Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: What about a MNRCRC Disabled Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What about a MNRCRC Disabled Class

What do you guys think about a MNRCRC disabled class?
MaddJack and I have been talking about this for awhile. It could run on the same course at the same time as everyone else but only count the gates that can be seen. Scoring would just be sorted at the end of the day. This class would be open to any person who could not follow their rig up the hill.
Many disabled people are avid hobbyists and I think if we canvased the LHS with a nice poster with our website we would get some interest. I would be happy to cover any of the out of pocket expenses. We could contact the Veterans Association and might find some returning disabled veterans interested in our program as well (a friend mentioned that to me) and I thought what a wonderful idea.
I think we are already leading by accommodating Jack and I in wheelchairs at MNRCRC events I have not heard of any other clubs with wheelchair competitors.
We also have RC X Games with it's National attention.

The MNRCRC has been very accommodating to both Jack and myself and we are very grateful to all of you for what you've already done.
Thank you all

Jack and I are interested to hear what you think.

Your Wheelchair Rock Crawlers
MaddJack and Stormin2u
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Hey whatever will help you guys out I'll play along. Maybe someone has connections to get a lift so we can hover you guys over the course.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
MWRCA'er

What you guys really need is a laptop and wireless camera. This way someone can hold the camera and you can see.

That is a great idea though. Maybe they could just run everybody the same but score you and maddjack different. One verses the other ect.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
Hey whatever will help you guys out I'll play along. Maybe someone has connections to get a lift so we can hover you guys over the course.
Hey Dirtyal,

We had talked about this program that Storm mentioned above as a rehab opportunity for vets. Got any army connections?

I got the connection for the Army National Guard, and will be pitching the idea to them, so I thought I would check to see if you had someone we could connect up with.

Thanks
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, I dont really have any connections there. I've been in Germany since 02'. Im retiring in March(I'm not an old fart, I'm only 26) so I'll be going to the VA when I get there. I'll see what they can offer. My uncle is also involved with the VFW quite a bit too so I can see what that gets us.

You could also contact "the other 2.2 guy" he is a CPT at Ft. Snelling. He may be able to get something going.

Last edited by dirtyal; 01-29-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Sorry, I dont really have any connections there. I've been in Germany since 02'. Im retiring in March(I'm not an old fart, I'm only 26) so I'll be going to the VA when I get there. I'll see what they can offer. My uncle is also involved with the VFW quite a bit too so I can see what that gets us.

You could also contact "the other 2.2 guy" he is a CPT at Ft. Snelling. He may be able to get something going.
Cool! I think it has great potential. Keep me updated on what you come up with, and I will do the same.

Storm and Jack started the ball rolling, and I could get real excited about how all of this could work out. Believe me. I just love helping the guys, that have done so much for us, and that includes you my friend. Thanks!

Everytime we get the chance to work with the Guard, it's just awesome.

Keep in touch.

Do you have contact information for the CPT you mentioned?

Last edited by jaxcoffee; 01-29-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Additional question.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcoffee View Post
Cool! I think it has great potential. Keep me updated on what you come up with, and I will do the same.

Storm and Jack started the ball rolling, and I could get real excited about how all of this could work out. Believe me. I just love helping the guys, that have done so much for us, and that includes you my friend. Thanks!

Everytime we get the chance to work with the Guard, it's just awesome.

Keep in touch.
Many thanks from all of us. Hopefully you will see me at every comp getting my rookie behind annihilated.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Al we appreciate your offer for sure I believe that with some simple accommodations we could have a disabled class that had a level playing field for good competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
What you guys really need is a laptop and wireless camera. This way someone can hold the camera and you can see

That is a great idea though. Maybe they could just run everybody the same but score you and maddjack different. One verses the other ect.
Mnster you don't know how many times the camera idea has crossed my mind. Unfortunately it still would not be a level playing field.

That would be a good start, we still think there are many others like us who would be interested.

Quote:
Hey Dirtyal,

We had talked about this program that Storm mentioned above as a rehab opportunity for vets. Got any army connections?

I got the connection for the Army National Guard, and will be pitching the idea to them, so I thought I would check to see if you had someone we could connect up with.

Thanks
Hey Jax, that's a fabulous idea our group has a bunch of young veterans I'm sure they would love to see some of their disabled brothers enjoying our hobby sport. I'm a Vietnam vet myself 68 and 69. I appreciate your comments lets stay close I think we are on the same page.

Quote:

Yup I'm sure Hess will have some ideas for us.

Good comments guys
Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Web Wheeling

If you guys want to hold your own class between the two of you, I don't think anyone would be against it. But what about on the days only one of you can make it?
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

so, what you mean is that you only count the gates you can see from the ground level and not count the others? or do you mean change your possible score dew to less gates?
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Jax, that's a fabulous idea our group has a bunch of young veterans I'm sure they would love to see some of their disabled brothers enjoying our hobby sport. I'm a Vietnam vet myself 68 and 69. I appreciate your comments lets stay close I think we are on the same page.
You got it my friend. Thanks for your service. Already have an e-mail off to my contact person with the Army National Guard. We're going to make this thing happen.

Tell me. what are your thoughts when you say "Level playing field"? I would like to be real clear on that, because I know folks can be real sensitive when it comes to what they might perseive as "Special Treatment."

I would like to know your thoughts there.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've never been to a comp so I might be blowing smoke here but heres an idea. Take their score from the gates they can see, then take the average score that everyone else gets on the rest of the gates and add that average to their score at the end? Like I say I've never been to a comp so I dont know how feasable this is.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hey Mike, the way it is for us now it's just for fun, there is no way we can compete heads up with any body but ourselves anyway. I never run if Jacks not there. That way on the days were both there we would have a fair competition. But what really excites Jack and myself is maybe finding others who are not capable of following their rig up the hill but thought might enjoy crawling. We also like the fact that as a club we would be reaching out to a community of people who for the most part are not represented in our hobby sport I think the MNRCRC unusual in the fact that you support the only two wheelchair crawlers I'm aware of..

Last edited by Stormin2u; 01-29-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

Don't get me wrong all i need is be allowed the use of a spotter like in the past. I like you guys you're fun to hang around with,
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Mike, the way it is for us now it's just for fun, there is no way we can compete heads up with any body but ourselves anyway. I never run if Jacks not there.
That is all about to change. Hope your ready for it. Oh man this is going to be cool.

Got some folks excited about this, and will let you know more, as soon as I do.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehein View Post
so, what you mean is that you only count the gates you can see from the ground level and not count the others? or do you mean change your possible score dew to less gates?
Hi Joe, The point is a competition for the "bottom of the hill gang" The class is just a idea to try to attract a group of competitors who are at a disavantage because they can't walk up the course.
IMO it would have no impact on the mainstream competition in any way. It is a seperate class small at this point but it could grow. Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Maybe someone who is a better speaker than myself can lobby whoever runs the park to let us build a couple bridges through the rocks so you guys can get up there with your chairs. I would sure do what I could to help get materials and help build it.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

im not sure about pushin anything else, from what i hear were lucky to be able to use the rocks as is.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You got it my friend. Thanks for your service. Already have an e-mail off to my contact person with the Army National Guard. We're going to make this thing happen.

Tell me. what are your thoughts when you say "Level playing field"? I would like to be real clear on that, because I know folks can be real sensitive when it comes to what they might perseive as "Special Treatment."

I would like to know your thoughts there.
Well I guess that's a developing question our current state is there are number gates that cannot be seen, what my partner Jack and I envision is driving from a location at the bottom of the course and only be judged by the gates we can clearly see. We have been using a spotter to yell and point the directions to us on the invisible gates. The class we are proposing allows people who can't walk the course to compete by vision from a point below using the same crawling rules we are all aware of.

Jax, thats the starting point I'm sure this thread will grow with ideas as the evening approaches....Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Just brainstorming. Im the noob of the group so I really dont know how it is there. I get kind of worked up when it comes to helping people out. I enjoy doing it. I tried getting a few members of another forum to donate some old r/c parts so I could try to build a couple rigs to donate to the hospital here for the wounded soldiers. Needless to say that fell through.