RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Minnesota (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/minnesota/)
-   -   2015 MNRCRC Season - Discussion/Idea Thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/minnesota/512293-2015-mnrcrc-season-discussion-idea-thread.html)

dna4engr 10-17-2014 09:41 PM

2015 MNRCRC Season - Discussion/Idea Thread

Hey guys,
At the last comp we talked about having a year end meeting rather than just a kick off meeting. This way for those of us who do a lot of tinkering and building in the winter we can be ready for the season kickoff next year.

MEETING DATE SET - December 7th @ Davannis @ 11:30 AM in Richfield by the Hub Hobby

6345 Penn Ave S
Richfield, MN 55423

Figured I'd start a thread to get some input on rules, classes, comp schedule, etc. or just some bitching :mrgreen:

I would like to say first of all, that this has been a great first season for me. Thanks to all the veteran guys who have really helped me up my game and thanks to all the other newcomers who have been coming out this season, hope to see you at the last comp this weekend and at the howl crawl.

Heres the key subjects and I'll try and copy/paste everyone's feedback back to the OP on the corresponding topic.

Schedule:
  • Byron was such a great time, we definitely need to have that on the schedule if we can.
  • How about Duluth area, the beach and the dam were great spots I'd go back for sure.
  • Incorporate local GTG information into the schedule

1.9 class rules
Add some basic rules, but not too restrictive??
  • No Comp Chassis
  • No dig or Rear Steer
  • At least 1 straight axle
  • We need to discuss number of drive axles overall for the trail classes. What's the harm in allowing a 6wd or 8wd rig? My gut says a lot of gates would be hit
  • Maybe we have a "try it and see if you like it" rig at the comps. Something capable but low powered to let anyone passing by try. I'd think between all of us we can piece together an scx10 pretty easily. I definitely have parts id donate.

2.2 shafty class rules
  • Idea - could this be just a scale/trail class? 2.2 tires with a scale appearing rig.
  • No pure comp tires?
  • Or maybe keep it like this year but sort out trail and sportsman rigs at the end of the year for a winner in each??
  • Idea - I'd love to see an open class kinda like class 3 in sorrca but without the scale point system. 4ws and dig are allowed but you take a one time penalty for using them.

2.2 pro class rules
Need to discuss the life of this class. How many more years will we run?

Other discussion:
  • What about another TTC. I would live to see some Yetis blasting through a mud pit
  • We've muddled thru several g6 events now. Definitely need to have more. I wonder what it takes to get Parker and the g6 crew to come to town??? A few of us chatted about going to an event nearby (Missouri, etc). Would be cool to have a good MNrcrc showing.
  • What about a small U4 series. Do we reduce our comp crawling events, do we add more events. We need some land
  • Selfish plug here. For those who have the itch all year round, Phil will be hosting winter crawls at his garage again.
  • Help organize multiple regional clubs that can help grow the hobby throughout the state. Band together for special events??
  • Get involved with western Wisconson crawlers. Maybe a Mn vs. Wi comp or G6 or TTC??
  • Advertising - we need to decide upon a person or persons to handle distributing flyers to hobby shops and get some business cards or small flyers to hand out at Taylors Falls. Also the flow of information to/from RCC to facebook, etc is key (as we saw at the Howl Krawl)
  • What about an inclusive 1.9 and 2.2 combined "stocker" class? Only can run an off the shelf rig with bolt on modifications, motor/esc/servo, and wheels/ tires. No custom axles, no knuckle weights, no "comp" stuff. Think Honcho with better tires and steering servo and motor/esc with Al links. Running 2.2 (wraith/ridgecrest) against the scx10 can work as you set up the gates and challenges - some to favor a narrow rig, some for a wide rig.
  • Incorporate comp style portions of an afternoon trail run. Go out for a couple hour run at TF and put up some gates where we will score people per the normal point system (but only 6-8 gates). Run rigs right after the other with no time limit. Just give people a taste of the comp.
  • For lack of a better name, I'm going to say we need a welcoming committee at the comps. Just one person at least. Talk to passers by when not running, hand out business cards, put the radio for the "try it " rig in some kids hands (kids young and old)
  • Collaboration with western Wi. Let's setup a crawling event day with them comp crawling, trail run, g6, ttc, whatever. I gotta think the other side of the river has some sweet rocks too.
  • Mnrcrc membership gets you into events for the year and a t-shirt (up it to $40??)
  • Any interest in other items like Hats or Sweatshirts?

The goal here is to collect ideas that we can all discuss and decide on as a club. Give your ideas some thought and throw up as much detail as you can.

Thanks,
Dana

CmdrZod 10-17-2014 10:59 PM

Re: 2015 MNRCRC Season - Discussion/Idea Thread

Maybe bring a pen and paper to the comp on Sunday and we can work out/get ideas/take notes for what we'd like to see next season while we are BSing during down time... Just my $0.02

dna4engr 10-18-2014 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CmdrZod (Post 4922533)
Maybe bring a pen and paper to the comp on Sunday and we can work out/get ideas/take notes for what we'd like to see next season while we are BSing during down time... Just my $0.02

Will do!

Definitely want some feedback from folks that won't make the comp this weekend so please chime in here.

Thanks,
Dana

Stormin2u 10-18-2014 12:58 PM

Great to see this come up early.

The Pro Class seems pretty well defined IMO. Even though I never really liked the clod truck concept unfortunaly. My Pro truck is getting old long of tooth as they say and I'm not sure I really want to upgrade it. :shock:

I like the scale trucks they have increased our membership it's been a good direction. But at this point we're only interested in scale comp style competition.

1.9 was supposed to have some rules in place? All though it seemed to be a pretty much open to anything with 1.9 wheels this season?

2.2 is a hodge podge of "what ever you brung with 2.2 wheels" it's almost to loose. I woudn't mind seeing a pure 2.2 scale class.

It's been impossile to keep up with all the new next great kits being released or even have classes for them all? It's almost overwhelming as the market goes every which direction dispie the reality of declining local club memberships?

The last five years has been great for manufactures but not so geat for club members or club membership building. This hasn been complicated by the USRCCA rules commity doing absolutely nothing to stabilize club membership declines with class rules that would lower "class overal costs" like the lack of a minimum weight limits on vehicles in all classes?

Clubs need to create affordable classes or continue go down the road of out pricing it's potential new local membership.

Nicklepimp 10-26-2014 12:16 AM

How would Nov 30th or Dec 7th work for everyone for a winter meeting?

CmdrZod 10-26-2014 04:44 AM

As F'ed up as my schedule is as long as its a Sunday it'll work better but I would have a better shot at attending if it's on the 7th... Pretty sure we are going to be running trains the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

diesel kawboy 10-26-2014 06:18 PM

I'm fine with both dates so long as after the meeting we decide it's a date that will really live in infamy...

How many thinkers are among us?

minnesotamudder 10-26-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel kawboy (Post 4929194)
I'm fine with both dates so long as after the meeting we decide it's a date that will really live in infamy...

How many thinkers are among us?

Well I guess college paid off for something.:shock:
I know what it is, lets see how many others will get it.:mrgreen:

semnmrc 10-27-2014 08:46 AM

Infamy works.

Stormin2u 10-28-2014 08:02 AM

Infamy and toy trucks don't often cross paths? Congratulations to all we must be a "special" bunch of toy truck nerds? I meant enthusiasts. "thumbsup"

djjiz 10-30-2014 01:32 PM

1.9 class had rules.

No comp chassis
Scale tires only (no cut and shuts)
No dig or rear steer
Must have 1 straight axle.
No more than 4 drive wheels

I like these rules but I don't understand why we should be limited to 4 wheels. If someone shows up with a 6x6 or 8x8 I wanna see them run. We shouldn't turn away or discourage these drivers from competition.

grunt95 10-30-2014 01:54 PM

Had this idea today while I was running a mill.

It seems that the scale side of things for the club is going quite well the only problem I see is that if we want to get more people we need to have more events so people can come. My idea was that we kinda split our state up into groups or Clubs and each club has some events specific to their area but also we still would have the MNRCRC Club events. If people want to go to the other club events so be it but I think doing this way we will have more events but these club events can just be a small fun run but it still gets people out and familiar with the people already in the club.
Sorry for just rambling on it sounded a lot better in my head then it does on here but its just an idea like I said.

djjiz 10-30-2014 01:58 PM

If someone wants to take on that role we would all do what we can to make that happen but it's nothing I would want Pimp to do.

grunt95 10-30-2014 02:40 PM

Oh no see it would be the small clubs job to create events for their local community. There would be a Club leader(or two) for each "sub" club and they along with their local club members would create events and what not.

Like for you Chad, you could be the club leader for the D.O.R.K.S and you along with your local members would create events in Duluth or near. That way at least people dont have to drive to kingdom come to go to an event. The only problem I see is there would have to be small club meetings just like the one we have coming up and its going to be a big responsibility for the club members to out together the events. But honestly if its just like every other week your club decides to do a fun run at least it shows support and gets more people out of the wood works.

The reason im trying to get more events is because for the last event I posted it up on facebook and as all of you saw we had a lot of new members come some locals and some had to drive pretty far, but at least it shows there are people interested in crawling.

djjiz 10-30-2014 02:46 PM

Understood.

It would be pretty cool to see people show up to any event. The hobby shop I work for sells at least 1 crawler every two weeks and they're never seen again.

If my work schedule is friendlier next year I'll do what I can to get DORK up and running. Some of the original crew are dusting new and old trucks off and mention how much fun we used to have just free crawling.

grunt95 10-30-2014 03:13 PM

Maybe you should ask to post up some flyers at the shop you work at?

Yeah thats the point just fun free crawl or if you want to get crazy so be it.

djjiz 10-30-2014 03:20 PM

Fliers get posted every year but it's usually centered around competition. I can get 1 out of every 20 crawler customers to consider showing up.

It's easier to sell the idea of free crawling and g6 events.

grunt95 10-30-2014 03:36 PM

That statement is so true. So maybe to increase the clubs number of people we need to provide more laid back free crawls and fast past G6s?

djjiz 10-30-2014 03:40 PM

I'd like that.

It's alot easier to justify the time and money spent to only running 14 minutes.

grunt95 10-30-2014 03:53 PM

Yes a lot easier and hell its way more fun to get some friends together for a day and just go out and explore.