Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Montana

Notices

Thread: Montana Q&A section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Montana Q&A section

Jeff, I overheard you saying you build your own links. Where do you get the tubing at? I have an idea for a behind the axle steering setup I want to try fabbing up.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I used solid aluminum rod and drilled the ends then tapped them, I used
4-40, but if I did it again I would go at least 3 mm if not even 6-32 for the links... the rest of the chassis braces I used 3 mm and drilled and tapped them as well. I just couldn't find any 3 mm all thread... I since have...
I got the 1/4 rod at home depot... the 4-40 all thread and 3 mm all thread at Cardinal Hardware I think in 36" or 48". 3mm tap at Northland and the 4-40 taps at home depot ( get a couple they break...) I have only broke the 4-40 all thread once. But beefier is better... bigger rod ends from Northland if you go that route. Mike can help out with the 6-32... thats what his links are.
Hope that helps.
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That does help. I was thinking about some stronger link stuff after that 9100T servo bent my steering arm yesterday. It sprung right back into shape but it was bowed pretty bad before I let off.

So Mike....how about the story on the 6-32 stuff??
Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I was thinking about making some delrin links for the 4 link setup.....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I used 8/32 allthread and 1/4" aluminum rod which can be found at most hardware stores. They should have the correct tap and #29 drill bit also. Grab some Jato rod ends part #5525. Northland usually has these. This is a strong combination. I since have went to delrin links and the comp was the first real test on them but seemed to hold up good.

Last edited by Manson; 08-11-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson View Post
I used 8/32 allthread and 1/4" aluminum rod which can be found at most hardware stores. They should have the correct tap and #29 drill bit also. Grab some Jato rod ends part #5525. Northland usually has these. This is a strong combination. I since have went to delrin links and the comp was the first real test on them but seemed to hold up good.
Thanks Marty, where do you get delrin?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

http://www.smallparts.com/ Look up acetal which is delrin.

Last edited by Manson; 08-12-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Marty, when you switched over to the delrin links, did you cut a piece of allthread to connect the Jato rod ends to the new delrin links?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Marty, when you switched over to the delrin links, did you cut a piece of allthread to connect the Jato rod ends to the new delrin links?
Yep. I drilled and tapped the link about 1/2" to 5/8" deep. Not sure how accurate you can drill the links without a lathe but good luck.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson View Post
Yep. I drilled and tapped the link about 1/2" to 5/8" deep. Not sure how accurate you can drill the links without a lathe but good luck.
Cool, when I get around to it, i'll probably try a pin vise....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default missoula

i visit my hometown Missoula once a year. I bring my crawler with me. Anybody crawl this late in the season?
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10 View Post
i visit my hometown Missoula once a year. I bring my crawler with me. Anybody crawl this late in the season?
Don't know about Missoula... there used to be "MTRCRC" members there, but haven't heard anything from any of them in quite a long time. As for us up here in the Kalispell area, yes we do. We just had a comp last Sunday morning in 18 degree weather
We also have GTG's on an almost weekly basis
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
Oliver Custom Knives

I have a question for the Montana Boys. How the hell do you crawl in the snow. I lived in Whitehall for 2 years , and from about nov 1st to march it was colder than a witches *^$( and snow , lots of snow. I was noticing that you all have posted your winter comp series event schedule , how do you deal with the weather. I dont mind the cold , we would feed cows @ 7am when it was -40 , I can handle the cold , but the snow would be bad to crawl in. And your tires must be hard as a rock.
We are planning our 2009 points series and were thinking of not starting till Feb because of the weather. What a bunch of sissies we are.

Thanks
Dwane
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #14

Default indoor

this coming saturday in butte theres going to be a indoor rock crawling comp and everyone is welcome to show up .... as far as crawling in the snow we have two indoor coures we use
nitronutz@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneO View Post
I have a question for the Montana Boys. How the hell do you crawl in the snow. I lived in Whitehall for 2 years , and from about nov 1st to march it was colder than a witches *^$( and snow , lots of snow. I was noticing that you all have posted your winter comp series event schedule , how do you deal with the weather. I dont mind the cold , we would feed cows @ 7am when it was -40 , I can handle the cold , but the snow would be bad to crawl in. And your tires must be hard as a rock.
We are planning our 2009 points series and were thinking of not starting till Feb because of the weather. What a bunch of sissies we are.

Thanks
Dwane
When it get's crappy outside, we move inside
At our comp this last Sunday here in Kalispell, it was in the low 30's when we started. The previous comp we had a couple weeks ago, it was 18 when we started The weather has been cooperating with us, though. Yesterday was 65 degrees. The only snow around here is up in the high country. Of course Whitehall is a lot different than up here....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Snow is fun.....gotta dry of the rig afterwards...but still fun....
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

yup I gotta Glacier Course at the house now.... feels like Antartica... bring chains or studs
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Jeff, I went out in the back field behind my house and crawled all over the 8' snow drift...that was a blast, I don't have chains like you..but still was a good time. Was even better when my dog built a tunnel and was crawling around that....till it caved in!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Jeff, I went out in the back field behind my house and crawled all over the 8' snow drift...that was a blast, I don't have chains like you..but still was a good time. Was even better when my dog built a tunnel and was crawling around that....till it caved in!!!
I was in great falls last weekend. I didn't have time to look you up so we could crawl but damn you guys were having nice freaking weather down there last weekend.
We got into choteau late friday night then went to GF on saturday. Temps were in the 50's everybody runnin around in t-shirts. It was great.
Then sunday when we headed back north it was all nice and sunny till we got close to East Glacier....then the temp started to drop and the clouds came out. By the time we got back to kalispell it was a foggy and crappy 20 degrees. I didn't take any RC stuff with me because up here we still have 2 feet of snow....even after it melted for 2 weeks. You guys have almost no snow down there. I was kicking myself all weekend for not bringing at least a crawler to run.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

HELL YEAH...There are two of us here in the area...we met last weekend and tore it up....then had to wash the mud off the rig..

welcome anytime. send a e-mail, this site is sooo big, will get lost if its just in a thread.