Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Montana

Notices

Thread: HPI build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default HPI build

I'v been trying to get everything to extend my WB so when it gets here this week I can get started. I went all over Missoula yesterday and I couldn't find any 4-40 althread. I ended up getting 6-32 and now need to figure out what rod ends will work for this? Or if 6-32 wont work what other size can I get and with what rod ends?
I also picked up things to make a Manta chassis. Think its going to be fun to make but never done it so will see how it turns out.

Thanks guys for any info and with any luck I hope to be crawling with you soon..

TAT
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

revo 4mm rod ends will work with 6-32 all thread. In the Treasurechest where they keep the airplane stuff there is 4-40 allthread, next to the pushrods unless Brians out in which case you need to yell at him for me
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks man,
I wish I would have asked earlier.. There closed today. I should of just went there and talked with Brian first it would of saved me alot of time...
Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you could of pm'ed me also. I probably could of navigated you in 2 stops!!
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Manta Chassis Help

What are you using for the Belly plate? I cut out a widdow chassis from Carbon Fiber sheet. It looks awesome. He didnt put a template up for the manta chassis though so I am not sure what to do. My crawler is going to use the axles from my wheely king, MSR10 shocks, Scorpion Transmission, four wheel steering, Losi Rock Claws with weighted fronts. I just cant figure out what to use for the belly plate and mount it to the chassis. I was going to use some of the left over carbon fiber but cant find a suitable way to mount it if I do. Any suggestions?
Neverdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverdone View Post
What are you using for the Belly plate? I cut out a widdow chassis from Carbon Fiber sheet. It looks awesome. He didnt put a template up for the manta chassis though so I am not sure what to do. My crawler is going to use the axles from my wheely king, MSR10 shocks, Scorpion Transmission, four wheel steering, Losi Rock Claws with weighted fronts. I just cant figure out what to use for the belly plate and mount it to the chassis. I was going to use some of the left over carbon fiber but cant find a suitable way to mount it if I do. Any suggestions?
I decided to make the widow. I used the same stuff for the skid and for the support bars. Turned out really good for my first one. Its going to have all WK stuff becouse thats what I have for now but plan on changing as I go.
Cyberhog,
Good to know. I'v do that next time. I know I'll have lots of questions.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What did you use to build the skid and support bars? Mine is comepletely carbon fiber top to bottom. I am going to get a thin cutting board and put it across the bottom of the belly plate so it will slide better.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Ok so I got my WK on tuesday and also had my surgery on my knee. My wife picked me up some Traxxas links (red) at 102mm. There to long for my widow chassis so I have to design a new one. I'm looking at making the chassis shock mounts longer so I can use longer travel shocks from the savage and with the links I'm thinking of just adding to the bottom about 3/8 for the mounting. But since I cant use my saw on the couch I have to wait tell I can walk to the garage.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I built my own links for the Manta Chassis out of 8-32 rod and Traxxas Rod ends #5347 then I sleaved them with brake line I used the stock shocks for mock up and I really like the way it looks and flex's. I have about 3 1/4" of ground clearance. so far I am very impressed. I havent finished mounting everything yet but so far I am very pleased. I think when I put my motor and trans in it is going to squat some but it will still be bad ass. I am using the Scorpion Trans so I have a lower CG. I just need to figure out where I am going to mount everything.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Sounds like your going to have a sweet crawler. I just put mine together stock with extended links and my servo up front with a mount made from plastic. It works good but cant wait to do my chassis. I only did this so I could play around well I sit on the couch nursing my knee. Planning on doing chassis and upgrade the motor and esc. as soon as I can move around.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

It looks awesome. I tried it for the first time tuesday night. Wasnt completely impressed with it but I had other issues other than the chassis. My caster was way off so my drag link was really low and I kept snaggin it on rocks. I used a 85 turn motor and it was way to slow. I switched back to the 55 with a smaller pinion. I also hadnt put my losi rock claws on it yet but they are on there now so I also have more weight in the front about 9 oz per wheel. Hopefully it will work better now. Will keep posted.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I gotta ask, Where's the pics?
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
I gotta ask, Where's the pics?
Yeah, pics would be great. Show us what you got...
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I have some pics but dont see how to put them on. My camara is down so I had to use my phone but I have some..... If I can get them on....
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I dont know how to put up picks either or I would!!! The carbon fiber looks awesome and I would love to show my build. Any body know how to fix a problem with torque flex??? I am having serious problems with that........
Old 03-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Hope this works. I posted some images on another site to load them on here. Since these pictures I have put on my Losi Rock Claws and also changed the shock mounts in the front so they stand up more like the back ones. When I get my camera back I will put up more pictures.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #17

Hey neverdone,
The CF does look good.
If I were you though, I'd be scared having your most expensive electronic component sittin on your front axle to get bashed with rocks!
Those Mamba Max aren't cheap!
Just a thought and opinion though!
sneakyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I know what you mean I just didnt have any other place to put it for now so that was where it was at. I am probable going to leave it there but I think I am going to put a bumper plate in front of it....