Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: 6x6 ...... Thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 6x6 ...... Thing

This chassis was on another build i was doing and it just wasnt working out so all that crap went to the scrap pile. Ive always liked the trial trucks and 6x6 rigs but since a Trials Truck IS a competition rig im building this more for performance and less for 100% scale accuracy.

Big thanks to Greg at Nightcrawler Customs for alot of the scaler parts.

Parts so far:
Nightcrawler Customs
-Chassis
-Leaf Springs and upper and lower mounts
-Servo Mounts
-Skid
-Rear Suspension brackets
-Tow Hitch
Three Axial Axles (2 steering, one straight)
Axial Tranny
HH 7t Cobalt Puller
JP Customs Shocks

Ok so where to start... The chassis is a 24inch version of Nightcrawlers scale chassis in 1/4inch thick aluminum.

Its just over 18inch total wheelbase

The front of the chassis has cool scaler look so it needed leaf springs. Ive never built anything with a leaf spring so Greg was a huge help here. He supplied the brackets, shackles, and mounts for the axial axles.

The rear suspension will make this truck really shine on the rocks. Both axles are 4linked. The drop downs from the chassis were originally for a trailer (also from nightcrawler customs) that i chopped and modded a bit to make work. Turned out looking very ''factory''. Im still working out what to do for rear shocks. I was going to do a cool cantilever system where i could winch up the rear axle and increase the ride height but im still trying to work that one out.

Top view

Bottom View

Its grande!

Im still deciding on a few things, 1.9 or 2.2 wheels (im leaning on 1.9 though) and more importantly what body is going to go on it. I wanted a cool trial truck cab but i think it might be too big for a bruder to look right. I found a few places in europe that had amazing cabs for these but with amazing price tags so i dunno, post up if you have a suggestion for the body!

Last edited by Culetto; 09-27-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

what about the pass thru axel ? look good i like the Chassis go 1.9
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch View Post
what about the pass thru axel ? look good i like the Chassis go 1.9
Oh i didnt post anything about the rear drive system. Its not going to get a pass through axle im going to use a Killer T-Case from RC4WD (it needed to be 1:1) mounted between the rear axles just above that lower cross brace to power the rear axles from the front transmission.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i saw it in its current form today, cant wait to see it done, its gonna be a beast!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If i ever have the money to spend one of these would be the body i want. Kinda pricey, about 200 bucks USD

This one is all straight panels now that i look at it. Wonder if i can just make it up out of ABS or Styrene.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post

This one is all straight panels now that i look at it. Wonder if i can just make it up out of ABS or Styrene.

Pigeonfarmboy made one out of styrene:
MAN 8x8

DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Saw this today browsing 6x6 on google images.

A 6x6 rover might be fun, body would be easy and a tube cage to add some bling.

...and a different version
Old 09-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

So the Rover idea is really growing on me. I went hunting for more information on them and found a couple nice photostreams of the construction process. This one really caught my eye, the 6x6 rovers use the same rear axle configuration im already using.

4linked on both axles with a transfer powering the last one.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

ther is a tube 6X6

it was in a compotition in israel that we have evry year
roy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Well my Killer T-Case got her last week so i got the rear suspension and TCase mocked up. Still need to source 2 (or 4) more scx10 wheels and tires for it, they fit the size perfect and being a real beadlocks are more than handy just to avoid having to glue them, not to mention tuning for the weight. I havent gotten it on the scale yet but its pretty beefy with no body, cage or electronics in it.

The shocks are off of my summit with revo springs, i thought they would be too heavy but they are so smooth it works out perfectly.

The delrin braces on the tcase will be cut down on the top and braced against a steel plate that will also tie into the cage, i also might lower it a tad more to line up the drive shafts better but i also want it up out of the way so i havent decided yet.yet.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
RCP CRAWLERS

nice use of the transfer case
this is gonna crawl great
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Official Scale Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Pigeonfarmboy made one out of styrene
Well I started it, but Fletch built it. It's probably one of the easiest bodies to make. As far as there aren't any radius shapes. It's all straight cuts.

The Hafner cabs are badass but it's a shame they don't take paypal or process credit cards. I refuse to wire money overseas. If they took paypal, I'd buy the crewcab U1300 and the Ural cab in a second.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Well I started it, but Fletch built it. It's probably one of the easiest bodies to make. As far as there aren't any radius shapes. It's all straight cuts.

The Hafner cabs are badass but it's a shame they don't take paypal or process credit cards. I refuse to wire money overseas. If they took paypal, I'd buy the crewcab U1300 and the Ural cab in a second.
I thought about making one but in the short term im going to buy something just so i can get it up and running. I want to take it to St George next weekend so i can play after the comp. Might just throw a flatbed and betty cab from another build on it.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Very nice! I am gearing up to start a 6x6 build and I am really liking the use of the t-case for the rear. Hmmmm....
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
RCC Addict

nice start so far !!!
looking good.
did night-crawler do a lengthened chassis 4U or did U stretch it out ??

i did this 1.9 rig on the same chassis

the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORLAC View Post
nice start so far !!!
looking good.

The chassis is one Nightcrawler did. I wouldnt want to try to stretch something like this with my dremel/cordless drill, i would lose a finger or something.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

damb it you guys....stop building these cool rigs...now I have another idea.....

Very sweet indeed.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Well damn, back to the drawing board on the rear suspension, i went to put the driveshafts in it today so i could take it up to Utah this weekend and ...... there is no possible way it will work with the transfer case the way it is now. the drivelines have to be super short and when it compresses they instantly come undone, if i raise the t-case up higher the angles are too extreme for them to turn at all.

Im trying to figure out if i should just move the rear axles further apart (not sure i like the look that would give me) or scrap the whole rear end and change the links and mounting locations to clock the axles more. Either way its not an unbolt and bolt operation so ill be scalerless in st george
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i remember seeing this at crawlapalooza, i was actually suprised how capable it was to drive on the rocks. this has inspired me to build a 6x6 but it will be just a bit bigger. awsome rig man
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORLAC View Post
nice start so far !!!
looking good.

Sorry for the quick hijack, but ZORLAC, where'd you get that body? I'm looking into building a cabover trials truck and that one fits the bill nicely!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote