CR-24/CR-18 which would make it bulletproof.
I've attached a picture of the HobbyPlus transmission with a Barrage 64 spur gear instead of the HobbyPlus 54t spur, with the smaller pinion to make it all fit (don't forget to slot the motor mount holes.

This is good info! Just a quick google search for a CR24 trans, looks like I can get a transmission case for $5, steel driveshafts for $28 and a gear set for $14. Add in shipping and I'm easily halfway to buying a whole new truck lol. Kind of what I was getting at with upgrading this one or throwing down on a new micro that I won't have to do a bunch of mods to.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
This is good info! Just a quick google search for a CR24 trans, looks like I can get a transmission case for $5, steel driveshafts for $28 and a gear set for $14. Add in shipping and I'm easily halfway to buying a whole new truck lol. Kind of what I was getting at with upgrading this one or throwing down on a new micro that I won't have to do a bunch of mods to.
Last I remember all the parts were about $25 shipped for the basic transmission swap without steel shafts. Definitely less than $30 at the time.
I've bought a few to upgrade mine.
IMO Even if you got another truck you would still be out money from selling a used truck and you're definitely going to be spending money upgrading the new truck as well. I personally wouldn't hesitate to at least do a stock CR-24 transmission swap with skid plate

Last edited by spoo76; 01-21-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

AsiaTees and CrossRC.us often have the parts in stock and cheap

Old 02-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

So I got most of the parts in to do this swap. When trying to assemble the transmission, the main gear shaft fits in the transmission case but the gears themselves don't, the main gear is too big. The other gears fit no problem. What gives?
Old 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Pics for reference

I know I don’t have a bushing in there yet, those are on order now too
Old 02-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #11

I think you have gear two upside down. I believe the smaller gearhead is supposed to mesh with the output gear.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
I think you have gear two upside down. I believe the smaller gearhead is supposed to mesh with the output gear.
You are correct! Now just have to wait for the CR24 bushing kit to arrive. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This was an old picture I took when the CR24 first came out. Hope this helps

Old 02-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
You are correct! Now just have to wait for the CR24 bushing kit to arrive. Thanks!
I wonder if some of the barrage bushings are compatible. I imagine at least a couple would be.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
I wonder if some of the barrage bushings are compatible. I imagine at least a couple would be.
Some are compatible yes. The 2 main bushings where the driveshafts connect are different size but the 3 smaller ones are the same.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
This was an old picture I took when the CR24 first came out. Hope this helps

That helps a lot, thanks!
Old 02-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Man this thing is much slower now! Perfect. I think the pinion/spur is skipping when I try and climb stuff now lol. Brass pinion or just a better mesh?

Also are there any better servos than Hitec? The one I have is strong but loud haha
Old 02-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ok I found the plastic pinion was just spinning on the motor shaft. Does anyone still make brass pinions in .3 mod?

Upgrade Barrage or…? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hillbilly's barrage upgrade bible! hillbillyrc General Scale Talk 179 06-19-2021 12:33 AM
Micro Barrage Motor Upgrade Mongol Pete Micro Scale Rigs 1 01-05-2018 07:07 PM
Barrage upgrade axle Darrell General Crawlers 15 10-05-2017 01:45 PM
Barrage upgrade Darrell General Crawlers 3 06-13-2017 06:59 PM
Ecx barrage motor upgrade? Darrell Newbie General 5 06-08-2017 01:35 PM