Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Montana

Notices

Thread: Crawlers in Bozeman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #1

Default Crawlers in Bozeman?

Hey I am new to the Crawler scene and I am moving to Bozeman Montana in early February. Just trying to get a temperature check for crawling in the area. I am not new to RC's but my experience thus far has been all nitro and specifically Revo's. I raced for a couple of season in Texas near Ft. Hood. Still can't drive for crap but it was a whole lot of fun.

Craig,
NVMYRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Bozeman is a very cool crawling place..really good RC shop there and good crawlers.

why are you movin??
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

I am very much looking forward to moving to Bozeman. Do they have a track there for MT racing etc?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I only visit bozo now and again, so I'm not sure if they have a track or not but I know there's a BMX track not but 4 blocks from the hobbs shop which is a lot of fun. Say Hi to Reece and Patrick at Rocky Mountain Hobbies for me
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

There's a group of 4 or 5 in Bozeman, best thing is you're only about 30-45 minutes away from one of the best places to crawl in the state.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

That is awesome. Does anybody know if they do any indoor racing or crawling on any scale? X-mod racing was huge when I was in Hawaii.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #7

Met Patrick this week at the hobby store. Great store and they were super friendly. Can't wait to crawl in Montana.

Craig,
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

Ok, Crawlers in Bozeman. I can see we need to pull some resources together and build an indoor climbing area. Give us something to do during the long, cold winter. I think space is probably our biggest hurdle.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Patrick is a super nice guy and a heck of a crawler, too. Don't see him at any comps, though, since the hobby shop opened.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #10

Truckerbrad, so you in on working on an indoor crawling/racing area? My new house has a huge garage and I am certainly going to do something.

Craig,
Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

Dont forget the MSD Scale nationals in Helena this spring. There are a few of us here in Billings 3 hours away, but no big movement here. have no idea why.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #12

I will see what I can do. I don't even know how far Helena is from Bozeman. I definitely want to attend though. Maybe we can get a few folks together and roadtrip it?

Craig,

PS: Probably going to need a scaler huh?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I live in Missoula, don't get over to Bozeman much. I just think the more indoor options the better for winter comps.

You'll be about 90 miles or so from Helena. Not sure which way you come up from Utah, but there is an awesome crawl spot west of Norris if you came up that way. That's only about 30 minutes or so from Bozeman when the weather gets nice.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #14

I will be coming straight up 15 to Butte and hanging a right. I drove through West Yellowstone this past week and it was one big piece of solid ice. Don't want to do that in my rental truck. I am looking forward to doing some events as the weather warms up. If I have to travel a little so be it. Heck I like wrenching as much as driving. See you out there.

Craig,
Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There's lots of stuff fairly close. Usually comp at Norris, Helena and Butte.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I haven't seen too much with regards to crawling in this area (mostly due to my being insanely busy getting my engineering degree at the local university..), but what I HAVE seen is a small but fast-growing contingent of crawlers, a (at very long last) VERY good hobby store that caters to crawlers, and some very nice, grippy rocks to crawl on and hold comps to the west of here, as well as a huge number of small spots here in town! (I love it here)

MT racing used to be able to be done on two tracks, one being a BMX track and the other a minibike track, both right next to each other.. The minibike track has since been flattened, but there is an ever-growing dirtjump track next to the BMX track for the skilled jumper/ drivers.. What sort of MT do you drive?

I agree with the sentiment of a dedicated indoor course for the crawlers but that always seems to be a tougher thing to do (from what I've seen here on RCC on the indoor build threads)..

You asked about the weather here? More or less very livable (winters range from negatives up to 40 degrees, summers are warm upper 80s to lower 90s, usually) but we do get the infrequent hellacious storms, snow, ice, rain, hail, etc...

TONS to do up here!
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #17

I used to race Revo's. Now keep in mind I was never any good. I usually raced stockers as I couldn't keep the bigger motors on the track. Lack of drive time was my biggest enemy. I am just getting back into RC stuff and I am really impressed with crawlers and how far the sport of RC has progessed since 2005. In thinking about an indoor course I can postulate that space is the biggest problem. My new house has a huge garage and I am going to build something there but my wife is already warning me not to overdo it. Do we ever take our RC hobby too far? Crazy huh?

Craig,
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I live in Bozeman and love to crawl. I got an SCX10 honcho and a Losi MRC. I also have a little rock course in my back alley that is fun. I am going to ask Patrick if he wouldnt mind setting up a little rock course in the hobby shop parking lot. There is room on the side of the building for a mini course. There is always adds in the paper and craigslist for free bricks and rocks around town. If you got room build a course for free!!!
A DOG is offline   Reply With Quote