Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New EAAYRC Patrion 1/18 - RocHobby Katana "in cheap"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2020, 02:21 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New EAZYRC Patrion 1/18 - RocHobby Katana "in cheap"?

Hi,
check this new 1/18 Crawler out:

EAAYRC Patrion 1/18

And here a pic of the RocHobby Katana:

Looks like a clone?
Smaller battery, but comes with 2 batteries... and much, much cheaper...

Interesting.

I do have the (rather pricy) Katana, probably also will have to check out this new "clone".

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 06-18-2022 at 01:31 AM.
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2020, 02:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New EAAYRC Patrion 1/18 - RocHobby Katana "in cheap"?

BTW:
Seems to come with a 5-wire servo, so different, cheaper electronics than the Katana.

Walter
Old 11-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't call it a "clone" implying it's not made from the same parts or a copy. Most of the companies have different names and get RCs from the same manufacturer. This looks like a 1/18 Katana that's unpainted and has a decal graphic on the side. I can only see one thing that's different..
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
BTW:
Seems to come with a 5-wire servo, so different, cheaper electronics than the Katana.

Walter
Where do you see anything about a 5 wire servo? I don't see any pictures or mention of it.
If that's the case it might use the older CR-24 HobbyPlus style electronics, to save $ and get rid of the remote lights
Those were 1s however so maybe not. I wouldn't necessarily call this a clone at any rate, just a different version

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So the part that I mentioned look different was the axles. They aren't the typical axle style used on most of the 124 and 118 ring and pinion crawlers, like HobbyPlus. The pumpkin looks huge, though familiar and the carrier hubs look very big like they would be for portals, but it definitely doesn't look like a portal axle with the shaft coming through the center like every other axle. I'm not necessarily a fan of portal axles, but fake portals seems pretty lame. Without knowing more I wouldn't get this just based on the mystery axles. The katana has axles that are already proven with parts available plenty of places

Old 11-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Where do you see anything about a 5 wire servo? I don't see any pictures or mention of it.
description says "Servo:9g 5line"... so probably 5-wire?

I will buy this anyway.

I highly prefer to make my own RC stuff.
In models such as the Katana, the Atlas, the CR18 and 24s... I am always feeling bad someway to remove the stock electronics... it is not that bad.
I like those small TurboRC 91803G-VT radios, even did already buy a blue and a white one (for "her"), do not necessarily have to use my 8ch GT3C or my Noble in all cars. Mainly for indoors those small radios are really ok, the more since they have a 3rd channel and all work with the small cheap 4-ch receivers (and the Willys Jeep 1/6 receiver).
Do already have 10+ of those radios (also those RGT with the knobs, the 4-ch from Willy), TurboRacing, Hobbyplus, RGT, Uruav, Amewi, Carson, Modster, Hobby Porter, CoolRC, etc.

So if this new Patrion comes with the same chassis and body as the Katana, but with crappy electronics, it is much easier for me ;)
50 € less... is a lot, the Katana is 50% more expensive.

Walter
Old 11-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So the part that I mentioned look different was the axles. They aren't the typical axle style used on most of the 124 and 118 ring and pinion crawlers, like HobbyPlus. The pumpkin looks huge, though familiar and the carrier hubs look very big like they would be for portals, but it definitely doesn't look like a portal axle with the shaft coming through the center like every other axle. I'm not necessarily a fan of portal axles, but fake portals seems pretty lame. Without knowing more I wouldn't get this just based on the mystery axles. The katana has axles that are already proven with parts available plenty of places

Interesting.

And you are right:

Katana:

Patrion:

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 11-24-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just because of the axles, and likely different transmission I'm not sold until I see more. The CR-18 style axle has been long proven since the Barrage, and that style since the sumo. The axle on this is definitely different. I think I've seen those huge pumpkins on something else, maybe a cheap toy, but I'm not sure what. I looked up some WPL axles and that's not itm

Last edited by spoo76; 11-24-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

So I changed my web browser from mobile view to desktop and I was able to see the "5 line" spec I couldn't see.
I also see while it does come with 2 lipos they are only 380mah instead of the 600mah that comes with the CR-18, Katana, and ATLAS. I wonder if that's Because the 2 smaller were still cheaper than one 600mah, or because they've changed something and need the space. I'm curious about those axles and transmission. I'd like to see them apart

Old 11-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think I've seen those huge pumpkins on something else, maybe a cheap toy, but I'm not sure what. I looked up some WPL axles and that's not itm
WPL are much larger.

Maybe SG 1802 - ?
I do have it.
This truck shows awsome value for the money.
Comes with mostly hex-hardware! Real (plastic) beadlock wheels, nice good looking tires which perform quite well (ok, no RC4WDs, but ok).
3rd channel on the rx with standard servo plug.
Unfortunately low speed response is very bad, so I will have to change the electronics. Mine will get a RC4WD 1/18 Bronco body (wo original interior, does not fit).

I really like this cheapo.

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 11-24-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
WPL are much larger.

Maybe SG 1802 - ?
I do have it.
Comes with mostly hex-hardware! Real (plastic) beadlock wheels, nice good looking tires which perform quite well (ok, no RC4WDs, but ok).
Unfortunately low speed response is very bad, so I will have to change the electronics. Mine will get a RC4WD 1/18 Bronco body (wo original interior, does not fit).

Quote:
WPL are much larger.

Maybe SG 1802 - ?
I do have it.

The WPL are much larger in scale, but close enough in physical width. people have used the WPL 1/16 Hilux body with RC4WD Mini Gelande axles and either wheel spacers or the steel wheel centers reversed for more offset. Either way I didn't think they were using the exact same axles as WPL, I thought maybe it was a shorter version.

And it's definitely not the SG1802, that's an 1/24 ECX Barrage/RGT Adventurer V1/ FTX Outback 1.0 with a 1/24 Carisma MSA1-E body and bumper. No idea why they claim it's 1/18.

The Patrion is $119, but has those mystery fake portal axles, a mystery transmission, and a different ESC which likely doesn't have the working remote lights or brake lights. I'd still like to see those axles and that transmission broken down to see what it's like.

the katana is $150, but that $30 difference might be worth it depending on those fake portals axles https://m.aliexpress.com/item/100500...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hi,
Quote:

And it's definitely not the SG1802, that's an 1/24 ECX Barrage/RGT Adventurer V1/ FTX Outback 1.0 with a 1/24 Carisma MSA1-E body and bumper. No idea why they claim it's 1/18.
thats not true.
Why do you write this? Obviously you never held it in your hands.
I do have it, as I do also have all the other trucks mentioned below, and I compared it to those.

It is significantly larger than the 1/24 RGT and CR24s.
It does have nearly the same wheelbase as the RC4WD Bronco (about 5 mm shorter), width fits perfectly.
It does even have a slightly longer wheelbase than the Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki and Jeep, wídth is about 1 cm wider than Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki, Jeep and also Defender and Mercedes body (which, BTW, do have the same wheelbase as the 1/24 CR24 and RGT).
Width is slightly smaller (less than 5 mm) than CR18, Katana, Atlas, but wheelbase is significantly shorter than CR18 and Co. (about 2 cm).

So it is for sure no 1/24 or at least for sure not the size of "the" 1/24 trucks we know (CR, RGT, Barrage).

It is significantly larger... about the size of the RC4WD 1/18 trucks.

1/18, 1/20, 1/24... difficult and not exact anyway...
I measured the Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki after I received it and it is between 1/18 and 1/19.
However, Defender, Mercedes and Jeep do have the same "size", but are of course significantly larger cars than the Suzuki... so probably 1/20 - 1/22? (Did not measure and calculate).

SG 1802 is "one size class" larger than the 1/24 trucks.

And for only about 50 bucks it is really a bang for the buck, compared to the others.
Biggest surprise for me was the hex-hardware ;)

Walter
Old 11-25-2020, 02:09 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

BTW:

there is already a 12% off coupon for the Patrion 1/18: BG175EARC

Walter
Old 11-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And for only about 50 bucks it is really a bang for the buck, compared to the others.
How? It's only a $30 difference, it can't be that much of a ground breaking deal. Plus, that $30 difference is there for a reason, they had to have cut corners somewhere to bring the price down. Trust me, most Chinesum parts SUCK!!! The only people Ive had good parts from is INJORA and KYX.

Hex hardware is nice. Cheaper crap normally deals with Phillips. I even had one Chinesum part use a star bit
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hi,

thats not true.

Why do you write this? Obviously you never held it in your hands.

I do have it, as I do also have all the other trucks mentioned below, and I compared it to those.

It is significantly larger than the 1/24 RGT and CR24s.

It does have nearly the same wheelbase as the RC4WD Bronco (about 5 mm shorter), width fits perfectly.

It does even have a slightly longer wheelbase than the Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki and Jeep, wídth is about 1 cm wider than Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki, Jeep and also Defender and Mercedes body (which, BTW, do have the same wheelbase as the 1/24 CR24 and RGT).

Width is slightly smaller (less than 5 mm) than CR18, Katana, Atlas, but wheelbase is significantly shorter than CR18 and Co. (about 2 cm).

So it is for sure no 1/24 or at least for sure not the size of "the" 1/24 trucks we know (CR, RGT, Barrage).

It is significantly larger... about the size of the RC4WD 1/18 trucks.

1/18, 1/20, 1/24... difficult and not exact anyway...

I measured the Mini-Z 4x4 Suzuki after I received it and it is between 1/18 and 1/19.

However, Defender, Mercedes and Jeep do have the same "size", but are of course significantly larger cars than the Suzuki... so probably 1/20 - 1/22? (Did not measure and calculate).

SG 1802 is "one size class" larger than the 1/24 trucks.

Walter
No, I don't have the version branded as the SG1802, but I have a few RGT Adventurers, FTX Outbacks, and ECX Barrages that use the same chasis, axles, and transmission. I also have the Carisma MSA1-E, which uses the same body and bumper.

The axles are the same as the RGT Adventurer FTX Outback and ECX Barrage, the internals of those axles are the same as the HobbyPlus CR-24.
And as you've said these axles are more narrow than the CR-18, which is just like the FTX/RGT, & CR-24 in terms of physical size.

Just because the physical size or wheelbase is close to the 1/18 mini Gelande doesn't mean they are the same scale as each other.
The size of the body compared to the real version determines the scale. For example if I put a 1/20 model body on my 1/24 scx24 it's now a 1/20, If I put on the 1/18 mini Gelande body which fits the SCX24 Nearly perfectly it's now 1/18.

The 1/24 Carisma MSA1-E ford style body used on the SG-1802 is significantly smaller than a 1/18 ford truck.
Here's a picture of the 1/24 Carisma MSA1-E to compare to the SG-1802. You can see it's using the same 1/24 body, front bumper, and light bar.
The SG-1802 chassis, axles, and transmission are nearly identical to the FTX Outback RGT Adventurer and ECX Barrage.
Like i said, for the money it has potential and because it shares parts with a popular truck replacements and upgrades are easy to find, but its 1/24 not 1/18

Old 11-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hi,

Quote:

The 1/24 Carisma MSA1-E ford style body used on the SG-1802 is significantly smaller than a 1/18 ford truck.
I do not have a Carisma.

The SG 1802 body has nearly exactly the same dimensions as the 1/18 Ford Bronco Body, less than 1 cm shorter, about 5 mm shorter wheelbase, and even a little bit wider.
The SG 1802 axles are different to the CR 18/24 axles and to the RGT 1/24 axles, for example the "endpiece" siths farther outside (so the screws mounting the endpieces to the center axle piece are farther outside), the center piece is wider, the SG comes with nice hex-hardware, ...

Guess it makes no sense writing more.

I will take some pictures tomorrow showing the different types side by side - and post here...

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 11-25-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=spoo76;6054840]

I cannot see the other pictures you have uploaded.

But only comparing my SG 1802 body to this picture of the Carisma body:
Yes, they seem to be very similar.
But the SG body seems to be "lower and wider" (hard to say from a picture).
The SG is missing the notches on the top of the side walls of the loading area.
Also, the two grooves in the center of the bonnet: In the Carisma they seem to bee much nearer to each other than in the SG.
The lower front end of the front fenders also seem to be slightly different, more rounded in the Carisma, more angled in the SG.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Odd the other pictures are scrambled now. Doesn't matter they are just some other photos of both trucks. I do see the lack of details in the bed notches, and the fender flares seem less trimmed than the MSA1-E, but the wheelbase is the same between both trucks.
I still say this isn't 1/18th of a full sized ford pickup,
but that's irrelevant. I think it's a decent source of axles so long as the plastic is ok, and possibly wheels and tires.
I'm more curious about the wheels and tires than the truck itself honestly. You or someone has said they aren't very hard, but not soft. How do they compare to the FTX/RGT HobbyPlus tires as far as softness? Are the tires glued or are the wheels bead lock?

Also add you planning to purchase the Patrion? I'm really curious about those axles and that transmission, But I'm unwilling to purchase it without knowing considering I've already bought so many new micros and minis this year haha

Last edited by spoo76; 11-25-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:15 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hi,
yes, I will buy the Patrion.

Do you have the Carisma Ford body?
Take measurements, and I will take measurements of the SG and we will see.

Will post pics of the axles in the afternoon.

Yes, it was me talking about tires and rims.
They are true plastic beadlocks.
I like the tires, the "look".
They are ok soft, but RC4WD and RGT tires (and also Hobbyplus) are far softer and stickier.
I cannot compare now, my SG-1802 is in parts, I did already paint the rims white, it will get a RC4WD Bronco Body (I did already paint red-white).
Unfortunately I found I need to longen the wheelbase for about 5 mm, or 5 mm - 1 cm, whats not that easy (because of the 4 mm balls on the joints, do not have proper rodends, and longer links will need a bit of tinkering).

For you performance seems to be the most important point.
For me, I like "scale look", performance... important, but not the most important part.
That is why I will probably keep the stock tires of the SG, they are looking good.
Do have RGT, CR, RC4WD tires here, so can compare those to the SG. I am sure, SG will loose.
(However, my nearly 2 years old CR24, bought as Amewi, seems to have far less sticky and soft tires than another one, bought this year as URUAV, and the spare tires sold by Asiatees seem to be even stickier and softer, not sure, if they changed tire compound).
Old 11-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Some pics, as promised:

SG vs. Bronco Body, 1802 is about 1 cm shorter, but equal or even a little bit wider.

SG 1802 tires (without screws - need M 1.6) vs. RC4WD Rock Crusher 1.0

SG 1802 vs. RGT 1/24 and CR24 tires

SG 1802 vs Katana

SG 1802 rear axle vs. CR24 rear axle

1802 vs CR18

SC 1802 vs. RGT 1/24 rear axles

Didnt check the gears yet, central gearbox base plate seems to be very similar or the same as RGT 1/24...

However, axles do have a different design to RGT and Hooby Plus

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 11-26-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
.....The Patrion is $119, but has those mystery fake portal axles.....
I must be missing something. I don't see portals on the Patriot.

Oh, and on another topic, one of my pet peeves with the marketing of these retailers on these smaller rigs is they almost never show up close photos of just the chassis it self. That's the most important part to me.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

New EAAYRC Patrion 1/18 - RocHobby Katana "in cheap"? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RocHobby 1/18 Katana CR-18 based HardBody!! spoo76 Micro Scale Rigs 32 01-24-2022 04:40 AM
Roc Hobby 1/18 Katana "Teraz" unlicensed MTRs vs RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MTRs.l spoo76 Micro Scale Rigs 2 03-02-2021 11:11 AM
ROCHobby Katana: New 1/18 Toyota Land Cruiser trail truck with hardbody donaldsneffe General Scale Talk 1 08-27-2020 04:47 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM