Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Missouri

Notices

Thread: Wraith building question.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Default Wraith building question.....

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Well Santa left a Wraith kit under the tree this year for me and I cant wait till its built. My question is all I have is the kit and nothing else so before i start building the kit is there anything I just need to have in which not to screw myself ? Ive been reading the wraith threads but to be honest Im not up to speed with alot of the new trinkets ( batteries, motors and speed controls ) that are out there... I know these questions are asked all the time and Im sorry for asking again I was hoping maybe the MO guys could take me under there wings and point me in the right direction.....

thank you

P.S I hate being a NEWBIE!
williamsfw2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wraith building question.....

Have you read Harleys thread....?

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ssis-pics.html

Can not think of a more imformative thread on the Wraith. Welcome to the addition.
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That thread is a little intimidating (but id still go through it as time allows), let me give you the quick and dirty

brushelss, use sensored 13.5, good all around setup for crawling and bashing

Velinion - go fast setup, sensorless so not good for crawling, but a good waterproof brushless setup - invest in new drive shafts.

You can also go brushed, some of the guys are running the Holmes Hobbies 13t Crawlmaster Motor and Holmes Hobbies BRXL esc to good effect.

IF you dont have a radio id go for the futaba 4PL, good value, good features for crawling.

Servo, you don't need all that much, 160 oz + is probably good, get metal gears. Tower Pro are like 10 bucks and 200oz with metal gears.

the stocker the RTR has works great and its water resitant.

Batteries, id just hit hobbypartz or hobby king and order in a couple 5000 mah lipo's and youll be set.

This should give you a place to start

Oh and this is shameless self plugging but you can follow my wraith setup on youtube if ya want

volume 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfo4ZKNsyw

volume 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS155-kSJMk

Last edited by ev0l; 12-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also, I think there a metric ton of wraiths in the club now, we may need a wraith class
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

ev01 thanks for all the info..... Should I have the motor and speedo before i build the the kit?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsfw2427 View Post
Thanks guys!

ev01 thanks for all the info..... Should I have the motor and speedo before i build the the kit?
It helps, there are parts of the build you wont be able to finish untill you have those parts, like sealing up the radio box and installing the tranny and gear cover.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

I figured that would be the case after looking at the instructions.... Ill go looking at the local hobby shop and see if they have some of the stuff i need.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #8

Velinion would limit crawling in what way if you dont mind me asking and would any of the Castle stuff work? I mean if its better to wait for a 13.5 censored I would if thats a better choice?

Cool Vids ev01 by the way....!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Velinion would limit crawling in what way if you dont mind me asking and would any of the Castle stuff work? I mean if its better to wait for a 13.5 censored I would if thats a better choice?

Cool Vids ev01 by the way....!!!
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

The Traxxas setup isnt sensored so you dont have the precision throttle control that a sensored setup will have. It takes a moment for the ESC to find what direction the motor is going when off throttle. This results in a delay in throttle application. A sensored setup lets the ESC know where the rotor is at any time. This results in brushed like precision with the benifits of a brushless motor.

Castle has the Mambamax Pro which is sensored. Not sure if they offer sensored motors yet or not.

The Tekin RS is a great setup if you're going brushless. Thats what I run.

Novak also has the Goat brushless system that would be a good choice. I also have one of these in my sportsman crawler.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #10

Thanks ev01 ! I guess i may be waiting so i can get a sensored set up.. But now i know why I need to wait ....
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks ev01 ! I guess i may be waiting so i can get a sensored set up.. But now i know why I need to wait ....
To get going you might just pickup some take offs from a RTR, the AE-2 and stock 20 turn is plenty of zoot to have fun with and can be had on the cheap.

Last edited by ev0l; 12-30-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #12

Ok I will look. Im headed to the hobby shop tomorrow and Ill see what i can find...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #13

Well I started my Wraith build and all seems to going ok... I will say I was surprised to see plastic shock bodies....

I wonder if there are going to be any more surprises ...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I started my Wraith build and all seems to going ok... I will say I was surprised to see plastic shock bodies....

I wonder if there are going to be any more surprises ...
Thats been pretty standard from axial on non competition kits. Find some XR10 shocks on the for sale section. Everyone hates them, but they work awesome on the wraith. picked up an entire set for 30 bucks shipped!

They use plastic tranny gears, also pretty standard from them, and of course plastic links. I'm still running mine.

the plastic shocks seem to hold up just fine, they just aren't very smooth.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
20K Club

Awesome another Wraith in the club!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #16

Well I finished building the Wraith today... She's not trail ready yet but soon I hope...

I do think I made a couple of mistakes.. Battery tray I cant seem to get the darn thing to line up with the shock mounts.. Now I cant see in the instructions that there connected but it sure looks like they should. Also it looks like the cockpit does screw down to the cage but once again it never shows it in the instructions... Now I could have missed it but I just couldnt find anything on those two.

Fun build I think I need another one!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #17

I hope so Harley.....
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #18

Hi guys,

I chose to go with the Tekin RS sensored motor combo. I plan at this stage of the game to run 2S and theres a Hitec 985 servo steering. One question I have is about the BEC.... I read and read about them on this site however i still am having a bit of trouble understanding enough about them to know if i need to have one?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hi guys,

I chose to go with the Tekin RS sensored motor combo. I plan at this stage of the game to run 2S and theres a Hitec 985 servo steering. One question I have is about the BEC.... I read and read about them on this site however i still am having a bit of trouble understanding enough about them to know if i need to have one?
You don't "need" one on 2S, but you will get better performance with one. Its pretty simple, on the Rx plug from the ESC, pull the red wire out so that only signal and ground connect to the Rx. Plug your BEC into the battery plug on the Rx (reciever). Most people tap the power wires for the BEC directly to the leads coming in from the battery. that's it in a nut shell. Hook it up to to a castle link and make sure it's set at 6volts and you're good to go!

Harley has a nice diagram of this laying around here, mabey he will post it up for you

Last edited by ev0l; 02-20-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #20

Dont need it but better to have it.... gotcha! I guess Ill be picking one of those up.. Thank you

Wraith building question..... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff issue while building Wraith kit. stricker76 Axial Wraith 4 10-25-2011 09:38 PM
im building my first rig and have a question dmercier82 General Scale Talk 4 11-24-2009 06:23 PM
Battery building question dj23gsx Electronics 4 02-08-2009 10:45 AM
Shock building question Mgoetz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 12-21-2007 08:59 AM
Building a droop rig. got question damion289 Newbie General 11 10-26-2007 09:17 AM