Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Mississippi

Notices

Thread: Gulf Coast "RC Outlaws"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gulf Coast "RC Outlaws"

A few months ago, I got hooked up with some great guys here on the MS Gulf Coast; RC Outlaws https://www.facebook.com/groups/203950043290808/ They have monthly comps and the turnout has been getting bigger and bigger. Last comp there were about 3 or 4 Class 1, 20 Class 2 & a handful Class 3. There is a great diversity of people there. From guys good at crawling, fab work, electrical etc... I have learned a good bit from them (besides what I've learned on here).

The next comp is March 11th and they will be raffling off a SCX10 II!! The comp is in North West Gulfport off Menge Ave north of I-10.

https://www.facebook.com/events/7107...D&has_source=1
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gulf Coast "RC Outlaws"

Well I'll be. I do t do Facebook but would be down to attempt to crawl an event. I've got two Wraiths and a hybrid R1/SCX10 crawler. Hopefully I'll get started on my d90 semi scaler soon.

Can you keep updates here for those that don't Facebook? Maybe pics of the courses and comp, too.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just sent the group a request to join. I'm in South LA and would love to hit the comp in March but I'm building a house now and that's consuming. I'll be sure to try the next
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Just sent the group a request to join. I'm in South LA and would love to hit the comp in March but I'm building a house now and that's consuming. I'll be sure to try the next
I know that feeling!!!

The Comps are usually the 2nd Saturday of the month.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Well I'll be. I do t do Facebook but would be down to attempt to crawl an event. I've got two Wraiths and a hybrid R1/SCX10 crawler. Hopefully I'll get started on my d90 semi scaler soon.

Can you keep updates here for those that don't Facebook? Maybe pics of the courses and comp, too.
Sure, I'll post the event info up when they come available.
The events are usually the 2nd Saturday of the month at around 8am. They typically last till 2 or 3:00. But 9 times out of 10, they do a fun night run.

10250 Old Sidney Rd, Pass Christian, MS 39571 is the address. If you see the old Coca Cola 18wheeler, look to the right.

Pics?? How about videos!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxG...9ML_S2y7doETug
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
I know that feeling!!!

The Comps are usually the 2nd Saturday of the month.
Monthly at the MS address?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

I've been looking into this group also, I'm just getting back into rc and this seems like the only active rc group in south Mississippi. What hobby shops are y'all using these days? Orange grove isn't as good as it once was, but they seem to be getting better.
Longarmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Monthly at the MS address?
Yes. May venture out into other areas, just not at the moment. A few guys did go up to Red Bluff this weekend. They may (or may not) look into doing something there one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longarmtj View Post
I've been looking into this group also, I'm just getting back into rc and this seems like the only active rc group in south Mississippi. What hobby shops are y'all using these days? Orange grove isn't as good as it once was, but they seem to be getting better.
I have an Ascender, so there's no hobby shop around me that I deal with for parts. Odds and ends type of stuff I go to HobbyTown in Mobile, AL as I live in east Pascagoula, so its closer. That and I race rc dirt oval behind the shop periodically.

I've never been into Orange Grove shop but have heard its nowhere near what it used to be. Not many, if any rc race tracks in the area to support it I guess.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Me and a buddy were both looking into racing outdoor short course or stadium truck, I have a few rc's and my buddy also but the crawler area seems to be more active in the area. what kit would you suggest we build? We are both on the outlaw page through his and my wife's Facebook page. We just want to have a good time hanging out and competing with fellow rc enthusiasts.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Me and a buddy were both looking into racing outdoor short course or stadium truck, I have a few rc's and my buddy also but the crawler area seems to be more active in the area. what kit would you suggest we build? We are both on the outlaw page through his and my wife's Facebook page. We just want to have a good time hanging out and competing with fellow rc enthusiasts.
Personally, I'd go with the Axial SCX10 II or Vaterra Ascender. The Axial has more mod parts than the Ascender. You can get mod parts for the Ascender, but you have to go to multiple places to get them I have found.
There's a few of us that run Ascenders in RC Outlaws, but there is more SCX10 and SCX10 II. I got the Ascender because it took some of the issues of the SCX10 and fixed or improved them. It still has its faults but I love mine. The SCX10 II has fixed or improved on some issues of the first SCX10, I think trying to compete or out-do the Ascender.

I definitely suggest a kit of either one. Most the electronics found in the RTRs are ok at best. My RTR servo recently junked out on me after some hard crawling. But the factory 35T motor, ESC and Spektrum RX are still kicking. But I do have spares ready to go if they do crap out on me.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default Gulf Coast "RC Outlaws"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
Yes. May venture out into other areas, just not at the moment. A few guys did go up to Red Bluff this weekend. They may (or may not) look into doing something there one day.

I have an Ascender, so there's no hobby shop around me that I deal with for parts. Odds and ends type of stuff I go to HobbyTown in Mobile, AL as I live in east Pascagoula, so its closer. That and I race rc dirt oval behind the shop periodically.

I've never been into Orange Grove shop but have heard its nowhere near what it used to be. Not many, if any rc race tracks in the area to support it I guess.

A Red Bluff outing would be fun. That's my old stomping grounds growing up. The only problem would be getting down to the bottom to the good stuff.

Orange Grove was bought out by a former employee before the older couple just quit it. At least that was my understanding. He crawls some, too. I ordered me some Mud Slingers and beadlocks once.

Traxxas has a crawler to be released soon. Just saying, since every shop I've seen carries Traxxas bits. The crawling scene may pick up.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 02-28-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Ive never been to Red Bluff. Been wanting to take the family there to see it for a few years now. Just haven't made it. Hopefully this spring we will and I'll sneak the crawler in.

They are also looking at the MS River model in Jackson as a place to go to as a group. But like Red Bluff, nothing is set in stone as of now.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It's not what it used to be. But it's still cool.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Going to have a "test n tune" practice day this Saturday starting around 8. They will be working on the course some and doing some drone videos. The course is plenty big enough so if they are working on one part, there's way more to practice at.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yesterday we had a fun day of crawling practice, course work and lunch. Ribs and burgers on the grill crawlers on the rocks... was overall a great day. I got in a lot of practice with some loaner wheels and tires until mine make it in. 6oz in each tire really let my Ascender grip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0CoY_kGyi5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CoY_kGyi5Q&t=9s

I FORGOT HOW TO EMBED A YOUTUBE VIDEO! HELP!!!

Last edited by NTA_Shawn; 03-05-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #16

How big is the class 3 out there? I've been looking into the ascender, gmade Komodo, and scx for class 2 but I really like the looks of class 3 the more I think about it.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
RCC Addict

For the 3/11 meet, there was 5 trucks listed. If I could make it, would be 6.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
How big is the class 3 out there? I've been looking into the ascender, gmade Komodo, and scx for class 2 but I really like the looks of class 3 the more I think about it.
The last time was 4 or 5 in Class3. I think that's one more than the previous comp; so its growing.
My buddy's gf just got a Komodo and we're not too thrilled with it. Steering is lacking, battery location is dumb etc... Its all somewhat simple fixes though. The body is pretty nice, it comes with lights, roof rack, sand rails etc... Scx is pretty popular out there, but there's a few Ascenders giving them a good run for their money.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I'll have to google the class classifications. I have no idea what category my rigs would fall into. I just build them to go as best as possible within reason.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I'll have to google the class classifications. I have no idea what category my rigs would fall into. I just build them to go as best as possible within reason.
We go by the SORCA rules SORRCA.com. Trail Finders and rigs like that go into course one (tire/wheel size rule). SCX10s, Ascenders, Komodo etc... go in class 2 unless modified to be a class 1 or 3. Wraiths, Bombers, full customs, 4wheel steering, dig etc... go into class 3.

I thought my Ascender would be a class 1 seeing its out of the box and an "everyday driver" type of rig. But the wheel/tire size made it a class two. Which is ok by me because the class one group here is pretty tough!

Gulf Coast "RC Outlaws" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Coast RC Crawlers Comp #6 The Finals at "The Good Spot" 5/5/12 Illeagle Competitions 13 05-07-2012 09:15 AM
Axial West Coast Championships, "Sponsor Request" KING BLING Past RCCA qualifiers 1 07-03-2008 03:17 PM