Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FMS 1/18 Upgrades????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default FMS 1/18 Upgrades????

So traded some printed parts and some spare parts I'd never use for this little beauty!!! Basically brand new in the box.

Was figuring for the price these are and who makes them the upgrade options would be easy...

Truly my biggest thing is getting proper oil filled shocks. The one thing I hate on 1/24, being bouncy cause no dampened shocks (I think there are some now I can get).

Wouldn't mind a smidgen of brass to lower the COG a little. Other than the shocks suck horribly so this thing will bounce itself onto its side I love it. Will be a fun little toy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2022, 12:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FMS 1/18 Upgrades????

swap some FCX24 portals on it, it will make the truck 100x better right off the get go, when you do that you can also swap the fcx shocks as well, they work very well. if you want an FMS parts list you'll need lmk, i've done my FJ and mogrich with portals now. they are also geared a little lower, your slow control will be perfect after the swap, check out the video's below

i'm running the rc4wd steel wheels with brass rings inside them. get rid of the bumper right off the bat, the servo horn will be sticking out but when you install the portals you'll have it axle mounted anyway. if you dont want to go the portal route, get rid of the running boards, you'll need all the clearance you can get

couple videos of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OE_P9hZENw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNyFGMiNzA

Last edited by skurge; 11-06-2022 at 12:20 AM.
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Don’t know about this, but the fcx24 comes with a bag of small o-rings. When you install them, you can fill the shocks with oil. There’s a video on youtube. The guy tells that 6 drops of oil is perfect. I think that’s a bit too much because mine are a bit stiff. Might depend on the viscosity too.

So happy now, bought injora oilshocks for my scx24 too.

Last edited by 2471:24; 11-06-2022 at 01:31 AM.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurge View Post
swap some FCX24 portals on it, it will make the truck 100x better right off the get go, when you do that you can also swap the fcx shocks as well, they work very well. if you want an FMS parts list you'll need lmk, i've done my FJ and mogrich with portals now. they are also geared a little lower, your slow control will be perfect after the swap, check out the video's below

i'm running the rc4wd steel wheels with brass rings inside them. get rid of the bumper right off the bat, the servo horn will be sticking out but when you install the portals you'll have it axle mounted anyway. if you dont want to go the portal route, get rid of the running boards, you'll need all the clearance you can get

couple videos of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OE_P9hZENw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNyFGMiNzA

Not the route I expected, fcx24 parts fitting it, that's awesome

I'm assuming the portal swap was full axle swap?

Old 11-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post
Don’t know about this, but the fcx24 comes with a bag of small o-rings. When you install them, you can fill the shocks with oil. There’s a video on youtube. The guy tells that 6 drops of oil is perfect. I think that’s a bit too much because mine are a bit stiff. Might depend on the viscosity too.

yes the stock fcx shocks can be filled with oil, in the videos i posted they are oil filled fcx shocks

i run about 4 drops in mine

Last edited by skurge; 11-06-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Not the route I expected, fcx24 parts fitting it, that's awesome

I'm assuming the portal swap was full axle swap?

yes full axle. you need the axles, new wheel nuts, a set of suspension links(comes with the servo link) and 4 single ball ends to replace the fcx 3 link with the FJ's 4 link

here's a picture of the rear of the mogrich when i was converting it

one side portal and the other stock still

Last edited by skurge; 11-06-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yes full axle. you need the axles, new wheel nuts, a set of suspension links(comes with the servo link) and 4 single ball ends to replace the fcx 3 link with the FJ's 4 link

here's a picture of the rear of the mogrich when i was converting it

one side portal and the other stock still

Ok thought process now, could I put the "fill in brand name on Amazon" scx24 portal axle kit in it?

Old 11-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok thought process now, could I put the "fill in brand name on Amazon" scx24 portal axle kit in it?

i'm sure you could make it work, but right off the bat the links wont mount directly, and will probably be the wrong length. in the end its probably a lot easier going the fms route

also the scx24 portals i'm sure aren't as wide as the fcx portals. they are a little wider than the stock FJ axles
Old 11-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
i'm sure you could make it work, but right off the bat the links wont mount directly, and will probably be the wrong length. in the end its probably a lot easier going the fms route

also the scx24 portals i'm sure aren't as wide as the fcx portals. they are a little wider than the stock FJ axles
Appreciate the info. Was just thinking scx24 due to mass availability of parts.

That said in my searching, treal has gone full out on FCX24 parts! So I can get the few brass things I want by doing as you said and switching to FCX24 axles.

Thanks a ton for the help.!

Old 11-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post

Perfect, thank you. Now I'm almost debating on buying an fcx24 just to gut for parts for this lol, almost easier and probably not much more expensive.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Appreciate the info. Was just thinking scx24 due to mass availability of parts.

That said in my searching, treal has gone full out on FCX24 parts! So I can get the few brass things I want by doing as you said and switching to FCX24 axles.

Thanks a ton for the help.!

be careful the links from what i've heard wont mount like stock, you have to modify some things or use treals shocks, have a set coming to test that out though
Old 11-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Perfect, thank you. Now I'm almost debating on buying an fcx24 just to gut for parts for this lol, almost easier and probably not much more expensive.

it will cost you about 70$ for all the parts shipped from fms, it wont be cheaper to get a whole truck but depending on what you can do with the rest of the parts it may work out
Old 12-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Managed a solution because I'm up in the air about going portals on this, gonna raise the rig alot and I don't wanna loose scale. Did find axles and also thinking of getting an fcx24. But to do those axles and keep the look, going to be a project so I'll leave that for later.

Trx4m is my major build in 1/18 right now

Injora has oil filled shocks for the scx24. Take the stock bottom caps, put them on the injora shocks (thread right on perfectly) and good to go.

Treal wheels with brass rings, new tires while I was at it.

Definitely fixed my big complaint.

Added the Patriot to the pile cause of the deal Amain had going. Now got FJ and LC which same parts for LC are on the way.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

hell yea, looks good!

i have those same wheels in different colors on 3 of my trucks, love em
Old 12-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #15

Hi gang. I'm thinking of buying the FMS1:18 Chevy K-10 but I can't seem to find where to purchase all of the upgrades that seem to be out now for them. Things like the rollbars, brush guards, tires and wheels. I see one video on YouTube and the guy says the brushguard is from Shapeways, but their search feature is of no help at all.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Hi gang. I'm thinking of buying the FMS1:18 Chevy K-10 but I can't seem to find where to purchase all of the upgrades that seem to be out now for them. Things like the rollbars, brush guards, tires and wheels. I see one video on YouTube and the guy says the brushguard is from Shapeways, but their search feature is of no help at all.

there aren't many upgrades out there that are made for these trucks, most of it is fitting other things from other trucks to them. unless you are 3d printing your own stuff
Old 12-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #17

Quote:
there aren't many upgrades out there that are made for these trucks, most of it is fitting other things from other trucks to them. unless you are 3d printing your own stuff
Thanks skurge . I checked Shapeways site and found many rollbars but they seemed to be all 1/10. I'm hoping that more stuff will pop up in the future.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Thanks skurge . I checked Shapeways site and found many rollbars but they seemed to be all 1/10. I'm hoping that more stuff will pop up in the future.
You won't find much for crap on shapeways. Too expensive to have parts 3d printed.

Now if you search sites like cults3d and thingiverse and see cad files for things you want printed and not have a friend with a 3d printer there are people like me that 3d print to order at about 1/3-1/3 the price of shapeways.

FMS 1/18 Upgrades???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FMS 1/24 power wagon Oscillat0r Micro Scale Rigs 63 05-06-2023 06:32 PM
New FMS 1/18 New Bronco spoo76 Micro Scale Rigs 7 06-09-2022 04:27 PM
FMS K10 upgrades SPLATT Micro Scale Rigs 1 05-21-2022 05:14 AM
FMS 1:18 Unimog RødeDK General Scale Talk 11 04-07-2022 12:09 PM
1/6 FMS Jimney OnTheTrail General Crawlers 14 09-10-2021 07:46 PM