Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Input needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Input needed

I had my 10 year old, full suspension mountain bike stolen from my fiances garage last fall. New it was about $3500 plus the upgrades I put on it. Well, I found it on craigslist today in MN. I had reported it stolen, but never had a serial number. Now the guy has it listed....what should I do. I spoke with the cops in the town it is listed in and in Minneapolis where it was stolen from. Pretty much even though I can name every part on the bike and tell them what is in the bag under the seat and my shoes clip into the pedals that I can't prove it is my bike. I have pics, but they won't help. So, do I offer to meet the guy, tell him I know it is stolen as it was my bike, offer him $200 cash and say either he sells it for that or I call the cops and see if he bites?
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I had my 10 year old, full suspension mountain bike stolen from my fiances garage last fall. New it was about $3500 plus the upgrades I put on it. Well, I found it on craigslist today in MN. I had reported it stolen, but never had a serial number. Now the guy has it listed....what should I do. I spoke with the cops in the town it is listed in and in Minneapolis where it was stolen from. Pretty much even though I can name every part on the bike and tell them what is in the bag under the seat and my shoes clip into the pedals that I can't prove it is my bike. I have pics, but they won't help. So, do I offer to meet the guy, tell him I know it is stolen as it was my bike, offer him $200 cash and say either he sells it for that or I call the cops and see if he bites?

Have you tried to call the store you bought it from to see if they have records of the serial #.
Either that, or take a big friend along just in case. Problem is, this guy might have bought it from the person who stole it, and the wrong person would get Fked over. I guess thats why it's so important to keep a serial #.
Good luck in what ever you decide.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Store went out of business over 5 years ago.

Bike company (who I did register it with) went out of business 7 years ago.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Set up a meeting with him at one of the gas stations in TF on a comp day and we'll all go over to meet him.

Have I ever mentioned I despise thieves?
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think you should meet him and just say give me the bike and I wont give the cops all your info. Did he happen to have the snowblower listed ??
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Id say get all your ducks in a row before ya make any bold moves. You might be the one in jail....If he bought it from the guy whostole it then have the guy selling it bring you too him... Try getting reciepts for the add ons???
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #7

Man, this kind of shit pisses me off so much....I like DirtyAl's idea.
JoeSixPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
tjb
Rock Crawler

Put me within 1000yds (unobstructed) of him, I'll get your bike back for ya

I'd take any paperwork you have from the initial report and a print out of the ad, and have someone meet you the same time you're going to go look at the bike...
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Whats up with the prior service guys always wanting to solve problems with violence?

Oh yeah I'm one of them
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Be careful the current person in possession may have bought it from the thief you don't know they stole it.

You need to talk to the police where you reported it stolen. The police need to deal with this.

Call the person say you want to see it so you get a addy.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote