Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Axial - wheel weights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

Default Axial - wheel weights?

For those of you with Axials - how much (if any) weight have you added in the front/back?

I added 6oz to each front wheel and noticed an improvement. I then added 6oz to each rear wheel and it seemed to get a little worse - better then no weight added front or back but a little worse than front only...

I have the battery on the front axle - what's a good weight and what front/rear ratio?

Thanks,
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm using 7oz in each front and 3oz in each rear for a total of 20oz on the rig not counting a 6cell sub c batt on the front. It handles VERY well for me and can climb about an 75-85 degree vert.

Hope it helps.

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
I'm using 7oz in each front and 3oz in each rear for a total of 20oz on the rig not counting a 6cell sub c batt on the front. It handles VERY well for me and can climb about an 75-85 degree vert.
Hi Tim,

Sounds like you're getting great results - do you have the stock tires or did you upgrade?

Speaking of tires - I've chopped the heck out of my foams and even with the wheel weights I'm not seeing much flex with the stock tires - what is everyone else doing/seeing?

Thanks,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

I prefer weight in the front only myself, I have only about 4oz in my fronts with stock axial BL's. I run the same 4oz in my Eritex BL's, but they're much heaver then the Axial s to begin with. Experimenting is probably your best bet. What works for One, doesn't always work for all.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Hi Tim,

Sounds like you're getting great results - do you have the stock tires or did you upgrade?

Speaking of tires - I've chopped the heck out of my foams and even with the wheel weights I'm not seeing much flex with the stock tires - what is everyone else doing/seeing?

Thanks,

I think I only saw maybe 2 people use the stock tires. I haven't seen anyone on the forum thats been able to get decent performance out of them. Most are running Losi Rock Claws, or One of the 3 new Pro-line crawler tire offerings. Panther also has some crawling tires coming out, and HPI has what looks to be a decent crawler tire coming out too. Saw that on the RCX page, where Badger posted some new crawler items.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
I think I only saw maybe 2 people use the stock tires. I haven't seen anyone on the forum thats been able to get decent performance out of them. Most are running Losi Rock Claws, or One of the 3 new Pro-line crawler tire offerings. Panther also has some crawling tires coming out, and HPI has what looks to be a decent crawler tire coming out too. Saw that on the RCX page, where Badger posted some new crawler items.
Hey Troy,

Thanks for the info. Probably a stupid question but do the Losi Rock Claws fit the stock wheels?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Web Wheeling

I run equal weight front and rear, around 4 ounces added to aluminum rims. I ran mashers and rock claws last year, this year I am really liking the hammers so far, but also have rock claws and badlands to run.

Any 2.2 tire will work with your beadlocks
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #8

I also saw this in another post tonight. Talking about the smell of the stock Axial tires. And a way to soften them up.
DKingston is a Rep for Panther tires.

dkingston
Pebble Pounder

The powder laundry detergent will neutralize the PH in the tire and eliminate the release agent.

Wash for 5 minutes then stick in the dryer for 5 minutes on high. Not only will the smell go away, the Axial tires will work better as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
tjb
Rock Crawler

I did OK with the gizards last season, but the claws are bigtime better. I still have to give the hammers a run yet

I run 6oz in front and 4oz in the rear on my ericsons
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I also heard that 6oz/3oz is a good place to start. Thats what I used and it seemed ok, but i'm new at this.
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
tjb
Rock Crawler

Hey Indy, what about foams? Did you leave them stock or mod them?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Hey Indy, what about foams? Did you leave them stock or mod them?
I chopped the stock foams up pretty good and still wasn't getting much flex with the stock tires. I picked up a set of Rock Claws today - I'll probably try them with my current foams...
Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
tjb
Rock Crawler

I would try them (claws) with the losi foams uncut first. I was very happy how that worked. I switched to the proline mem foams just to try them, and probably going to be going back to the uncut losi foams this comp
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
I would try them (claws) with the losi foams uncut first. I was very happy how that worked. I switched to the proline mem foams just to try them, and probably going to be going back to the uncut losi foams this comp
I debated which to try first but ended putting the cut ones in... I did a little testing and saw some improvement - it was dark though so I wasn't able to see how the tires were deforming. If it ends up being to much I'll swap in the new ones...

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks,
Yep, I'm using the stock axial rock lizards that came with the kit. Although, they've had about 30 miles put on them too soo...lol. They work great for me as of right now, I also use the stock foams at the moment and have cut them in my own custom pattern that works great in the terrain around here, which varies from sharp pointed rocks to soft dirt inclines, creeks, trails in the woods and just about everything in between. They fold great for me with the setting they're at now.

I am not running different tires at the moment because I just bought some and am currently waiting for their delivery, I'm also trying to get some more beadlocks so I can have them mounted for "quick switches". I think I have a pic of the way I cut my foams still if you'd like to see it. As far as the tire folds, I have some pics of them un-weighted from before I got some weights but need to get out and take more with them weighted in the same areas as the old pics. I've driven on the same spots and it has shown great improvement!

-Tim

Last edited by Tim_B; 04-23-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote