RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Minnesota (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/minnesota/)
-   -   2015 MNRCRC Rules/Schedule Meeting Notes (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/minnesota/517979-2015-mnrcrc-rules-schedule-meeting-notes.html)

dna4engr 12-08-2014 08:12 PM

2015 MNRCRC Rules/Schedule Meeting Notes

Hey Guys,
Rather than add to the idea thread. Figured I'd break out the details of our meeting yesterday here.

THE RIGS

1.9 Trail Class:
  • No MOA - Must be shaft Driven - Only 1 Transmission
  • No Dig or Rear steer
  • Must have 1 Solid Axle
  • 1.9 Scale Tire
  • Axle quantity not limited to 2
  • Non-Traditional Model Exceptions Allowed:
    • 1.9 modded AX10 Deadbolt/Ridgcrest/Wraith
    • 1.9 modded Wheely/Crawler King
    • Tamiya CC01/CR01
    • Vaterra Twin Hammers
2.2 Trail Class:
  • No MOA - Must be shaft Driven - Only 1 Transmission
  • No Dig or Rear steer
  • Must have 1 Solid Axle
  • Scale 2.2 Tires - Excluding (Any Pin tire, HB Sedona/Rover, any cut-n-shut)
  • Axle quantity not limited to 2
  • Tube frame and ladder frame chassis allowed
  • Model Exceptions Allowed (must have scale appearance, body or panels):
    • AX10 Deadbolt/Ridgcrest/Wraith
    • Wheely/Crawler King
    • Yeti
2.2 Pro:
  • No Changes to 2.2 Pro MOA Rigs
  • 2.2 Sportsman "Comp" rigs will run in 2.2 Pro with MOA (Dig is Allowed)
SCHEDULE
(General Details - Actual dates will be hashed out in an upcoming thread)

Consensus is to maintain similar schedule to 2014:
  • 8 Comp Dates - Taylors Falls and Duluth
  • 4 Scale Events (G6/U4)
    • 2x Byron (if the land owner will have us again), 1X Thompson Dam, 1X Sandstone
    • Change for 2015 is to really elevate these events. Our goal is to grow the size/scale/participation. Potentially having one event with sponsorship and prizes
    • Make 1 of these or other events a Special Interstate event with Wi, ND, Ia. "Border Battle"
Don't forget the Snow Crawl Series at Phil's - Monthly through the winter - Very Informal but a lot of fun "thumbsup"

Open Items:
  • TTC - We need to determine when/where we could hold another TTC this year
  • Dedicated U4 Race event - We have an possible location to build a functional U4RC course (and maybe a TTC course) - More to come...
ADVERTISING:
  • River to handle Facebook Cross communication
  • Dana to post on RCC for events, comps, and Club information
  • Marketing materials - Flier (Dana/Mike)
  • Business Cards - J to rough out design and get quote
  • "Try it for fun" Rig - A specific thread for this will be coming shortly!!!
  • Webpage - Mike/Kevin to check on Domains and simple design concepts (possibly use for scoring vs. Google docs)
  • Sandwich boards for comps (direction to where we are) - Kevin/Mike
  • Tshirts - Kevin to talk to Ryan about options
  • Stickers - Mike
RESPONSIBILITIES:
  • Advertising and information changes mentioned above
  • Comp course setup - J
  • Score entry and posting - Kevin to make database, need to assign folks to enter data
  • After comp cleanup - Chuck will assign cleanup duties at each comp
OTHER DISCUSSION:
  • Run Order -
    • There was a lot of discussion on this in the thread. Some very good points were made at the meeting to keep the run order as today (Course setup/difficulty, cleanup, attendance)
    • 2.2 Pro, 2.2 Trail, 1.9 Trail
    • 1st from previous week goes first on Course 1, 2nd goes first on Course 2
    • Remaining order is first come first serve - You Must set your rig down in line at the start to call your spot (hopefully this will reduce confusion)
  • Score sheets will be handed to you after your run to bring to the next course - Don't lose it (unless it is your final run)
  • Sponsorships - J will work with vendors and Hub Hobby to help us out when we have a big event draw (i.e. Border Battle) and maybe some sponsorship
  • MNRCRC Contingent for Missouri or other close G6 and Crawlapalooza (more details to come)
  • For an OPEN class that allows 4ws or dig in the trail rigs, we will watch to see if more and more rigs show up with that feature and we can consider adding.
Thank you to everyone who made it yesterday and provided feedback on the Idea thread. We have a great opportunity to have a killer 2015 season and really grow the hobby and the club.

Dana

Stormin2u 12-11-2014 07:20 PM

Re: 2015 MNRCRC Rules/Schedule Meeting Notes

Thanks for the update Dana your a good man and well organized. Looks like a productive meeting. "thumbsup"

djjiz 12-11-2014 10:33 PM

A lot of likes from me. Good job guys. Really looking forward to creative rigs as well as the rtr's.

semnmrc 12-12-2014 10:00 AM

The Byron location has an open invitation to us pending 2 things.

#1 We don't request time when the 1:1 rigs are there, which will be holiday weekends a weekend in October that's Toys for Tots, and usually a weekend in August. Once the RRR gets the schedule for 2015 out we'll know more.

#2 We let the landowner know beforehand.

I will try to keep an eye out for the RRR schedule and let you know as soon as I know.

Great job and thanks for the time and work!

drjones1981 12-13-2014 07:36 AM

So your saying i need to put dig on my bodyless and run with moa rigs or get a different rig. We need more sportsman rigs but who gonna build one if they gotta run with moa's. If i put a body on my rig can it be run in 2.2 trail If your gonna make exceptions for deadbolts and other rigs ? I personally don't want to run with moa rigs even with trans/dig .

CmdrZod 12-13-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjones1981 (Post 4984193)
So your saying i need to put dig on my bodyless and run with moa rigs or get a different rig. We need more sportsman rigs but who gonna build one if they gotta run with moa's. If i put a body on my rig can it be run in 2.2 trail If your gonna make exceptions for deadbolts and other rigs ? I personally don't want to run with moa rigs even with trans/dig .

You don't have to put dig on... But it will help... In all honesty my ax-10 with dig competes pretty well in the pro class... It just needs a better driver.

drjones1981 12-13-2014 07:52 AM

Guess my point is say i go buy a ax10 deadbolt (legal rig) mod it the way i'd want, it would basically be my rig with a deadbolt body .

CmdrZod 12-13-2014 08:32 AM

Well there hasn't been enough active members with sportsman rigs to justify keeping the class separate... That being said we have been having a lot more involvement in comps and other club events once we had a "scale/trail" classes. What the goal is, is to increase the club size and involvement and the thought by most in this side of our hobby is that its going back to more of a scale looking rigs. And in the discussions at the meeting its looking like there may not even be a "pro" class in 2-3 years due to lack of vendor support.
But... I wouldn't be against having a * put down on the score sheet saying its a sporty rig and just running them on the same courses as the pro rigs.

Nicklepimp 12-13-2014 09:06 AM

We also discussed at the meeting that if we have 4 or more of any other class of rig other than what are running show up to our comps, we will gladly separate them into their own class. Its not worth the effort if its only one comp, but if they are regularly appearing, absolutely! So just find 3 other 2.2 Shafties to come out, and its on!"thumbsup"

drjones1981 12-13-2014 09:16 AM

I dont want a sportsman class . just think all 2.2 tired shaft driven crawlers should run together on the same course no matter what the chassis configuration is. Or keep it seperate and run true trail rigs only with rail based chassis . i get that trail truck are at a disadvantage against sportsman style rigs but if your gonna allow some exceptions it should be open to all shaft drive 2.2's

drjones1981 12-13-2014 09:20 AM

Also sportmans rig being judged on a moa course is a disadvantage to the sportsman guys because the course is usually harder.

Nicklepimp 12-13-2014 10:29 AM

If they were their own class, then we would adjust the gates for that class like we always do.

And I would argue that the 2.2 trail rigs (mostly heavy tubers) would have a greater disadvantage over the comp 2.2 shafties than the 2.2 shafty against the 2.2 pro. Last year we had one 2.2 shafty compete at a few comps, and it wasn't even close.

diesel kawboy 12-13-2014 10:40 AM

we usually ran the sportsman class on the same course as the pro class regardless.taking a few aditional reverses is no where near the disadvantage of scale framed rigs vs a bodiless sporty.

BigBaller 12-13-2014 10:53 AM

Wow, lots of crying about the shifty versus MOA. :lmao:

How about you bring your rig out and compete with the group a few times and see how it plays out. Lots of people talk...come on out and crawl. :roll:

dna4engr 12-13-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjones1981 (Post 4984307)
Guess my point is say i go buy a ax10 deadbolt (legal rig) mod it the way i'd want, it would basically be my rig with a deadbolt body .

Hey Chris,
The challenge really becomes the bodiless setup and the tires. If you threw a scale body (not a comp sporty body) and some scale tires on it, it would be just as fair as the ax10 deadbolt as we've laid it out. Leave it as she sits and she's in the "pro" class. Come to think of it, since we didn't rule out the HPI rock grabbers you have, no need to change tires for 2.2 trail. For example Jakes AX10 is borderline since it has scale tires but an old school scorpion body on it. Does that really give him an advantage...idk.
Scale suspensions can be tweaked so well these days that it really comes down to having some similarity in other characteristics. That's where the scale body, which will make the rig taller and raise the COG comes in.

To be honest, I think the AX10 deadbolt and ridgecrest are a disadvantage. The chassis (CG is too high) and suspension setups never seem to work out well compared to a really good scaler.

Zod makes a good point. When he was able to make the comps this year his sporty did better than several moa rigs in the pro class. May not be on the top of the podium every week but it will be competitive. If you and Jake and Zod and 1 other (I think Justin Williams has a Losi Night Crawler) make a comp. We would definitely have you guys run the 2.2 Pro course but only compete against each other.

Dana

drjones1981 12-14-2014 04:54 AM

Thanks dana

djjiz 12-14-2014 05:42 AM

I'd bitch about classes but I can't because I actually show up to these events. :flipoff:

Nicklepimp 12-17-2014 02:57 PM

I heard back from the park today. They are ok with us using the sandwich board signs."thumbsup" I'll get with Mike and start working on them.

Stormin2u 12-17-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjones1981 (Post 4984804)
Also sportmans rig being judged on a moa course is a disadvantage to the sportsman guys because the course is usually harder.

We ran a "shifty" (Ballerism) with a dig in the MOA class for three years and we did quite well against the "clods" it was actually a little embarrassing for some. We then ran it in the 2.2 Trail Class and won every event we entered practically and that wasn't a fair competition at all no question.

Trust me these guys know what their doing with this club so bring your rig out you just might have good time and make some new friends."thumbsup"

PS. The "shifty" comp rig is my favorite rig to compete with and I've owned them all in the last decade competing the MNRCRC people. So come on out you'll have fun and if your good you'll beat some MOSs it's fun it's fun to be the underdog really fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklepimp (Post 4985182)
If they were their own class, then we would adjust the gates for that class like we always do.

And I would argue that the 2.2 trail rigs (mostly heavy tubers) would have a greater disadvantage over the comp 2.2 shafties than the 2.2 shafty against the 2.2 pro. Last year we had one 2.2 shafty compete at a few comps, and it wasn't even close.

We were the "shifty" he's talking about it's not fair at all to the 2.2 trail class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklepimp (Post 5028259)
I heard back from the park today. They are ok with us using the sandwich board signs."thumbsup" I'll get with Mike and start working on them.

That has to be a first for a State Park they must really like us. :shock:

CmdrZod 12-17-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicklepimp (Post 5028259)

I'll have to get that container to you so you have an idea of how big to make them... Maybe after the first of the year.