Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New FMS 1/24 power wagon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #1

Default New FMS 1/24 power wagon

Surprised I haven’t seen any posts on the Fms fxc24 1/24 “Butcher” yet.

I saw this on Amazon yesterday and pulled the trigger out of curiosity - it will arrive tomorrow - looks like it’s not supposed to be announced until the 24th however

Amazon pulled down the pictures but you can find more info and images here

Of note, it mentions it was designed with performance in mind more so than previous vehicles, proof of this seems to be a servo operated 2-speed gearbox (vs previous 3 speed electronic throttle limiters). Also portal axles, ball bearings, and the promise of upgrade parts available on day of launch.

The downside is that it’s funny looking from the side due to chopped rear (hence butcher?) so I’m planning on trying to build a wooden flatbed for it

The wheels are from the mogrich but the body seems to be at least slightly different from the atlas (the number of vents on the side of the engine are different)

Last edited by Oscillat0r; 06-18-2022 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added note on body
Oscillat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2022, 12:31 AM   #2

Default Re: New FMS 1/24 power wagon

This looks rather interesting. I’m surprised they didn’t use the mogrich body on this platform, with the unimog having portal axels, and FMS being known for scale products. The site you linked mentioned it uses a 130 motor, but a nylon frame. It also mentions straight axle vs planetary, so I guess it should be read as locked diffs stock with open diffs being an available option.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Finally... a mini/micro I am interested in!

Although I liked the 1/18t FMS Atlas, my crawlin' buddy bought a SCX24 which meant if I wanted to join in the truly-tiny-truckin' scene I needed to match his scale.

Ordered!

We shall see how this turns out.

I like the fact that it looks like a Dodge converted into a Euro Trials truck.

Thanks for posting this!

I have some days off coming and hope to take this out for a run soon, though it's confusing saying that it's not to be released until 6/24 yet also telling me I'll get mine Monday.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:37 AM   #4

Quote:
it's confusing saying that it's not to be released until 6/24 yet also telling me I'll get mine Monday.
When I ordered mine (Friday night] Amazon had full details and images (different from than the other site I linked) but by yesterday they had removed it all so the seller obviously knew they jumped the gun. But as you say, it’s strange that they still left it open for order and 2-day delivery! I am curious what is in the “blind box” for the first 100 orders- it suggests that it includes spares and/or hop ups.

It’s nice that a manufacturer incorporated feedback into their product design. While off-road expectations for the kubelwagen and kommandeursvagen were obviously limited, I sensed a lot of disappointment from reviewers in the crawling performance of the mogrich and the cheyenna in spite of the lower price tag. Think about how great the tetra24 x3 could have been if Panda had addressed longstanding issues like crazy fast wheel speed / lack of torque and poor durability / electronics quality - instead they just kept doing what theyve always done and the ever worsening product ratings reflect buyers used up patience with them.

I don’t want fms/rochobby/eazyrc to shift their entire product line to function over form but it will be nice to know (if) they can do it when needed, especially for those models with a real world crawling heritage
Old 06-19-2022, 09:26 PM   #5

Received it today though it was late by the time I arrived home so not much time to play with it. In the meantime I’ll leave some pictures

…And a few thoughts
  • Hard body, not lexan (so not shared from atlas).
  • Removing body is a bit of a pita but no visible clips at least.
  • Still looks a bit funny imo being so short
  • Shocks and springs need improvement. Weight from spare wheel will help I guess but would look better with some sag
  • Esc/receiver has a ton of ports for lights. It is exposed however
  • Controller appears to be same as firehorse, allows control of esc and lighting remotely.
  • Gearbox is SO cool. I love watching the servo do it’s thing and it makes a huge difference.
  • The thing is stupid fast in high gear and way more controllable in low while having torque

Will post some more thoughts tomorrow and maybe some running video time allowing
Old 06-20-2022, 12:20 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Smile Re: New FMS 1/24 power wagon

Nice! Waiting for the video. Cool truck.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Excellent, really glad you got yours as I (again) was a little worried about them mentioning the 24th as the release date.

Mine should be arriving later today, and I'm off work so I am pretty excited.

Very cool to see that it IS a hard body - in the pics I had seen, the detail seemed too finely done for Lexan.

Hopefully I can make an exhaust coming up between the back of the cab and the cage tubing.

That product introduction blurb is hilarious, and fairly well written - I'm so used to bad translations from Chinese in product paperwork.

That being said, the founder of the imaginary race is CHANDLER BING???

From the TV series Friends?

Also, the Voodoo Queen being called Mary Poppin is ridiculous, love the fact that they left the "g" off the end... (to avoid Disney's legal team?)

The Voodoo Queen should be Julia Brown, as per the actual legends of the Manchac swamp.

And calling the driver of the truck William Butcher?

That's the Karl Urban character in Amazon's The Boys!

(can you tell I'm bored?)

Old 06-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

Lol - I knew enough to tell the backstory was fictional but hadnt caught all those references. I think it’s cool they bothered to make up a background story. Don’t worry though, translation errors abound in the manual but who am I to judge. The translators English is better than my Chinese!
Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Also, the Voodoo Queen being called Mary Poppin is ridiculous, love the fact that they left the "g" off the end... (to avoid Disney's legal team?)
Ah yes, the classic character Mary Popping. They left the S off the end, it's Poppins, haha.

Jokes aside, I'm amazed they stuffed a 2 speed gearbox into something this small. I can't wait to see some videos about how it works, and once we start seeing parts available it will be fun to see what else it can be crammed into. I'd love a 2 speed in my panda hobby 6x6.
Rontalvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I feel like adding some weight down low and an esc or gearing that would provide slow steady throttle response and this thing would crawl like crazy. Curious how soft the included tires are but they certainly look like they would grab hard. I really like it.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontalvos View Post
Ah yes, the classic character Mary Popping. They left the S off the end, it's Poppins, haha.

Jokes aside, I'm amazed they stuffed a 2 speed gearbox into something this small. I can't wait to see some videos about how it works, and once we start seeing parts available it will be fun to see what else it can be crammed into. I'd love a 2 speed in my panda hobby 6x6.
That's some funny sh*t right there...

Don't mind me, got some dain bramage goin' on...

Old 06-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Got mine, very nifty little thing.

However, I need to find a tiny screwdriver to assemble the dang rollbar.

(Edited - found a small enough Phillips screwdriver bit on one of my Leatherman tools)

All other screws are hex-head, like a good RC kit.

Love all the detail on this - the body is incredible.

Only thing left is to figure out a better way to attach the little faux fuel tank in the back, and maybe some decals to personalize it.

(oh, yeah - and to fab up an exhaust)
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 06-20-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #13

I forgot to mention the tires - I assume they’re the same as the mogrich, they seem fairly soft/sticky. No foams but an inner plastic ring which limits deformation/sidewall flex. Narrow. Beadlock.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'm not used to such tiny trucks, the spare mounted on the back makes the thing a perfect smartphone/tablet easel!

And, yeah - those tires feel surprisingly good...

I hope the Venom Fly 30C 2S 430mAh 7.4V LiPo packs I bought as extras aren't too big.

Should get them tomorrow - I can't wait to drive this thing!

BTW - did you get 2 tiny Phillips screws or 3?

I got 2, used for the rollbar - the only thing I didn't care much for - wish that part felt a bit stronger.

Cause I technically need another to mount the fuel filler spout to the tank.

I suppose I'll bust out the CA glue - I was going to glue the halves of the tank together but I may use zipties so I can test out filling it with weight (brass, or lead) at some point.

I think a bit of weight tucked inside the front bumper somewhere as well as a bit in the tank out back will make it ride more realistically.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I think I will order one too. Waiting on some videos guys. This might be the next “scx24”. It’s looking good, and the specs seem nice too.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:21 PM   #16

Looks like Tomley will be posting by EOW so this is my best chance to post some running video - nothing fancy, just something quick before it got dark.

2 speed and servo in action
https://youtube.com/shorts/MZZ8a7u4lwI?feature=share

High gear on smooth surface
https://youtube.com/shorts/jShOo9D_aDw?feature=share

High gear on grass
https://youtube.com/shorts/RFIBlJNBqnQ?feature=share

Low gear on grass
https://youtube.com/shorts/hq_b_OkJTyw?feature=share

Low rock pile 1
https://youtube.com/shorts/jRJI49OxHUk?feature=share

Low rock pile 2
https://youtube.com/shorts/2NyCMwZ1Oxo?feature=share

Ramp
https://youtu.be/ZYAiflQqjWU

Sorry for the rattlecan sound, it was me releasing the wheel as I drove one handed
Old 06-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wow, impressive speed!

I'm not likely to use 2nd gear much, but great to see it'll zip from one spot to another so quickly...
Old 06-21-2022, 07:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
BTW - did you get 2 tiny Phillips screws or 3?

I got 2, used for the rollbar - the only thing I didn't care much for - wish that part felt a bit stronger.
Yeah only 2 here as well.

I may mount the cage but probably not the wheel as the truck already is a bit top-heavy and has a propensity to flip backwards. Still thinking longer bed and maybe lay the wheel flat on there, plus some weight down low as suggested.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Dunno why I'm not able to open the video links.. will try later I guess.

Thanks, durok for showcasing the tires/ wheels a bit more closely. They look like they'd be quite capable in a lot of conditions.

Went to look for one of these as I wasn't really understanding the initial release and seems they're nowhere to be found. Hope they come back sometime soon.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Dunno why I'm not able to open the video links.. will try later I guess.

Thanks, durok for showcasing the tires/ wheels a bit more closely. They look like they'd be quite capable in a lot of conditions.

Went to look for one of these as I wasn't really understanding the initial release and seems they're nowhere to be found. Hope they come back sometime soon.
There's still some left at Amazon (where we got ours):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B11LG4KT...t_details&th=1

Might be low or out on the color you want, they come in Red, Blue, and Yellow, all have the Red wheels.

The pics being gone doesn't mean anything. It's the same truck, it's the exact link I ordered from.

New FMS 1/24 power wagon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power wagon Hudzzi Axial SCX10 II 5 10-23-2019 12:29 PM
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon bodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2015 11:02 AM
My Power Wagon!!!! PCHILNSF Axial SCX-10 12 02-01-2015 03:25 PM