Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Builder's Notes: FJ Series from The Hardbody Crawler Co

A few more pics
Attached Images

TheBakedBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #22

What links are you using for this particular rig? They look like parts for the scx24 platform, but I know those RC4WD axles is M2 hardware for the links. Did you just drill out the balls to size?

I’m looking for something that’s better compatible with those axles than what cheap shxt I’ve got right now.

Edit: I’m sorry, I totally forgot to mention how awesome this thing is going to be once you’re done with it. All your previous builds have been killer. Looking forward to the updates here.

Last edited by Zenith the Zero; 01-10-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: I’m dumb.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
What links are you using for this particular rig? They look like parts for the scx24 platform, but I know those RC4WD axles is M2 hardware for the links. Did you just drill out the balls to size?

Iím looking for something thatís better compatible with those axles than what cheap shxt Iíve got right now.

Edit: Iím sorry, I totally forgot to mention how awesome this thing is going to be once youíre done with it. All your previous builds have been killer. Looking forward to the updates here.
Thanks... much appreciated!

Yes, is a scratch build kit bash. You are also correct, I had to drill out the ball heads, but that wasn't a big deal. I'm using Amazon Injora links. The version with the plastic ends and removable ball heads. I also chose these links because I can technically adjust the length up to 1/4 inch by just moving the ends down the threads... if that makes sense.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:19 PM   #24

It's coming along nicely!

I saw someone on Reddit replace the screws that secure the top of the body to the bottom with magnets which makes it easy to take the top off. Not sure what your plan is in the end but it might be something to consider. I am going to take mine apart so I can do that with my first build. Should be getting my replacement window for the rear tomorrow so it will be a good time to try it out!
CoolHandLukeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Ladies and Ö uh, er, mostly gentlemenÖ I have a ROLLING CHASSIS!

So far this has NOT been easy! It has nothing to do with the body and everything to do with my decision to mix RC4WD with Axial. Different size screws, different servo mounting, different all togetherÖ. I had challenge after challenge. And I drove myself MAD searching for solution after solution. I think all the hard stuff is done (fingers crossed) and hey, here I am with one good looking bastard of a rolling chassis.

I also took the time to mount up the bottom half of the body. Iíve adjusted everything so the wheelbase is now lined up and I have great articulation. Itís not a hardcore crawler, but I bet it performs well enough.

Now still need to drop in the electronics, tune the weight distribution, and get to work on the body.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Looks so good with the body on! It's hard to believe it's a tiny scale rig! With all of the details, it looks much bigger than it really is!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:28 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looks so good with the body on! It's hard to believe it's a tiny scale rig! With all of the details, it looks much bigger than it really is!
Thank you sir! The RC4WD axles have been a real headache, but itís the first time Iíve worked with them. But they look sooo good!
Old 01-15-2023, 02:31 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

More progressÖ Iíve dipped my electronics and made a tray. Things are moving alongÖ
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2023, 10:37 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Nice work as always! I didn’t know about these axles. With those on, the speed of the rig will probably increase, as those are not axles with worm gears. I put fcx24 axles on my scx24, and they fit ok. But the links are twisted. Waiting for the driving videos.

B-MOW71 mentioned that it’s hard to believe that this is so tiny. I totally agree.

Last edited by 2471:24; 01-15-2023 at 10:40 PM.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #30

This thing is so incredible. It looks like a 1/10 scale build, you can’t even tell it’s smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakedBeans View Post
The RC4WD axles have been a real headache,… But they look sooo good!
I have struggled with them on my project. When I started the brackets weren’t even available. I have since purchased them since they became available.

I’m curious what you did for the front suspension mounting on the axle, since the factory location is not very compatible with coilovers.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

This body is a great find. A friend of mine showed me this and been thinking about getting both tan and blue. Keep the blue one as is and rhe tan a different color, maybe be brave and try weathering it. But again thinking about it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:04 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post
Nice work as always! I didnít know about these axles. With those on, the speed of the rig will probably increase, as those are not axles with worm gears. I put fcx24 axles on my scx24, and they fit ok. But the links are twisted. Waiting for the driving videos.

It does seem a little faster. Itíll will also roll if the drag break isnít set.

B-MOW71 mentioned that itís hard to believe that this is so tiny. I totally agree.
Lol, the chassis has been a real headache. But Iíve got it all sorted outÖ except the turn radius of those damn axles. Since I received my replacement set, I might fiddle with the original.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:21 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Thanks. It's amazing what you can learn on YT. Can't wait to see what BakeBeans does with his FJ.
Your WPL is super nice! And yes, using just a little flat will set this model straight.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:25 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLukeZ View Post
It's coming along nicely!

I saw someone on Reddit replace the screws that secure the top of the body to the bottom with magnets which makes it easy to take the top off. Not sure what your plan is in the end but it might be something to consider. I am going to take mine apart so I can do that with my first build. Should be getting my replacement window for the rear tomorrow so it will be a good time to try it out!
I didnít magnetize the roof on this first build because I have some other plans. But I am missing a window , no big deal. Iím sure Gus will hook me up.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:33 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
This thing is so incredible. It looks like a 1/10 scale build, you canít even tell itís smaller.

Iím curious what you did for the front suspension mounting on the axle, since the factory location is not very compatible with coilovers.
Gracias Amigo!

Good questionÖ I found out the hard way that there is very little clearance in front and behind the knuckle. I had to give up my oil shocks and went with Injora double barrels. Other than a little ďbounce in the stepĒ, they do perform better.

Right now everything is jiving right EXCEPT that damn turn radius
Old 01-22-2023, 03:43 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Iím very closeÖ here is a teaser from earlier this week.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2023, 02:11 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Well, Iím all wrapped up. Iíll update this thread with the parts links, gather all the photos and get them posted, and whip up one of my typical build videos. This was a super fun kit!

http://https://www.instagram.com/ree...d=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBakedBeans; 01-24-2023 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:57 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Outstanding! Sooo, perfect!
That diamond plate looks great and in scale. I was only able to find 1/10 scale, claimed 1/18 but not. Where did you get that scale diamond plate?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Ynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

Perfection! Excellent job on the build and the attention to the scale details!

Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:19 PM   #40

Incredible build. As B-Mow said, the details are awesome, like the Land Cruiser badges and stickers. I’ve always liked how you set up all the shop stuff in your build photos, too. Was the hi-lift jack part of one of those shop sets?

Builder's Notes: FJ Series from The Hardbody Crawler Co - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Builder's Notes: X-Row Kuro King 1/24th D90 TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 22 03-02-2023 12:15 PM
Builder's Notes: Jaws 2 Another Shark in the Water TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 18 11-27-2022 06:21 PM
Builder's Notes: 1/18th Mercedes Benz G500 TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 20 10-17-2022 03:36 PM
Builder's Notes: SCX24 Micro Shark Conversion Kit TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 27 10-02-2022 09:30 AM
A Couple notes about the Comp Crawler Rich Trujillo Team Losi Comp Crawler 57 06-13-2009 11:08 PM