Thread: ~~ MNRCRC 2015 Comp #1 - May 3rd - Taylors ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ~~ MNRCRC 2015 Comp #1 - May 3rd - Taylors ~~

MNRCRC Comp #1
Date: May 3rd
Time: Set-up begins approx. 9am and the comp starts around 10ish

Classes will be run in this order. In order to keep things moving, when each class starts, set your rigs at the starting gate in a line, so we know who will be running 2nd, 3rd, etc.
2.2 Pro
#1- He won last year, so I think Chuck should go first

2.2 Trail
#1- Yea, Chuck should go first here too

1.9 Trail
#1- Might as well make Chuck go first again

As always, helping with course setup or cleanup is appreciated.

The results from last year can be found here.

Detailed local rules for the rigs can be found here.

No rig will be turned away. The number 1 goal is to have fun. If possible we'll help you get your class into "the rules" but we want anyone to come out and have a good time playing with their "toys"
(NOTE: a Summit or Yeti XL might struggle fitting through 16" gates, but it'd be fun to see it try)

1.9 Trail Class
Get your SCX10 or TF2 ready. Any rig with a 1.9 (or smaller) scale tire is welcome.

2.2 Trail Class
New this year is a dedicated 2.2 trail class. That's right, got a 2.2 wraith, deadbolt, or scx10? We finally have a class for you!!!!

2.2 Pro
And, as always, we will have the 2.2pro class. Anyone not familiar with the rules of this class or the rules in general can check out this link HERE.
Pro rigs include any MOA or sportsman rig (including dig) on a comp chassis with comp tires.

SCORING
Because as we have been doing in the past, and it has been working out very well, we will share the judging duty's.
1st--- you will time and call out penalty's for the person before you. This will give you an opportunity to see the course before you run.
2nd--- you run the course.
3rd--- you will score for the person behind you. I would encourage anyone not comfortable with the rules to ask for help! I would also like to see everyone take the judges test HERE.

Fees:
-MN State Park parking permits are required, but are available at the park for either a daily pass for $5 or a year pass for $25 (good at any MN state park). Season passes can be purchased ahead at places like REI
-Also there is a club fee of $3 per comp or $30 for the series. Females and young kids run for free. Ask for Kevin (nicklepimp)

Directions:(map)
From the South: Take I-35 north. Take the Taylors Falls Exit, Hwy 8 East. Follow 8 approximately 22 miles. The entrance to the park office is located on the right hand side of the road at the only stop light in Taylors Falls. Stay to the right as you enter the parking lot.

From the North: Take I-35 south. Take the North Branch Exit, Hwy 95 East. Drive approximately 22 miles, passing through downtown Taylors Falls. At the stop light (intersecting hwy 8 ) continue straight. Stay to the right as you enter the parking lot.

From the East: Take Hwy 8 west into Minnesota. After crossing the St Croix River, turn left at the first stop light. Stay to the right as you enter the parking lot.

If there are some new people that haven't been to an event yet, just look for all the middle aged kids playing with toy trucks!

(Sandwich board signs coming soon....)
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ~~ MNRCRC 2015 Comp #1 - May 3rd - Taylors ~~

Darn, looks like my ancient TLT gopher tuber will have to run in the pro class. It's no match for true pro class rigs, but it has (7-8 year old) 2.2 comp tires, and isn't quite exactly scale. It doesn't have dig or disconnect and is a shafty. It has a droop suspension setup but is still rather top heavy compared to the 2.2 pro rigs. Maybe when I get there we can determine if performance wise it would be a fair match for 2.2 trail lol! I can't afford any new rigs or stuff to modernize my current rig so I'm stuck with it for the moment.

Here is a link to show the rig in question. RC Rock Crawler - Album on Imgur

Last edited by theTman; 04-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
Darn, looks like my ancient TLT gopher tuber will have to run in the pro class. It's no match for true pro class rigs, but it has (7-8 year old) 2.2 comp tires, and isn't quite exactly scale. It doesn't have dig or disconnect and is a shafty. It has a droop suspension setup but is still rather top heavy compared to the 2.2 pro rigs. Maybe when I get there we can determine if performance wise it would be a fair match for 2.2 trail lol! I can't afford any new rigs or stuff to modernize my current rig so I'm stuck with it for the moment.

Here is a link to show the rig in question. RC Rock Crawler - Album on Imgur
For the sake of fairness, we'd have you run with the 2.2 trail rigs. Full tube rigs are still scale. Just no ladder frame, which is just fine. Most scale tires today outperform those old comp tires anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Might need a loaner but I'm in.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
For the sake of fairness, we'd have you run with the 2.2 trail rigs. Full tube rigs are still scale. Just no ladder frame, which is just fine. Most scale tires today outperform those old comp tires anyway.
yeah, and also that rig is ~6 or more pounds! I know many scalers are rather heavy compared to those fancy and light pro rigs.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think I'm the only one left running a shafty in the pro class, because like you, I can't afford to be upgrading regularly and putting the high end parts in as they come out.
But I'm out for this weekend. Ill try and make it to the next one!
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Might need a loaner but I'm in.
Chadwhich .. Greg will be Turkey hunting this weekend it's just Brawley and I so your welcome to drive any or all of our rigs.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrZod View Post
I think I'm the only one left running a shafty in the pro class, because like you, I can't afford to be upgrading regularly and putting the high end parts in as they come out.
But I'm out for this weekend. Ill try and make it to the next one!
Where are all the moa rigs coming from? I've been out of the loop, but I thought the moa rig from axial got discontinued, and to get a moa you had to pay out the nose for moa axles from an independent fabricator or something.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The MOA class looked a bit sick for a while but it's picking up again. You can pick up XR10 parts on ebay, RC4WD makes their Bully MOA axles and Berg is still making their axle. The after market for MOA axles and parts has some really nice hardware. I've had a XR10 for years and I might even up grade it next winter if the class continues to grow.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think I'll stay away from MOA rigs. Once I am better off I'll get either a SCX-10 or a Vaterra Ascender. I hear the latter comes with better hardware for your money. I'm not worried about there being less aftermarket support for it. I'm not into crazy expensive blinged out shelf queens. Also, the selection will grow. I might swap the body for something less clunky though. The stock body is said to be bulky, but to be fair it is scale, and the K-5 Blazer was a bulky, clunky rig I've heard. Thanks to the ability to change the wheelbase built into the kit changing bodies will be simple I hope.

Last edited by theTman; 04-27-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm not very familiar with the Ascender it looks nice. I have to say it's going to be hard to beat the SCX10 in all categories not to mention it's aftermarket options.

The way the club is set up today anybody with a RC 4x4 will have a class to run in with the MNRCRC on Comp days even a guy with an old Gopher. So don't be a stranger T-man the Gopher is still alive remodel it.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I'm not very familiar with the Ascender it looks nice. I have to say it's going to be hard to beat the SCX10 in all categories not to mention it's aftermarket options.

The way the club is set up today anybody with a RC 4x4 will have a class to run in with the MNRCRC on Comp days even a guy with an old Gopher. So don't be a stranger T-man the Gopher is still alive remodel it.
Running with stock electronics, the ascender has a lot of advantages over the scx10. Smaller ring and pinion makes a smaller pumpkin = more ground clearance. More lock to lock steering than the scx10. I believe a little bit wider track width too.

However, the driveshafts are prone to failure (MIP already has an upgrade). That's why I say stock electronics. The higher gear ratio in the axles means you have to gear down the trans, but still an interesting looking rig.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Running with stock electronics, the ascender has a lot of advantages over the scx10. Smaller ring and pinion makes a smaller pumpkin = more ground clearance. More lock to lock steering than the scx10. I believe a little bit wider track width too.

However, the driveshafts are prone to failure (MIP already has an upgrade). That's why I say stock electronics. The higher gear ratio in the axles means you have to gear down the trans, but still an interesting looking rig.
Vaterra addressed the drive shaft issue along with an issue with the pinion gears failing. They are currently producing their kits and RTRs with included HD pinions and a much improved drive shaft. There may be other kinks to work out, but it will be a while before I can buy one anyway. I like the easy access to the pumpkin guts, as well as the panhard steering setup being standard, and providing a mounting place for a winch. They also set up the battery mount to move with the front axle to act as unsprung weight. The tranny can also be upgraded into a 2 speed tranny with a few extra parts. It has all metal links as a standard (saves money by not having to upgrade right away) and their shocks don't leak horribly (another money saver). There are a lot of other benefits too. Maybe Axial will up their game with this new competition in their midst. It's ridiculous the stuff that needs upgrading on a new SCX-10 right out of the box.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Donkey Punch Champion!

Buy Axial, or you'll be sorry.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Buy Axial, or you'll be sorry.
Why? Do you not trust Vaterra because it is new? It will be a while yet before I can even think about buying a new rig. Most likely not even this season. There is plenty of time to see how the new Ascenders hold up over this crawling season. So far I like how the company has been proactive on fixing issues customers find with the truck. After all these years axial still has crappy leaky shocks on their RTR's, and has links that bend. If the arrival of the Ascender gets axial to up their game and start fixing age old issues then maybe I'll go SCX-10.

On another note, the weather forecast says 80% chance of thunderstorms in Taylors Falls, with potential severe thunderstorms. I'll have to wait and see when in the day they are expected as we get closer to Sunday, but we may get rained out.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ryan doesn't know what he's talking about.

diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
Ryan doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sounds like Ryan hasn't changed much :P
Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #18
Donkey Punch Champion!

Yeah, I got no clue....

I haven't changed one bit, still a no bullish!t kinda guy. Tell it like it is no matter who thinks I give a sh!t about their opinion.

So, back to toy trucks...

Axial is still and will continue to be the greatest option to build off. As for a rtr not coming with metal links and plastic ones...it does include a better set of electronics then the Vaterra and links are cheap to make or buy. The Blazer body is goofy large and the scx10 options are 6 and look killer. Quit trying to be that cool guy with the odd rig, follow the crowd and fit in. just sayin...
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #19

I'm out, dammit. Funny how things show up on the calendar at the last minute.
Orange58Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

I have toy trucks, can I come?
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote

~~ MNRCRC 2015 Comp #1 - May 3rd - Taylors ~~ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MNRCRC 2015 Schedule Planning Nicklepimp Minnesota 52 05-04-2015 06:50 PM
~~MNRCRC 2015 Test and Tune~~ dna4engr Minnesota 0 04-21-2015 09:31 PM
2015 MNRCRC Rules/Schedule Meeting Notes dna4engr Minnesota 29 04-16-2015 10:22 PM
NMRCC 2014/2015 Comp 9.5 Top of Copper 3/01/2015 scomck5 New Mexico 8 03-01-2015 08:28 AM
2015 MNRCRC Season - Discussion/Idea Thread dna4engr Minnesota 100 01-18-2015 12:40 AM