Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: AX24 XC-2 Thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX24 XC-2 Thoughts

I've seen some of the YT video reviews but I don't put too much faith in them. If they bad mouth it they won't get any more free stuff.

So I would much rather hear from someone with 1st hand experience. Right now I have at least 1 of every SCX24 and doubles of some. They run from light mods to heavy mods to custom builds. I was thinking of adding the AX24 to the stable, I had an AX10 and wish I had never traded it.

Appears they torque twist really bad and it takes a ton of front weight to get it tamed down at least that's what I'm seeing on YT

So what are your thoughts on the AX24?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: AX24 XC-2 Thoughts

Hard Pass. Its ugly and most of us have already tried or added 4WS to our SCX24. To me, its a waste of money to redo something most of us have already done to the preexisting SCX's. I would get a FMS max smasher for something really different and fun to drive.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've got one I'm modding to about the max with. My buddy has a fully modded scx24 and even bone stock the ax kills the scx. Way better performance. Fully modded it should be really impressive. Fun little thing.
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
They run from light mods to heavy mods to custom builds. I was thinking of adding the AX24 to the stable
Not that I have one for first hand experience but would you really leave it alone when you get one if you are worried about the weight up front anyways?
hnoroian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
Not that I have one for first hand experience but would you really leave it alone when you get one if you are worried about the weight up front anyways?
Well that would depend on how it handled out of the box. It's a RTR I suspect it will need something. All of mine except the Jeep that is still in the box are modded in one way or another.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think it is the most capable Axial 1/24 straight from the box. I love mine, So far all I have done is add some Injora shocks with stiffer springs. Out of the box it had a ton of bouncy body roll but the new shocks tamed that.

It may not be to every one's taste but I'm willing to bet if you love your SCX24's, you will love the AX24 too. It's my first experience with 4 wheel steer and I like it more than I thought I would.
Doom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom! View Post
I think it is the most capable Axial 1/24 straight from the box.
I'm willing to bet if you love your SCX24's, you will love the AX24 too. It's my first experience with 4 wheel steer and I like it more than I thought I would.
x2 to this.

It definitely needs some help. Lets not pretend the SCX24 is a super capable machine out of the box, it burns up servos, burns up motors, comes with crappy tires, and a bouncy suspension. Just about all of us end up with 90% of the SCX being aftermarket parts.

The AX has all the same downfalls, but the tires are actually pretty good, and it has 4ws. I like, a lot more than I though. I upgraded the motor, and the servos, and moved around the battery and ESC for better forward weight bias and its pretty impressive.

Its ugly? ok change the body. Again, something that most of us eventually do anyway.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

it takes a ton of front weight to get it tamed down at least that's what I'm seeing on YT
FM2RC has a video showing how he moved around the battery and ESC, I followed the same route of what he did and it makes a big difference. If you had an AX10 and miss it, then for me that would be a no brainer if your into 24 scale.
here you can see a couple pics of how I did mine... Knuckle Busters AX24 build.

Last edited by KBR97; 03-16-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97 View Post
FM2RC has a video showing how he moved around the battery and ESC, I followed the same route of what he did and it makes a big difference. If you had an AX10 and miss it, then for me that would be a no brainer if your into 24 scale.
here you can see a couple pics of how I did mine... Knuckle Busters AX24 build.
Your pictures and explanation made much more sense than watching 2FMRC's video, his how-to videos are hard to follow, he repeats himself and goes off topic and then back.

I did order one the other day and with a few tweaks I have it crawling decent, but not good yet.

I swapped out the spring like you did and in the front I put some small springs I had under the piston. I also added a 8.8g front diff cover. I have a brass servo mount coming too.

I might try the battery mod but I think instead of hacking up the stock tray I'll throw something together in CAD.

Did you notice that the rear body mount hits the servo under compression. I'm working on a different body mount to eliminate or at least make it better.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Did you notice that the rear body mount hits the servo under compression. I'm working on a different body mount to eliminate or at least make it better.
Yea it hits a little bit. I pulled mine out and sanded it down a little with a nail file to get it where I want.
But it also acts like a bumpstop in a way lol.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'm strongly considering picking one of these up and modding it to see just how capable I can make it. I had an AX10 way back when and like Gramps wish now that I would have held on to it. I think these are good looking little crawlers and to me they are just as much fun to work on and upgrade as they are to drive. I need to finish a couple other projects first but I can see one of these landing on my bench before the end of summer.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:27 AM   #12

Well I got to mess with 1 this past weekend a lil bit that a buddy has. After driving that around compaired to my scx24s Im putting mind up for sale and plan on getting a couple of these instead for me & my son once the price comes down or I find a deal on a couple. Was just more fun to drive to me.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

My AX24 was my first rc crawler . The esc could be much better for slow crawling. I am currently climbing a 55 degree ironing board with the modifications I have done (without limiting straps) . I hope to be doing a build thread soon .

I wanted a deadbolt in red , it wasn’t in stock , ended up with the Orange AX instead .
NWCT24CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I ended up putting a Lizard Pro, Holmes 66T motor, and Radiolink RG4 rx in mine. Also swapped out the tires and wheels. I'm pretty happy with the way it crawls now.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I ended up putting a Lizard Pro, Holmes 66T motor, and Radiolink RG4 rx in mine. Also swapped out the tires and wheels. I'm pretty happy with the way it crawls now.
I emailed Axial / Horizon Hobby about the ESC issue , they sent a new one that worked the same , pull the trigger and it rings and jumps .

I installed Injora 1/12T 33% under drive gears front and rear to get a slower crawl . Dropped in the Injora 050 Pro motor also . Fairly happy with it for what I do with it .
NWCT24CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote

AX24 XC-2 Thoughts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial AX24 scorpion Fricker08 General Crawlers 26 05-10-2023 07:04 AM
Knuckle Busters AX24 build. KBR97 Micro Scale Rigs 9 04-04-2023 07:05 PM
having second thoughts pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 21 04-13-2015 11:27 PM
Your thoughts on these BJoe HPI Wheely King 12 01-20-2008 08:29 PM