Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Living in Minnesota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Living in Minnesota

Hey the wife and I are thinking of relocating from Iowa to Minnesota and were wondering if anyone knows of some good areas with good schools that are trained for special needs children? We have two with autism and want to be somewhere they can get the attention they need while also living somewhere not so damned hot. We are also avid hikers and obviously I rock crawl/trail. Anyone know of some good areas we can start looking in to? I see there are active clubs in the state, and Id like to live near them, but it would be a bonus and less a deciding factor hehe.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Living in Minnesota

Hey man. I hope you do decide to relocate. The local Comp crawling and trailing clubs are mostly based in the cities but there are guys in Duluth and southern Mn too.

On the school front I’m not really sure where the best ones are. Especially for what is best for your kids. I know they exist, I’m just not well versed. Hopefully someone else on here can chime in.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So far it seems like there is a lot of stuff near Mineapolis.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Check out the Spring Lake Park school district 16. I’ve heard their special need programs are very good. Spring Lake Park is a suburb on the north east side of Minneapolis
Regards
Larry
laedco58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Google Minnesota Autism Center. There are quite a few, Rochester, Duluth, Metro areas, to mention a few.
Depending on where you move to, school districts should be able to meet your needs.

Good luck and hope this helps!
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info, Im definitely going to look into these recommendations.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Spring Lake Park is a good district as is my district in St. Anthony, however my girlfriend's son (entering 3rd grade) is on the autism spectrum and attends Karner Blue in Circle Pines. The 916 school district is the one you want to look at. My girlfriend knows a lot more about this than I so if you have more questions, you can message me and we can get her involved a bit if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Spring Lake Park is a good district as is my district in St. Anthony, however my girlfriend's son (entering 3rd grade) is on the autism spectrum and attends Karner Blue in Circle Pines. The 916 school district is the one you want to look at. My girlfriend knows a lot more about this than I so if you have more questions, you can message me and we can get her involved a bit if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the offer I’ll do a little bit of reading on what I can fine and if I have any questions I’ll definitely hit you up thank you.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I live in Maple Grove / Plymouth area of Minni. My wife and I relocated here a few yrs back from New Mexico. My oldest daughter has an IEP that she struggled with. Poor training and understanding of children with special needs.

That being said, we have seen a wold of difference with her in the schools in Maple Grove. They attention they give their students IMO is top notch. The teachers and their assistants are truly committed to making sure each student is successful and most important, happy.
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

So it looks like a lot of the suburban area housing is pretty expensive, anyone know of some more rural areas that would have bigger houses / more land for decent prices? preferably with a mortgage or rent under 1300$ a month.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

we have 5 kids so need something in the 4 bedroom range.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

What are you and/or your spouses profession? Only ask as most metro areas will not be easy to find 4-5 beds for that price.

The further away from the larger cities, the less chance of finding the help for your kids. But the further from the city usually is cheaper housing.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by semnmrc View Post
What are you and/or your spouses profession? Only ask as most metro areas will not be easy to find 4-5 beds for that price.

The further away from the larger cities, the less chance of finding the help for your kids. But the further from the city usually is cheaper housing.
The wife does radiology nurse work and I work online. So we need to be about an hr or less from a hospital/X-ray place, and need access to high speed internet.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
The wife does radiology nurse work and I work online. So we need to be about an hr or less from a hospital/X-ray place, and need access to high speed internet.
With the medical field people usually think of the Mayo Clinic, which as you probably know is in Rochester. Rochester is NOT an easy place to find affordable housing, IMO. We used to live in that area and still have many relatives there.

I think the farther North you go, past the metro area, the cheaper housing gets, with the exception of Duluth. Most places have hospitals that are always looking for qualified help.

It took us a couple years to find the right house!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I moved to Hammond WI and work in Minneapolis. Pretty affordable housing out here and I'm about 50 min from the big city. I noticed that you get a lot more for your dollar on this side of the river. I used to live in Stillwater, I love that area.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
I moved to Hammond WI and work in Minneapolis. Pretty affordable housing out here and I'm about 50 min from the big city. I noticed that you get a lot more for your dollar on this side of the river. I used to live in Stillwater, I love that area.
My wife mentioned WI but we hadnt really started looking in to it. Ill start looking in that area too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semnmrc View Post
With the medical field people usually think of the Mayo Clinic, which as you probably know is in Rochester. Rochester is NOT an easy place to find affordable housing, IMO. We used to live in that area and still have many relatives there.

I think the farther North you go, past the metro area, the cheaper housing gets, with the exception of Duluth. Most places have hospitals that are always looking for qualified help.

It took us a couple years to find the right house!

Yeah we want to avoid living in too congested an area, were definitely not city people. North lines up with what I want, colder weather with more places to crawl lol!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Yeah we want to avoid living in too congested an area, were definitely not city people. North lines up with what I want, colder weather with more places to crawl lol![/QUOTE]

We live on the east end of the Iron Range, about an hour from Duluth. We have a couple weeks of heat sprinkled about, the rest is pretty much winter!

Hospitals up here are usually advertising for help.
Also, I think if your child has an IEP (not sure I got that right) I believe the school district, by law, has to provide help. Not saying how good it will be.

Living in Minnesota - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone in central Minnesota? chevysgeterdun Minnesota 2 09-13-2014 10:44 PM
Anybody in Minnesota rcking1984 Minnesota 12 04-07-2012 07:29 PM
Minnesota Comps. carp40 General Crawlers 3 05-18-2010 05:35 AM
minnesota 1:1's joehein Chit Chat 6 03-20-2007 08:23 AM
Anyone in Minnesota? HULK Minnesota 1 05-20-2004 08:59 PM