Thread: MNRCRC North Shore Shootout

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default MNRCRC North Shore Shootout

Proposed dates: Aug 10-12-2007
Super Class, 2.2 class, and scalers.
I would ask that only MNRCRC, or any MWRCA guys that may be thinking about coming vote.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 03-28-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Web Wheeling

Why so late in the year? I would rather go up ther ein may
Old 03-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Why so late in the year? I would rather go up ther ein may
Mostly because the Nitro series runs both of our weekends in May, and I thought that would count those guys out.
post up alternate dates you're interested in.
Edit: Part of the other reason I chose Aug, is the predictibilty of the weather.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 03-28-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Web Wheeling

We do want to hole one or two comps up there, why not a comp for our second run in may?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
We do want to hole one or two comps up there, why not a comp for our second run in may?
That would be 5-18-20th 2007
I'm up for that date as well as 8/10-12th 2007
Anyone else??
We just need a suitable location.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Web Wheeling

When we were first talking about doing this, the plan was to head up Friday night or Saturday morning and camp some where. Do some scouting and bashing on Satuday, with the official comp to be held on Sunday. We could loosly plan the courses Saturday as well. I would like to head up there for a day in April or early may to nail down a comp location, and meeting place first.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
When we were first talking about doing this, the plan was to head up Friday night or Saturday morning and camp some where. Do some scouting and bashing on Satuday, with the official comp to be held on Sunday. We could loosly plan the courses Saturday as well. I would like to head up there for a day in April or early may to nail down a comp location, and meeting place first.
Let me know when you're heading up on a scouting mission. I too thought about an early Spring trip North for some scouting.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

when you guys go scout out a location i would reccomend checking out gooseberry falls. it has many places that would be suitable for crawling, and some trails that would be awesome for trail rigs. it is the best state park in MN in my opinion. and in the lower falls you are allowed to go for a dip in the river because it is slow, shallow, and has alot of rocks to climb on; it is pretty much the most popular spot in gooseberry falls, although all the people and water in that area would not make ideal comp conditions the rest of the park would be great. they also have alot of camping spots. if you do go there you should reserve a couple or a few camp sites for us all to pitch tents and make into our own little crawler camp. we should see what people have in the way of camping equipment. if i can get my dad to come, we have alot of great camping stuff he and i may bring. every summer my mom and him go on a 9 day camping trip, so we are well prepeared and geared up. here is a link to the park on the dnr website. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_par...lls/index.html

Last edited by theTman; 03-28-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Gooseberry is cool but I think Duluth may be the best choice for lodging and thank you for considering us guy's who run the Nitro Series, that is my primary R/C outing. I am from Two Harbors as I may have mentioned once before and Gooseberry is very very busy I think for a comp to be held and I know the park rangers used to frown highly about going off any regular trails, as I have stated I will give you guy's a tour of a few spots to be scouted but with my new baby I would need a little heads up. There is a little park right in Duluth that I think has aloy of potential. If I haven't built or bought a crawler by the first comp me and silverdirt make he has sponsored me a rig to run so I am now an official factory team driver for "Team Silverdirt".
Other locations include Brighton Beach, Skyline Parkway, and a Leif Erickson Park. Like I mentioned I would like help scouters with this if you want, I was born and raised up on the northshore.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Web Wheeling

Yeah, gooseberry is far to busy, there are plenty of good places up there to check out.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

While I haven't been there for ten years or so, I remember J Cooke state park just southwest of Duluth being a pretty rocky place. I don't know if there are any suitable areas to run a comp though.

The St. Louis river would definately be a water hazzard you would want to avoid.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #12

The voting is going well
Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpsterRC View Post
While I haven't been there for ten years or so, I remember J Cooke state park just southwest of Duluth being a pretty rocky place. I don't know if there are any suitable areas to run a comp though.

The St. Louis river would definately be a water hazzard you would want to avoid.
j cook would be an awesome place to crawl at. it isn't very busy either. it has alot of rocks all over the place. even the river is full of layers of rock that twisted vertically over the centuries. you can roam all over the park. there are occasional hikers passing by, but i don't think they would cause any issues. and if it or gooseberry are too active for a comp, they would still be good places to crawl for fun. also between duluth and gooseberry falls along the scenic highway that goes along lake superiors shore there are many streams that flow into it that have places to park nearby. my mom is crazy for agates and this area is one of the few picked over places. no one really is around these areas. i only have seen people in these places only just outside duluth. once you get a few miles out it is pretty empty.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpsterRC View Post

It was one of the places of my choice to bring scouters, not real busy and plenty of area's with rocks.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #15

Poll closes on the 12th. Are we just going to blow this off like last year? (we talked about it then too) or can we come to a conclusion and get this figured out in time for people to properly plan?

Is no one interested except the few of us that posted here?

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 04-07-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Any date is fine by me as long as it's not on our comp dates and not on July 4-6. (zookimelt)
Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
Web Wheeling

Polls are gay, just post what you think. I know several people wanted to do something up in duluth.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

May is going to be REALLY cold for camping.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #19
Web Wheeling

You always have to bring reality into the game, don't you cole? Maybe we should do it in June then.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I would probably come down to Duluth for a day. Two might be a stretch. Saturdays are probably best for me, although Sunday afternoons could work.
Closed Thread