Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: RC-X Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default RC-X Games

Ok folks, it's never too early to start thinking/talking/planning for the 2008 the RC X-Games.
This is the place to post your ideas, and talk about the 08 RC X-Games.

IMO, last year our course was lamer then the 06 course
Also MO, if we're going to bother to participate in this awesome RC event?
And I think we should, we need to step in with both feet, and have a course that people think "wow, thats cool as hell" and not some half-assed ill planned course. To do this, it's going to take a club wide effort.

Video of the '06' RC-X Games Rock crawling: http://youtube.com/watch?v=38dIiciJCIU

Thoughts/ideas?

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 01-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Default rc x-games

I'm in freetime I think it needs to be the best it can be so we can amaze people. Not olny with what we can build for a course but what we can build for trucks all kinds. Maybe we can have it so people can walk around it to so everyone can get more action.
john vevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well , i will donate my aquired (either 6'x8' or 8'x10' and can be added on to have welder) trailer to the MNRCRC

i am already collecting supplies for a custom built course (portable/Demo) i might have a hook up on 5 gal buckets of fiberglass resin/hardner cheaper, (buddy says if he remembers right a 5 gal pail is about 80.oo)

all i have to do to the trailer is put new wheels on it , sand blast the frame and wire it for lights , cant complain , it was a freebie, and it is a tilt bed , might weld it up so it wont , but i'll wait till we decide..... whoever is interested in donating funds, labor, supplies, and ideas let me know through a PM , we'll talk , i think i know somone else in MNRCRC that might have space available for Storage or even build area , otherwise it will be in my yard on nice days...
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
Ok folks, it's never too early to start thinking/talking/planning for the 2008 the RC X-Games.
This is the place to post your ideas, and talk about the 08 RC X-Games.

IMO, last year our course was lamer then the 06 course
Also MO, if we're going to bother to participate in this awesome RC event?
And I think we should, we need to step in with both feet, and have a course that people think "wow, thats cool as hell" and not some half-assed ill planned course. To do this, it's going to take a club wide effort.

Thoughts/ideas?
I didn't see a thing on rcxgames web site about crawling, and nothing on FHF's site either. If I was putting something together for that event, I would be finding out just how much exposer are you getting. Just a thought. You might want to contact FHF to have them start publishing something on their sites.
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

IMO I don't think we do crawling any favors if we show up with a half baked program. I remember last year and the difficulties and frustrations that existed do to the lack of help to building the exhibit. Not to say a good portable crawling course might be used in other ways. Like the events that are occurring at Hobby Towns around the country right now. Possibly even the World of Wheels that has been open to RC in the past. Then it has to be moved, set up and stored.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

If probeater is going so am I., with my 2.2 and 1.9 scaler.
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

we could probably build something like this Portable Crawling!
maybe without the trailer or have it be able to be removed from the trailer and placed on the ground. even if it is heavy i think we have enough guys in the mnrcrc that we could move it easily. i am willing to help with construction and setup at the fairgrounds because i am only 9 miles away. i may have a car by then, but if not and i cant get a ride from my parents or casey then someone would need to pick me up. on thing we did this year that i didn't like was the styrofoam crawling part. it shredded and i got hung up alot, i dont think we should do it again. also, maybe bigballer could rent out some of his trucks, he has like 10 .
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #8

Default Something on the lines of this

theTman (Tony),
While CrawlB4ucanwalk's set-up is a nice portable option, for this years R/C X-Games, I'd personally like to see something more along the lines of this.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

what are the rocks made of? who built it? and also i was wondering how we will be able to transport it out of the fair grounds once done. i would hope that we wouldn't just destroy it and toss it. if it can endure the outside elements i would see if my dad would let us store it outside at my place, and cover it in a tarp when not in use or during winter. if it can handle outside temps year round and possibly damp ground then it should be fine. we cover our broken lawn tractor in a tarp over winter and it has been perfectly fine. i offered to store it because i live 9 miles away and have 2.5 acres, and most of our members live in the cities with nowhere to store it. i would have to run it by my dad first.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #10

It's made by RCP. It's foam sections covered with bedliner.
I will have plenty of indoor storage around April 1st, and a new RC workshop.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That's what I'm talking about. Maybe not that large but that's on the right track. You could probably do a couple of winter crawls at Hobby Town and do the maybe Jack Dejoy would consider it an atraction for the World of Wheels.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
what are the rocks made of? who built it? and also i was wondering how we will be able to transport it out of the fair grounds once done. i would hope that we wouldn't just destroy it and toss it. if it can endure the outside elements i would see if my dad would let us store it outside at my place, and cover it in a tarp when not in use or during winter. if it can handle outside temps year round and possibly damp ground then it should be fine. we cover our broken lawn tractor in a tarp over winter and it has been perfectly fine. i offered to store it because i live 9 miles away and have 2.5 acres, and most of our members live in the cities with nowhere to store it. i would have to run it by my dad first.
I built those rocks. If you have any questions on the construction or how you can build one for your event, send me a PM or email. You can get more information from this link.Link-N-Rocks by RCP Tracks (Artificial Rocks for the Rock Crawling Industry)
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I built those rocks. If you have any questions on the construction or how you can build one for your event, send me a PM or email. You can get more information from this link.Link-N-Rocks by RCP Tracks (Artificial Rocks for the Rock Crawling Industry)

Thanks a lot John!
I didn't figure you'd even stroll across our little thread.
I crawled at I-Hobby in '06' with Brian and Noel, and met them at Moab '06'. I missed you guys at I-Hobby last year. I couldn't make RCX :-(
We really want to make an impression at this event, and a course like this would be sweet. We'll be looking to you/RCP for advice.
I've been following that thread.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
tjb
Rock Crawler

If any lumber is in need I can come up with a fair amount of scrap 1X4, 2X4, and 2X6 stuff mostly in the 2-1/2 to 4 foot length range.... More twards spring I can almost promise a full pick up load or two........

If we want a "wow" factor Troy, Chris and I could run the event in a jockstrap flip-flops and a light coat of oil????????

I know it's probably the wrong "wow" factor but it's past 2am and I'm just starting work, figured it will go faster knowing the mental trauma I just caused with that visual......
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
If any lumber is in need I can come up with a fair amount of scrap 1X4, 2X4, and 2X6 stuff mostly in the 2-1/2 to 4 foot length range.... More twards spring I can almost promise a full pick up load or two........

If we want a "wow" factor Troy, Chris and I could run the event in a jockstrap flip-flops and a light coat of oil????????

I know it's probably the wrong "wow" factor but it's past 2am and I'm just starting work, figured it will go faster knowing the mental trauma I just caused with that visual......

I'm scared for life lol and I;m one of the visuals lol
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 AM   #16
MWRCA'er

I know you guys have zero control over this but if Nationals and this event were not a week apart it would be helpful. I'm sure I'm not the only one torn between the two events. Once again nothing you can do about it, just stating the obvious.

A big course like the one pictured would be great for your club. I've read more then a few of your members willing to donate $ for club functions so there you go. As Mike said last year, if you all made a 3x3 square it would be perfect. The foam and board are cheap, its the bedliner that costs the cash. As long as you could find one persons basement to store the mountain in you would be good. You could even run a winter series, rainy days ect. Just throwing ideas out.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

What we need is a heated garage, for winter comps.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
I know you guys have zero control over this but if Nationals and this event were not a week apart it would be helpful. I'm sure I'm not the only one torn between the two events. Once again nothing you can do about it, just stating the obvious.

A big course like the one pictured would be great for your club. I've read more then a few of your members willing to donate $ for club functions so there you go. As Mike said last year, if you all made a 3x3 square it would be perfect. The foam and board are cheap, its the bedliner that costs the cash. As long as you could find one persons basement to store the mountain in you would be good. You could even run a winter series, rainy days ect. Just throwing ideas out.

Yeah Ben, we wish it wasn't so close to the Nationals too. It's also a bad weekend for many of our members because so many have plans, last weekend at the cabin etc.
This year, we really want to do this event up right, some justice for the last 2 years if you will. Kevin and I were talking about it a couple of days ago, we were/are thinking on billing it as the Moab alternative, for those not qualified, or just not able to make it that far. If we can get some major sponsorship, this all could come together nicely. It would be great to add a Top Truck Challenge too. We have plenty of room available at the X-Games, it's the help we lack.

As for storage, I have plenty of storage space for a crawling mountain, it's not heated Jack, but it is indoor, and connected to my new workshop in Bloomington.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post

Yup it's a traditional family weekend and little trucks don't play any part of. Terrible weekend for this event.

Quote:
Yeah Ben, we wish it wasn't so close to the Nationals too. It's also a bad weekend for many of our members because so many have plans, last weekend at the cabin etc.
This year, we really want to do this event up right, some justice for the last 2 years if you will. Kevin and I were talking about it a couple of days ago, we were/are thinking on billing it as the Moab alternative, for those not qualified, or just not able to make it that far. If we can get some major sponsorship, this all could come together nicely. It would be great to add a Top Truck Challenge too. We have plenty of room available at the X-Games, it's the help we lack.

As for storage, I have plenty of storage space for a crawling mountain, it's not heated Jack, but it is indoor, and connected to my new workshop in Bloomington.
Exactly.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

Quote:

I love it