Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Question on the 24 Deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question on the 24 Deadbolt

Hi folks. I need some advice for my Deadbolt. Here are the things that I have done to her. brass covers for front and rear diff, aluminum red bottom and top links, servo arm with steering links, brass C hubs and extenders, chrome driveshafts, chrome wheels with tall tires. I got all of these things off of Amazon as I am in Canada and no hobby shops close by. Now for my problem. While I was running it (great little rig) I noticed that the left front wheel was coming loose. Upon further looking I discovered that on the left I was loosing a bearing. Just gone. Now the right side was fine. I am not sure why the left side eats the bearing and the right side does not.
I would like any info on this problem because I cannot see anything wrong. Now I am still a bit of a beginner on this but have been in RC for 20 years but this new side of the hobby is still new to me.
I would really appreciate some help or where to look for this problem. Other than this the little one works really well.
Regards
Tar
Tar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Question on the 24 Deadbolt

I'd take a look at how the axle stub fits inside the bearing. I've had axles for the 24s with egregiously poor fitment. They had to be filed and made to fit properly. An uneven load on a bearing will wear it out quick. I'd also check the the tightness of your wheel nuts. The 24s are pretty sensitive to over-tightening. You could loose a wheel nut if it's too lose, so be sure to use a tiny bit of blue thread locker on there.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thank you sir for your suggestion. I will check and see how it fits.
I will post my find.
I am very careful when I tighten things so was careful about that. I have used a bit of blue locker on things before.
Thanks again.
Regards
Tar

Last edited by Tar18; 01-20-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hello again. I decided to put the extenders on and snug up the wheels and then drove it around the kitchen. The wheel extenders were a bit loose after a bit so gave them a small tightening and continue to drive. After 5 minutes or so I checked the outer bearing (a brand new one) of the "C" hub and it was mostly gone. I had checked the axle before and all seemed good. I am going back to stock and then drive it to see if the bearing stay intact. It is interesting that only the LF side is affected. The RF seems good.
I am still looking for some answers to this and hope someone has some info.
Thanks again for any help.
Regards
Tar
Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar18 View Post
Hello again. I decided to put the extenders on and snug up the wheels and then drove it around the kitchen. The wheel extenders were a bit loose after a bit so gave them a small tightening and continue to drive. After 5 minutes or so I checked the outer bearing (a brand new one) of the "C" hub and it was mostly gone. I had checked the axle before and all seemed good. I am going back to stock and then drive it to see if the bearing stay intact. It is interesting that only the LF side is affected. The RF seems good.
I am still looking for some answers to this and hope someone has some info.
Thanks again for any help.
Regards
Tar
I would replace the right C hub and the axle
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:22 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Don't know if you've already done this but I would remove the wheels and fire everything up and slowly cycle left/ right full range while slowly accelerating the throttle so that you can look and hear of any binding that might be happening... as well as any sloppiness. Not sure which kind of wheel extenders you have but I'd put those on the axle shafts as well while inspecting... again, without the wheels mounted.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Question on the 24 Deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deadbolt RTR question BigSki Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2018 08:34 PM
Deadbolt Truss question? JrocksSCX10 Axial SCX-10 1 03-12-2017 12:12 AM
Deadbolt 4 link question? Gavinda Axial SCX-10 9 09-09-2015 08:02 AM
Deadbolt Body Question DrDiff952 Axial SCX-10 4 02-27-2015 09:44 AM
Deadbolt spring question raul shabinguez Axial SCX-10 19 12-24-2014 12:42 AM