Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Series Scoring System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Series Scoring System

I'm going to push this issue again. Looking at the spring 2009 series, the use of discrete comp scores has created a situation of run-away leads, AFTER THE 2nd COMP!

I propose the use if a uniform scoring system that assigns a series point value to the finishing place of each comp. First place would start at 250pts, decreasing 5pts each place from there (e.g. 2nd 245pts, 3rd 240pts), DNS would be a zero. The one throw-out provision would still apply.

There are a lot of ties, this would go away after the third comp results are entered. As you can see, the series is close, and the competition for National invites will remain heated throughout the season.

Discuss
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like it. It prevents run away scores and you would have to be consistent the whole season to stay close to the top
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have been for this, too. I think it would reward consistency and better driving.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Web Wheeling

Hard to compare, when you are tossing out 1 of 2 comps. And when we did run the numbers before, the change in the leaderboard was very minimal.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Donkey Punch Champion!

yes!!! Keep it close.

Last edited by BigBaller; 05-13-2009 at 01:59 PM.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Keep it simple. Have a drivers meeting on Sunday and just do a show of hands vote on this and go with what the majority says.

Since Mike seems to do most of the tallying after the comps we should try to help him out with it though. Is there a way names can be entered into a spreadsheet or something so that it counts up the scores automatically? I have no clue about that stuff.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Hard to compare, when you are tossing out 1 of 2 comps. And when we did run the numbers before, the change in the leaderboard was very minimal.
Hard to compare?

I will use Kevin as a prime example; 1st comp he took first place, 2nd comp is his throwaway. How could you justify a first place finish would put that person at 8th place for the series...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Web Wheeling

I see that, but adding 2 comps together will show a better contrast of the two. Or running a full chart of last season.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Hard to compare?

I will use Kevin as a prime example; 1st comp he took first place, 2nd comp is his throwaway. How could you justify a first place finish would put that person at 8th place for the series...

This way is much better. It will only make a 5 point difference between places. Not 1st place has -17 and 2nd ends up with a +5. That is almost a runaway. Don't over think this guys. Let's change it.

Last edited by BigBaller; 05-13-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
I see that, but adding 2 comps together will show a better contrast of the two. Or running a full chart of last season.

Then RUN IT BITCH! You got the numbers and nothing better to do...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It doesn't matter, if his first place was at a difficult comp (high score) it will continue to penalize him throughout the season as a high point value, not as a reward for beating the other competitors at that particular comp.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
Web Wheeling

I would rather see the comparison on a full series, rather then 2 comps with the worst score tossed out. That does not show the run away in the end of a season. I believe when we tried running both scoring systems one season, we still had run away leaders. Only a few people changed spots, top 3 remained the same.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
Donkey Punch Champion!

Well, where is your comparision Mike? Run it. Really this proposed way is going to keep things much tighter. Only rewarding the driver's on ability not luck. Some weeks the courses are tougher then others. Still only 5 points would seperate the positions. Not 30 points or more.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Web Wheeling

Both ways you have the same battles and the same gaps. But this is only covering 2 comps, a full season needs to be compared to show how big the leads can be with both systems.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

wow kinda glad i stepped away for a bit wow a good way comes up and mike as usual is against it what a surprise mike you dont like change do you .....i'm not a very good crawler but i do see how it would be better chris deans way but ill stick to my scalers till you guys can figure out wtf is going on and agree
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Web Wheeling

I am not totally against it, just want to see a full season points spread comparrison. We looked at both options in the past. We also discused it at both meetings, both times Dean was the only one that supported it at the time if I recall correctly? I know Baller was laughing at dean about it. We also had very close races at the very end of the seasons with our current system, either way we had large point spreads.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

One thing I know is you will never make everyone happy and you will go nuts trying. This item was discussed before the season started and voted on by members to stay the way it is currently. Does that mean it is the best way? NOT NECESSARILY. Does it mean it will be changed? NOT NECESSARILY Should it be changed mid season? TOUGH TO SAY, BOTH SIDES WOULD HAVE VERY VALID POINTS ON THIS ISSUE

What I do believe is that it should be in the National rules on how to score a series that qualifies for a national event. If clubs want to try running a different point system, then the club would not be able to send a competitor(s) to nationals.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #18
Web Wheeling

We don't make changes mid season, but we can change things for the second season.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We don't make changes mid season, but we can change things for the second season.
"we" the club, or "we" you?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

Kevin said he doesn't want to make changes mid season before.