Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Judges/score keepers, judging issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default Judges/score keepers, judging issues

MNRCRC will be needing at least 6 people, plus a couple alternates, willing to judge/score keep.
These person's should be willing to study, and know all the 2008 USRCCA/MNRCRC rules. We may also have a video, and a "what if" quiz.
It would also be important that you attend a majority of the competitions.

For those interested? Please post up.

1. Freetimecrawler
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Donkey Punch Champion!

I'm in...but who will take pictures?

Ryan
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Web Wheeling

I'll be the picture bitch
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBaller View Post

I'm in...but who will take pictures?

Ryan

We've seen you add before though........

I'd be up for alternate..
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
And a good picture bitch you are.

I'm gonna be picking up a camera here pretty soon I think, so between all of us, I'm sure we'll get plenty of nice pics.

Of course I'll do my fair share of judging too.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'd love to if you can keep all the gates where I can see them, then I could also kick some arses in the competitions as well.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

well get the tank tread chair and we all good lol jk
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R
I would still like to see a score card/sheet for each driver. The sign up sheet will be the running order list, check off your name to sign up and grab your score card. Each driver will be responsible for their card, so the judge only has to keep the running order sheet. But every time I have suggested we do this, I have been shot down.

This will prevent judges from marking scores for the wrong driver, which many of us have done. And should be easier to handle with absent drivers. Another plus to this system from reading about other clubs doing it, is that it is much easier to tally the final placement of the drivers as you can add the totals up for the day. I could toss together some score cards to test this setup for our next comp if others support it.

I really like WAPA's design in this thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126685

Looking at their card again, another thing that would be nice with this layout is the running order # As you sign up you would mark your number on your card, and we could call out your name and number. This would help as everyone could figure out how how many rigs are running before they are up.

Kevin and Troy, I know you both love to keep all the score sheets on file from every comp. Here is how I think we should run this using score cards for each driver.

We have 1 judge per course, 1 time keeper/helper. They do not sign off on this until the next step is finished.

Also assign people who know the rules and how the scoring works add up the score sheets after each run. I will gladly help with this. Once the score is added up and double checked, verify that there were no mistakes made by the judge after the next run is over. Once the Judge and helper give the ok all 3 people will initial it. The score keeper will then add the score to a masters sheet, along with the time and return the card to the driver.

With this system, we can announce the winners before the day is over, a huge plus in my book. If the driver feels there was a error, they must bring it up after their run, before its signed off.

I think, actually, I would bet, that this method would slow down the flow of the comps considerably, esp at First.

I don't care much for that score sheet, as there's no reference to gates.
I'd prefer to use a sheet that had all gates numbered out.

While I'm not opposed to trying a new system, we really haven't had a lot of mistakes with the current one. I think just a little more care taken when scoring, would prevent 99.9% of the mistakes.

I definatly wouldn't be in favor of starting a new system at our next comp, since it's usually the biggest comp of the season, I don't think we would want to slow it down any.

I also don't think 1 judge and 1 time keeper per course would work. Who wants to be stuck on 1 course all day? Most of us want a break, and to see some other runs on the 2nd course. IMO that would make it too close to a "job" and I have to wonder how many would offer to score if they were tied to 1 course all day?

I also can't help but think what a mess of sloppy wet papers we would have on a damp comp day, it's enough trouble to keep the 1 sheet/clipboard dry.

I believe this issue deserves further discussion, we should do that in the judges thread, which I will bring back to life now.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Listen beaches the photos are the most important part who cares about the scores there must be photos.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

We ran a sheet for each person at the last comp, and let everybody run when they wanted to. It actually worked very well. The only hassle was telling the person to grab their scoresheet after the run, they generally wanted to skeedaddle out before I was done tallying score.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
We ran a sheet for each person at the last comp, and let everybody run when they wanted to. It actually worked very well. The only hassle was telling the person to grab their scoresheet after the run, they generally wanted to skeedaddle out before I was done tallying score.

This is for the most part the same way they ran Ohio, and it ran smooth as hell with 60 driver's. I think it's crazy not to try it at least once........
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #12

Here's are my opinions, take them for what they're worth (not much)...

First, one sheet or many sheets - don't have a strong opinion, both have there advantages/disadvantages. If many sheets I would think smaller (5.5 x 8.5) plus sturdier (card type) paper would work better.

General judging/time-keeping thoughts:

- all marks should be accompanied by an audible statement (if the judge marks a touch he should state "touch" so the driver hears him). I think this already happens 95% time but it's the 5% when it doesn't that might cause misunderstandings.

- time-keepers (especially the newer ones that randomly get handed the stop watch) need to be reminded that they need to also watch/call penalties since the score keeper is not always able to keep his eyes on the happenings.

- (this is request for discussion more than an opinion): if the score keeper and time keeping person both "miss" (don't see) a penalty - does it exist? Another way is to ask whether penalties called out by spectators (and not seen by the judges) should be recorded or ignored?

- regardless of which way the sheet issues plays out (one or many) I do agree that there should be some kind of PRELIMINARY score tally done after each run so that any big obivious mis-marks (mark a touch instead of a rollover, etc.) could be caught... Nothing fancy, just a quick 30 second tally to help the judge/driver catch any issues.

Thanks,
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

- all marks should be accompanied by an audible statement (if the judge marks a touch he should state "touch" so the driver hears him). I think this already happens 95% time but it's the 5% when it doesn't that might cause misunderstandings.

- time-keepers (especially the newer ones that randomly get handed the stop watch) need to be reminded that they need to also watch/call penalties since the score keeper is not always able to keep his eyes on the happenings.

- (this is request for discussion more than an opinion): if the score keeper and time keeping person both "miss" (don't see) a penalty - does it exist? Another way is to ask whether penalties called out by spectators (and not seen by the judges) should be recorded or ignored?

nonsense, every opinion counts man

I think we need to keep the QT on the spectator call-outs IMO. It really should be the timer/caller out'r and the scoring Judge only.

There has and are times where the guys watching tend to excessively call things out while someone is running. Although it adds to the "fun", it can raise the chance for miss marking/scoring of a run when there is someone new on the score sheets. Not saying everyone should stay away from the course when someone runs, but at least keep a lid on it during the run, trash talk after the run away from the courses.....

As far as the score sheets thing, Troy, you should have a copy of the score sheet from Ohio. Plan and simple 9-10 gate sheet, penalty/score spots everything to give it a whirl........

WTH, post up a poll for single or 1 sheet per course/driver till mid week
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I would be willing to judge my own runs, also other if I had too
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Here's are my opinions, take them for what they're worth (not much)...

First, one sheet or many sheets - don't have a strong opinion, both have there advantages/disadvantages. If many sheets I would think smaller (5.5 x 8.5) plus sturdier (card type) paper would work better.

General judging/time-keeping thoughts:

- regardless of which way the sheet issues plays out (one or many) I do agree that there should be some kind of PRELIMINARY score tally done after each run so that any big obivious mis-marks (mark a touch instead of a rollover, etc.) could be caught... Nothing fancy, just a quick 30 second tally to help the judge/driver catch any issues.

Thanks,

I'm with Dave on this. Audible calls by the time keeper MUST be called.
Personally, I don't think there's any problem with the current score sheets. It's not the score sheets making/causing the error/s
No matter what we decide to use for score sheets, mistakes can happen. Do we need to change score sheets every time a mistake is made? or do we correct the mistake/s?
People are just now getting used to the score sheets we have.
I don't think the problem has even been addressed in any of our posts.
Can anyone tell me how a new score sheet will prevent mistakes?

I think we need to have the same core group of 8-10 people score all the time, that way we could have a judges meeting, and make sure everyone calls out penaltys and marks the score sheets the same.
We really haven't had that many errors in scoring.
I think a little more caution when marking score sheets, and quickly reviewing the score sheets after each run would take care of any issues.
I still don't think our biggest comp of the season is the time to try out new score cards, IMO it would be much better to use the current system, and talk about and vote on new score sheets over our short break.
I honestly think new sheets this next comp would slow us down, and mess up the smooth flow of the comp, and the biggest comp of the season, should run smoothly. Esp with out of town guests.
Again, I really don't think it's the score sheets fault for mistakes, and I really don't see any posts addressing the real issue.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 07-31-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Web Wheeling

Rough draft of the score card and score sheet, look it over and give your ideas/feedback. I printed them out and ran through them, they seem very easy to follow.

PDF links if anyone wants to print one off and see how they look.

http://turtlecrawler.com/junk/Score%20cards.pdf

http://turtlecrawler.com/junk/Score%20sheet.pdf
Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Maybe my input isn't needed for your guys club, but I'll through out IMO.
Good start Mike, do you guys have club logo or something to put on there?
Troy I'm with you on not the biggest comp of the year. But you are coming off like you don't want to try something that could make it simpler and easier to use.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
Web Wheeling

V2

Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I like the scorecard and freecrawl idea. Seems like thats what the big comps are doing so some people must like it. I do agree with freetime though that we should wait until after the next comp when things shouldnt be so hectic.

I'm willing to fill in judging/timekeeping when needed, but as many of you know I'm a picture taking fiend so personally I would rather man the camera.

Does anybody bring a copy of the rules to the comps? If not I'm going to print one off and put it in a fancy binder so anybody can take a quick look at it if needed.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

ill time keep id rather time keep than judge sorry guys
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote