Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FMS Atlas bearing install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #1

Default FMS Atlas bearing install

Not new to rc but new to crawling. I've put bearings in numerous 1/10 scale buggies and trucks over the years, but this Atlas has me stumped on the front axle. How the Hell do you get the bushings off and the bearings on? They won't slide over the dog bone that fits into the drive cup. Sorry if it's been discussed before but my old ass couldn't find it after looking through 6 pages of search results...
bujeezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2022, 04:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FMS Atlas bearing install

You need to tap the dog bone pin so it sits flush with one side of the axle shaft. You should be able to work the bushing off.

When you tap the pin back to the center, if it feels loose add some red loctite.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #3

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was it or if the axle magically came apart somehow. Just put a Quicrun 1060 and an Ox motor in the truck and it's awesome now. Those 2 bearings were bothering the shit outta me though. Lol!
Old 05-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Good info Rob!

That reminds me, I need to give my little Atlas some love.
I have a full bearing kit and a Torquebeast 2.0 to get installed.

I am also thinking of dropping in a HW 1060 ESC I have sitting around, but we'll see.

Honestly, this little Atlas has been one of my more reliable rigs out of the box. Other than a flatbed, she is still bone stock.
All the work listed above that I want to do, is purely out of "want", as it is still running just fine.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Good info Rob!

That reminds me, I need to give my little Atlas some love.
I have a full bearing kit and a Torquebeast 2.0 to get installed.

I am also thinking of dropping in a HW 1060 ESC I have sitting around, but we'll see.

Honestly, this little Atlas has been one of my more reliable rigs out of the box. Other than a flatbed, she is still bone stock.
All the work listed above that I want to do, is purely out of "want", as it is still running just fine.
I almost went with the Torqebeast 2.0 but when I asked the guy for some specs, he said it wasn't that big of an upgrade. Kind of confusing honestly. The Ox motor is fantastic. My stock motor would get so hot after just a few minutes, I thought something must be binding. Took everything apart but no binding issues. That's when I started looking for upgrades. The 1060 totally changes the low-end torque curve. No more stall, stall, stall, FULL THROTTLE. Lol! So I don't know if the ball bearings, esc or motor solved my heat issue or if it was a combination of some or all of it. I can run a full battery through it now and still hold my finger on the motor. Before, it would burn me immediately. I had to order a new transmission case because the heat from the motor distorted the motor plate portion.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujeezus View Post
I almost went with the Torqebeast 2.0 but when I asked the guy for some specs, he said it wasn't that big of an upgrade. Kind of confusing honestly. The Ox motor is fantastic. My stock motor would get so hot after just a few minutes, I thought something must be binding. Took everything apart but no binding issues. That's when I started looking for upgrades. The 1060 totally changes the low-end torque curve. No more stall, stall, stall, FULL THROTTLE. Lol! So I don't know if the ball bearings, esc or motor solved my heat issue or if it was a combination of some or all of it. I can run a full battery through it now and still hold my finger on the motor. Before, it would burn me immediately. I had to order a new transmission case because the heat from the motor distorted the motor plate portion.
I had not noticed any issues with the motor getting hot, but I am not sure if I checked either... I definitely don't remember burning myself.

For the price, I will be a bit disappointed if the Torquebeast 2.0 is not a significant upgrade. I'll let everyone know once I do it. And if it is not, I will let MOFO know as well...

I really just need to get of my (you know what...) and do the motor swap and see what the difference of just doing that is.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The only complaints I have had with the Atalas is how loud the esc is and the 5-wire servo. I wound up installing the Hobby Plus performance upgrade esc, receiver and mg90 servo. Still running the stock 100t motor. I have thought about swapping the transmission for the enduro24 transmission/transfer case. That should gear it down a little more.

Would definitely be interested in hearing the results of the wp1060 and the Ox and Torquebeast motor combo
Old 05-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
The only complaints I have had with the Atalas is how loud the esc is and the 5-wire servo. I wound up installing the Hobby Plus performance upgrade esc, receiver and mg90 servo. Still running the stock 100t motor. I have thought about swapping the transmission for the enduro24 transmission/transfer case. That should gear it down a little more.

Would definitely be interested in hearing the results of the wp1060 and the Ox and Torquebeast motor combo
I changed out to the Ox motor and 1060 at the same time so I not sure if 1 helps more than the other individually but together they completely change the slow crawl of the Atlas. Before it would just be zero to wide open. Flat surfaces were ok but any kind of resistance and it would bog, bog, then BAM! Full throttle. The stock esc is very loud although my servo only has 3 wires. There is just a tiny, hardly perceptible whine from the 1060. Now the majority of noise comes from the gears in the transmission which isn't helped by the warped motor plate. Hopefully have a new case in early next week.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I changed out to the Ox motor and 1060 at the same time so I not sure if 1 helps more than the other individually but together they completely change the slow crawl of the Atlas. Before it would just be zero to wide open. Flat surfaces were ok but any kind of resistance and it would bog, bog, then BAM! Full throttle. The stock esc is very loud although my servo only has 3 wires. There is just a tiny, hardly perceptible whine from the 1060. Now the majority of noise comes from the gears in the transmission which isn't helped by the warped motor plate. Hopefully have a new case in early next week.
Sweet, I am driven to get mine worked on when I get home. I am headed down to the lower 48 for my daughters college graduation later this week, so it'll likely be after the 16th, or 17th before I get to it.

My Atlas still does pretty good with the slow crawl on flat ground and over obstacles. I only had some resistance when an axle shaft rusted and was binding against the bushing. It was a few months after a water, or snow run and it did not get put away properly... No big deal, it gave me a chance to do some diff and axle grease work.

Mine is definitely noisy, that's for sire. Really, getting rid of the ESC whine and a little better torque curve and mine would be a much happier little beast.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #10

I own a Clod Buster, SMT10, Tetra18 X2 and a Grand Hauler and this little Atlas gets the most radio time. Does anyone make an oil filled shock for it? That's my only gripe left.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I own a Clod Buster, SMT10, Tetra18 X2 and a Grand Hauler and this little Atlas gets the most radio time. Does anyone make an oil filled shock for it? That's my only gripe left.
I am not positive, but I believe the Carisma MSA-1E shocks are the same size and they have an oil filled version.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #12

I looked at the Charismas but I'm not sure the metal bottom mount is compatible with the ball ends on the Atlas. The shocks come with their own ball ends but the Atlas uses a double ball end that both the shocks and links mount to.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post

thats funny, i ripped the trans and transfer case out of my enduro24 and replaced it with an atlas transmission, made the low speed much much better. I always felt the enduro was geared too high but as for the numbers i have no idea
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #14

New wheels came in!

FMS Atlas bearing install - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMS ROC Atlas 6x6 Shape_Shifter Micro Scale Rigs 76 05-21-2022 10:35 PM
FMS Atlas wheels PEEWEE1965 Micro Scale Rigs 7 02-12-2022 03:40 PM
FMS Atlas 6x6 Crawler 1/18 donaldsneffe General Scale Talk 16 01-24-2022 04:43 AM
FMS Atlas 6X6 spare battery? lightbg Micro Scale Rigs 4 11-05-2020 01:19 AM
FMS Atlas 6x6 RødeDK Multi Axle Rigs 4 09-07-2020 09:22 AM