Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Tacoma Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCX24 Tacoma Build

Got a scx24, cool little thing but damn it was tippy out of the box. Brass knuckles, brass hexes and aluminum Amazon wheels fixed that. Injora tires aren't something to ignore once you take the foams out and vent them.

Capable little rig for sure. Tons of fun when I don't have time to take the 1/10 out.

Got some Injora shocks which are sweet but took a bit to figure out how best to mount them. Should have came with spacers to move the top out a bit from the frame.

Servo Upgrade, fully HR aluminum linkage throughout.

Right now, C10 body but printed a 3rd gen tacoma cab. Have a tube bed from some other 1/24 crawler I ordered as I didn't want to try and make a bed for this thing.

Problem with new cab, too long for C10 wheelbase. So ordered gladiator parts but now rethinking of maybe going Access Cab instead of Double Cab so I can keep the c10 shorter wheelbase.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX24 Tacoma Build

I think that looks great and will look bad a$$ when done.

Depending on the length of the bed and how far it is from the front of the grille to the back of the doors, you may end up with a single cab, or an extended cab. An extended cab would look sweet. It would be a great place for a hound to sit, or carry a cooler of tiny adult beverages...
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
I think that looks great and will look bad a$$ when done.

Depending on the length of the bed and how far it is from the front of the grille to the back of the doors, you may end up with a single cab, or an extended cab. An extended cab would look sweet. It would be a great place for a hound to sit, or carry a cooler of tiny adult beverages...
Access Cab is Toyotas version of "extended" aka half doors but ya, waiting till that bed gets here from Horizon (actually ordered 2 cause they were cheap enough) before I decide what I'm doing.

As for stuff in the back see, as my wife would say "Great.....more projects, don't you have enough already" lol. First I'd have to figure out an interior.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

New beds arrived!!! Now to sort this wheel base matter (and possibly cab style) out

Old 04-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice!
Looks like the Barrage back-half.

If I decide to cage one of mine, I will likely modify the Atlas back-half that I removed from mine.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Nice!
Looks like the Barrage back-half.

If I decide to cage one of mine, I will likely modify the Atlas back-half that I removed from mine.
Exactly what it is. I was looking for 3d print files for something for a bed cause I didn't want to do the normal truck bed. Stumbled accross this one.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Exactly what it is. I was looking for 3d print files for something for a bed cause I didn't want to do the normal truck bed. Stumbled accross this one.

I dig the cage back half. There's quite a few options on thangs.com for 3d printable cages, but I guess it's not that helpful since you already got them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Afterbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang View Post
I dig the cage back half. There's quite a few options on thangs.com for 3d printable cages, but I guess it's not that helpful since you already got them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
So many different websites for printable files lol. Still trying to figure them all out. Thingiverse and cults didn't have crap.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

In my experience so far, you're better off trying to get away from Thingiverse and Cults anyway.

Thingiverse' site just kinda sucks in general (performance wise), and sometimes, it feels like they're actively trying to make it worse.

There's a lot cool things that seem to get posted exclusively on Cults3D but I've read a few reports that they're a little shady when it comes to paying creators their due.

I would recommend checking out Thangs, MyMiniFactory and PrusaPrinters. I haven't experienced/read anything negative about those three yet (I haven't been seeking negative, admittedly. It might be out there)

PrusaPrinters.org has the added benefit, to the creator, of a point system that (eventually) rewards creators with free Prusa filament based on activity on their designs (primarily number of downloads, I believe)

If you want a broad, aggregate search, across most other sites, try Yeggi.com

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thangs seems to link more to one's like thingiverse. Almost like a couple other sites that just find where the files are for you. Also for some reason Thangs website lags or locks up bad. Maybe just issue tonight I don't know. I've had 0 issues with anything on thingiverse. Didn't know cults was bad. Minifactory has been a lot of my "go to". Mainly just depends on where I find what I'm looking for.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yeggi often leads to Thingiverse because Thingiverse is huge and there's a lot of stuff on there. Thingiverse just isn't optimized well.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
In my experience so far, you're better off trying to get away from Thingiverse and Cults anyway.

Thingiverse' site just kinda sucks in general (performance wise), and sometimes, it feels like they're actively trying to make it worse.

There's a lot cool things that seem to get posted exclusively on Cults3D but I've read a few reports that they're a little shady when it comes to paying creators their due.

I would recommend checking out Thangs, MyMiniFactory and PrusaPrinters. I haven't experienced/read anything negative about those three yet (I haven't been seeking negative, admittedly. It might be out there)

PrusaPrinters.org has the added benefit, to the creator, of a point system that (eventually) rewards creators with free Prusa filament based on activity on their designs (primarily number of downloads, I believe)

If you want a broad, aggregate search, across most other sites, try Yeggi.com

Thanks for the info, sad to hear bout cults. Lots of cool things there. I’ve never really had any problems with Thingiverse, although I haven’t been there in a year or so, so maybe it’s gotten worse.

Quote:
So many different websites for printable files lol. Still trying to figure them all out. Thingiverse and cults didn't have crap.

Really? I find all kinds of cool stuff on Cults, one of the best places for a wide range of RC Bodies IMO. Thingiverse, I can’t really find anything that catches my attention for RC. But to be fair, I really only look for bodies, pretty much everything else I can design myself. Too much detail in a body for my skill level right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I’ve never really had any problems with Thingiverse
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My biggest issues are;

(1)They made it so you can't download files if you an AdBlock (That's fine, they have to support their site somehow) The problem is now, "download all", rather that downloading a single .zip, it takes you to the list of files that you have to download individually, each with their own 5 sec delay, each with their own ad.
(2)If you're flipping through the "front" page (basically everything uploaded in chronological order) if you click on something to look closer, then click back, you're taken back to page one rather than the page you were on. If had the same issue with search results to.
(3)Once your saved list is over a certain number it will be loaded on sets. These sets will load 30 (iirc) items at a times. After a few sets, the webpage will load the new set of stuff then jump back up to the last set. You have to figure out where you left off, only for it to happen again after another set of items.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ok to put this thread back on track lol.

Gladiator frame and links came today. This makes the perfect wheelbase for this build! I'd have to shorten the c10 wheelbase a bit to go to the shorter version cab.

The joy of RC manufacturers not have a clue how to make something to scale. Because this cab is exactly 1/24 scale of a tacoma lol.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Gladiator frame and links came today. This makes the perfect wheelbase for this build!
Awesome, sounds like it's going to work out pretty well!!!
Old 04-18-2022, 09:07 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Ok a little progress here.

Got the body and bed as "1 piece" now. Had to adjustvthr design of the back of the cab plate and reprint it, then re-weld to the cab. Now uses the mounting holes the bed has.

The frame matter is sorted, high clearance links should be here tomorrow. Frame lines up perfect.

Printing a rear bracket now that will allow the body assembly to tilt in the back like factory scx24 bodies do. Printed prototype but had to make adjustments to work correctly.

Front will use the normal velcro method that the gladiator body would use (frame kit came with the front mount plate). So 0 body pins.

Once rear bracket is done, just down to finishing work on the cab and scale accessories including lights.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Alright got body fitted. Have some tweaks to make for tire rub and sits a bit higher on the shocks than expected but on my little test course the longer wheel base is almost cheating lol.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

That trucks turning out really cool.

IMO, correct the tire rub and call it a day. I think the body height, combined with the cage back, looks perfect.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm just going to go with softer springs is all. Bring it down a tad, need to add weight too, it's pretty tippy again with the plastic body.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm just going to go with softer springs is all. Bring it down a tad, need to add weight too, it's pretty tippy again with the plastic body.

Gotcha

SCX24 Tacoma Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Toyota Tacoma chino Micro Scale Rigs 13 06-13-2019 07:48 AM
Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build) 802coma Axial SCX-10 190 08-08-2016 06:39 PM
c1 honcho/tacoma my first build thread fish-hunter Axial SCX-10 35 05-19-2014 11:07 AM
Honcho now Tacoma Build!!! BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 236 08-18-2011 11:49 AM