Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Tire Adhesive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tire Adhesive

For those who were at, watched, or read about the Midwest Challenge this past weekend no doubt heard about the use of 3M adhesive spray on competitors' tires. There is no rule in the USRCCA rules prohibiting the use of adhesives or tire conditioners. In fact, people have been using Simple Green to soften tires for a long time.

But on a local level, I do not want to see the use of such adhesives at Taylors Falls. Whether the damage to the environment is minor or even non-existant, the sight of spraying tires may be enough for the rangers there to question and look at us in a different light. I don't want to risk loosing our comp spot.

The use of Simple Green or other conditioners at home to wash/condition tires is perfectly fine in my opinion, just not an adhesive at the park.

What do you guys think?
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Web Wheeling

Crap, I guess I need to turn down my 3M sponsorship now :(
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Crap, I guess I need to turn down my 3M sponsorship now :(

X2....

Like we discussed on the way home. Compounds should be fine, ADHESIVES a no go. too much to risk at the park...

Now servo tape,,,, that's is different!
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

Too funny, I was just going to post up in the "any crawlers in Mn" thread, asking you guys what you all thought of the tire glue. Lol, I also don't want to see it at Taylors, we've got it good there. Maybe we should vote to make it a local rule for MNRCRC?

I was also going to ask why none of you guys thought of it First?
Baller must of had some Final Net hair spray in his over night bag
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #5

I know that I am new to the crawling scene but when I saw the pics of the Omaha comp and the 3M, it kinda made me angry. I get the use of traction compound to soften tires but isn't the use of spray adhesive a little far? I guess I just like to see a guy have to setup a truck to fight the conditions instead of just spay something on the tire to help it get up a incline (I know that setup does play a part still).

Glad to know that I will be crawling in a group that puts more thought into the truck than a can of 3M.

Just my worthless $0.02

-Josh
LOW&SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i agree with josh. using spray adhesive is a cheap trick and i personally think i should be banned, but thats just my opinion.
joehein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #7

The use of spray glue was really bush league and made the competition a farce and doesn't belong at any of our comps.
mn_gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

No spray adhesive.....................Not even in the truck, out of site.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default dumb

why dodn't we just carry the trucks through the course
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW&SLOW View Post
I get the use of traction compound to soften tires but isn't the use of spray adhesive a little far?
It doesn't sound like you have any experience with traction compound if all you think it does is soften your tires.

I'll bet you guys have to run bare foot while competing after Jake's "shoe in" trick at the Nationals 2 years ago.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Web Wheeling

The big reason we are going to ban adhesive spray locally, is so we don't upset the people at the state park. We don't have many locations we can use, and do not want to get kicked out of the state park. Our state is very protective of its state parks, we have lost a number of 1:1 wheeling trails to the tree huggers.

Had I known the adhesive was the ticket to making it up the wall of death, I too would have sprayed my tires. I would like to see the use of glue banned in the rules, but until it is I have no problems using it at comps that it is allowed and will help.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'll bet you guys have to run bare foot while competing after Jake's "shoe in" trick at the Nationals 2 years ago.

They always run bare footed in MN, thank God bango's are to hard for them to play!

I think some of the Point is being missed here. With the Taylor's Falls being a outdoor rec area that's loaded with Tree huggers. I don't think it would be cool to even think of having one of them see a guy shooting M77 in the parking lot, and then running all over the rocks there.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
I think some of the Point is being missed here. With the Taylor's Falls being a outdoor rec area that's loaded with Tree huggers. I don't think it would be cool to even think of having one of them see a guy shooting M77 in the parking lot, and then running all over the rocks there.

I understand your point and I would apply the same rules if we could still compete at our Bean Hollow location or any other "state park" location for that matter.

I was more making fun of LOW&SLOW's comments. But I guess if Baller is in your club then this guy must be just as gay if not more gay then baller.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I was more making fun of LOW&SLOW's comments. But I guess if Baller is in your club then this guy must be just as gay if not more gay then baller.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Now that is funny !!
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I used to run pan cars back in the day, and those guys would use every trick in the book (and some n ot in the book) to cheat enought to keep up with the sponsored guys who had new gear every week....
I like the idea of useing skill not something you can buy....
I quit raceing due to the cheating and specing and then trying to keep up with sponsors...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I think everybody is blowing this way out of proportion. I used the spray and still didn't make it up the climb. You still needed a good rig, skill, and a little luck. I dont think he did anything wrong because he told everybody about it, he didn't try to hide anything. I dont think we need to worry about it at TF because is a dirty outdoor area, wont help us. People have been using sauce on tires for years, its not cheating, and yes glue and sauce is the same in my book. You are using both items for the same intentions. I also agree that we shouldn't allow the use of chemicals at TF due to the protection of the environment and maintaining our good standing with the park. If people need to clean their tires at TF we should only be using water. Even simple green could be used against us if everbody is seen spraying it around the park.
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #18

Is there a place in the rules as to what we can and can't do to the tires?

Thanks Badger for the comment, hopefully we can meet sometime and I'll bring some Paragon to help soften it up for ya, only then can I show you how gay I can be!
LOW&SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #19

i wouldn't like to see it used at tf
overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW&SLOW View Post
Thanks Badger for the comment, hopefully we can meet sometime and I'll bring some Paragon to help soften it up for ya, only then can I show you how gay I can be!
If your serious, we could do a live broadcast of you taking advantage of miniballer.

Nice come back though, I take back how I thought you were as gay as baller. You have made it very clear that you are not a bitch like baller and that there is no one as gay as baller.