Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: School me on brushed motors...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default School me on brushed motors...

I've probably doubled the weight (and cost!) of my SCX-24 with brass and alum. parts, so I know my stock motor ain't gonna' last forever.
Eventually I'll go brushless, but for now I just want a better than stock replacement. Which brushed motors produce the best slow speed torque? 030 or 050? 88t is stock, and I see 80, 66, 55, and 50t (I think). Fewer turns typically equates to more speed, but what does that do to slow crawl-ability?
Tell me what you have and how it works for you!
RudyF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: School me on brushed motors...

Number of turns doesn't always mean speed. Poles matter too.

Not don't quote me cause this is just an example to explain not actual exact figures.

A 35t 5 pole motor will have similar torque to a 55t 3 pole. So don't just use turns for reference, look at poles as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you are comparing the same amount of poles, i think the more turns the more TQ, less rpm. i could be wrong though its been a while since i've really thought about it lol
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Generally speaking most 030 and 050 motors I've seen have similar armatures and poles, so the motor "turns" are comparable.

More turns of wire and the higher number is generally more torque, slower top speed, and less current draw

Less turns of wire generally have less torque,faster too speed, and draw more current.

The Mofo 050 seems popular for a bolt in option,but I'd personally skip all 030 and 050 motors in favor of a PN Racing 130 motor in 90t.
It's a larger and also significantly higher quality motor with significantly better brushes. They are also rebuildable. Pair that with a motor plate that allows forward mounting of the motor so you can use a smaller pinion.
With a stock ESC it's the best budget setup, especially if yours is already a V2 ESC.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
With a stock ESC it's the best budget setup, especially if yours is already a V2 ESC.
I was not aware of the V1/V2 rx/esc, had to GTS.*
So now after a bunch more reading, I'm thinking that smooth slow crawl is more a function of the ESC than the motor itself? (To a point anyway...)
Is that correct?

*Google That Sh#%
Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyF6 View Post
I was not aware of the V1/V2 rx/esc, had to GTS.*

So now after a bunch more reading, I'm thinking that smooth slow crawl is more a function of the ESC than the motor itself? (To a point anyway...)

Is that correct?

*Google That Sh#%
Low speed smooth throttle control comes from a few things, each with their own pros and cons.
With brushed poles in the armature, the wind pattern,and even bearings in the can make a difference, but at this scale there's not typically an option for those things other than the PN racing 130 90t. That imo is the best brushed option.
Other ways to improve low speed throttle control. Good bearings instead of worn bearings or bushings, make sure the wheels, axles and transmission rotate freely, more gear reduction.
For example worm gear axles instead of ring and pinion or a transmission with more gear reduction. A higher quality ESC also makes a difference. Most stock RTR micro ESCs are garbage. SCX24 V1 is ok as far as smooth throttle control. The V2 is significantly smoother from what I've seen and read, but I haven't run one yet. As far as aftermarket there's castle creations micros, Tekin BXR, Holmes Hobbies, are all great options. I don't usually recommend Furitek anymore as they've been getting lots of failures burning up and FOC doesn't have an advantage for brushed anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ok, update time.....

I've now tripled the cost of my rig...
Went all the way with the Furitek Stinger brushless kit!
WOW! It's incredible to say the least.
After talking to the SCX 24 guru at my LHS, I just went for it when I decided anything less wasn't going to do!!

Last edited by RudyF6; 06-01-2022 at 04:37 AM.

School me on brushed motors... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Holmes motors 'Retro Sport' go fast brushed motors HumboldtEF Electronics 0 08-11-2021 07:36 PM
Please School Me On Tekin Pro4 Motors! Dini Electronics 63 10-03-2012 09:25 PM
No more brushed motors for me! Scattman Chit Chat 3 07-04-2006 03:36 PM
School me on lathe motors Muddinguy Electronics 18 03-17-2006 03:59 PM