Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Mn crawling locations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default Mn crawling locations

This is the place to put our Mn crawling locations, all listed in 1 spot for easy reference.

Please post location, and terrain, and any pic's if possible.
Also feel free to post any prospective locations, that need scouting.

Prospective: Going to scout this Spring.
Banning St Park I-35 about 2 hours North of the TC metro.
Sounds promising

Geology

The Kettle River extends the entire length of the park, exposing bedrock for much of the distance. One of the most dominant characteristics of the park is sandstone and the potholes formed by the Kettle River. The sandstone is from the Hinckley formation, known for shallow soil over bedrock and boulders which are exposed or lie just below the surface. In the northern area of the park, the river flows through a relatively shallow and narrow valley. Within a few miles, the river valley narrows to a gorge worn by the river through Precambrian sandstone to a depth of 100 feet. At Hell's Gate, the river flows through sheer cliffs which rise to 40 feet above the water. Below the rapids, the valley once again begins to widen. Beyond the valley walls, the topography is generally level to gently rolling glacial till plain.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #2

Default Jay Cooke St Park

Prospective. Going to scout this Spring.

Geology

The geological makeup of Jay Cooke State Park is one of slate, graywacke and red clay. Streams have exposed the bedrock in many places. Slate beds were formed from original deposits of mud which compacted into shale. Heat, pressure and movement converted the deeply buried shale into slate. Underground movement caused the slate and graywacke beds to fold and fracture. Later, masses of molten rock were forced through fractures in the beds and when they cooled, these intrusions formed dikes which can be seen in the river bed today.
Landscape

The rugged land formations of Jay Cooke State Park enhance the beauty of the hardwood forests. The water-eroded gorge, steep valleys, and massive rock formations are seen throughout the park. In some seasons, the water of the St. Louis River thunders over slabs of ancient, exposed rock. At other times, it slows to a gentle trickle. Visitors enjoy the scenic splendor of Jay Cooke State Park during all seasons.

780 Highway 210, Carlton, Minnesota 55718
tel: (21 384-4610
Getting There

From the town of Carlton go 3 miles east on State Highway 210.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 01-12-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #3

Default Interstate St Park (Taylors Falls)

Geology

About 1.1 billion years ago, earthquakes erupted from Taylors Falls to Lake Superior. At least 10 different lava flows were the result. The hardened basalt rock from these lava flows was partly responsible for the formation of the Dalles of the St. Croix and the bottom of the river. From 530 million years ago up until 70 million years ago, the state was washed by advancing and retreating seas. Evidence of these ancient seas is revealed in the sedimentary rocks and formations found in the park. These rocks contain fossil remains of ancient animals, evidence of various creatures, and ripple marks left in stone by the now vanished seas. Actually, there have been many different St. Croix Valleys down through the ages. The original one was formed about 70 million years ago. The last one, which exists today, was formed about 10,000 years ago. This last glacier formed both Glacial Lake Duluth, now Lake Superior, and Glacial Lake Grantsburg, now extinct. Glacial Lake Duluth was much larger than Lake Superior is now. As this giant body of ice thawed, its meltwaters roared south to carve out the broad valley of the St. Croix. Only very resistant basalts were able to partially withstand the torrent, resulted in the dalles, potholes, and cliffs.

P. O. Box 254, Taylors Falls, Minnesota 55084
tel: (651) 465-5711
Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #4

Default St Croix St Park

Prospective: another to scout this Spring.

30065 St. Croix Park Road Hinckley, MN 55037

tel: (320) 384-6591
Getting There

The park is located 15 miles east of Hinckley on State Highway 48, then 5 miles south on County Road 22.

Geology

During the last glacial period, about 10,000 years ago, the St. Croix River valley served as a major drainage channel for glacial meltwater from Lake Superior. As these waters carved the way for the river seen today, the waters left behind a variety of soils and sediment that cover the ancient lava bedrock far below, including a glacial outwash plain of sand left by Glacial Lake Grantsburg. Many springs along the river banks occur where the river valley has eroded through the glacial gravel to release water trapped between the sediments. The final wave of glacial meltwater cleaned debris from the Kettle River valley, leaving much of the basalt and sandstone bedrock exposed. A stop at the Kettle River Highbanks is a step back over millions of years.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Web Wheeling

St. Croix Boom site park

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/restareas...rboomsite.html

Just north of Stillwater on Highway 95, on the St. Croix river. Very sandy, but some decent limestone/sandstone rocks to crawl on. Parking is good, but you need to lug your gear down a healthy set of stairs.

Troy, try to post pics of the areas you are listing in here....
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

Cannon Falls under the fourth street bridge, Covered year round. But no heat, great in the spring summer and fall.
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

There a bunch of quarries here in St.Cloud that will be prime for crawling. (St.Cloud is known as "Granite city" for all the rocks, so Id imagine theres even more spots than I know about..
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
There a bunch of quarries here in St.Cloud that will be prime for crawling. (St.Cloud is known as "Granite city" for all the rocks, so Id imagine theres even more spots than I know about..

Post some pic's if you can.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

around stillwater haves some spots to crawl at
johnnybrcman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

johnny, post some pics if you can some are probably know some may not.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ok i will try to get out this weekend but it might be hard cause its snowing right now
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #12

any one been to gilbert (SP) they do a lot of big truck crawling there
jhtparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

hear is where i practice with my axial at
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...oto-0001-1.jpg
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hey Guy's, I was wondering if anyone has directions to a good crawl spot close to the Oakdale area? I dont really want to drive across town just to practice. I see the Stillwater Boom site directions but is there anything else?

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by SFC K; 07-07-2008 at 06:39 PM.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
RCC Addict

There is a spot not too far away from you that I've driven past. It's not much, but maybe a decent enough spot for you to practice on.

From hwy 94 take hwy 61 south to Lower Afton road. Take a left(East), then your first left(North) onto the frontage road (Point Douglas Road). Go to the end of the road and there is a park on the right hand side.

Like I said, it's not much, but since your not too far away it's worth checking out.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I am new to the crawling scene, finally got my AX-10 and headed out the door. Quary Park in Waite Park (just west of St. Cloud) is a great spot to go, $14 for an annual sticker with lots of possibilities. Be prepared to walk to the crawl spot. I was there today but did not have the camera, I will try to get pics the next time I go.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Ok, maybe Quarry Park is not that great, been there a few times and there are some good spots but it would be hard to make a comp out of it from what I have seen so far. Another spot I have been is under the Sauk Rapids bridge (2 times know), it seems good, I think if the water is low like it has been the possibilities are endless. Sorry, no pics, forgot the camera again.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

In a earlier post Knoc (RC Fanatics) from the St. Cloud area had posted that there where a number quarries in the St. Cloud area that would be good crawling locations? Have you any idea what he was talking about? Natural formations are much better than lot's of smaller rocks typically being used as erosion protection that are around many structures. Once you've experienced natural rock formation it's really hard to enjoy man placed rocks.

The other thing to look for is scale crawling areas lot's of MNRCRC members have scale rigs and every year they have a Howl Crawl in the fall. It's basiclly a trail ride.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
chb

Hey jhtpart, here are a few pic's from Gilbert that you were asking about. For anyone that hasn't been up there it's a great place to wheel 1:1 scale rigs and also for RC crawlers. You need a Off Road sticker to get into the park.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #20

Default Duluth Areas to wheel.

We have some really good spots right next to the water on Lake superior's lake walk. I have a few video's out on you tube. Just search for Duluth rc rock crawling and you should find it.

I go to gilbert at least 5 times a year. I seen the truck in the pictures there before. I used to live in Hibbing and we wheel big trucks there a lot also. Nice pictures!!!

Last edited by kwapi; 03-24-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Saw the cool truck pics.
kwapi is offline   Reply With Quote