Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Drunks 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Drunks 6x6 *Now a Tatra 815-7*

Hello, this is something that was inspired by many other 6x6 builds going on here currently. This won't be quite as scale as others, considering my suspension setup. This is on a budget, I really wish I had the $ to get pluggers or flashpoints. I could get hummer rims, or I could just get two more raw steelies and another two rock stompers?

I had lots of axial parts and links laying around, so that is the base. I took a basic SCX10 kit and used the center skid.

I have a Bruder MAN cab coming in the mail, should be here soon. Where the build goes from here I am not totally sure. I could just build a box on the back, and use it to store the extra batts and tools I need when I go out to run my other trucks. Or I could. . . ?

As far as the powerplant goes, its running a brushless outrunner, it weighs 4oz, and is 650KV. Powered by a sidewinder and 3s. It doesn't cog with the 14t pinion unless its really in a bind.

The frame is steel angle, and steel bar stock. Tubing is 3/8th brake line. It is hefty, but it has a low CG due to the shocks mounting so high on the chassy. Its 21.5" long. This was brazed using my oxy acetylene torch.

It is unique. Electronics are just mounted there temp. Wanted to get a rundown on it to see if it needs any changes.

A shot of it next to my Blazer.

I am really open to suggestions as to where to take the build from here, but do keep in mind it will use a Bruder MAN cab.

Thanks!

Drunk

Last edited by DrunkDriver; 06-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Id say it looks pretty good as it is. Im thinking if you made it into some sort of Euro 6x6 service/utility truck that not only has extra parts and batts as you said but maby a winch or two for recovery situations would be awesome. And after that just wheel the heck out of it

Last edited by gottorque; 02-27-2010 at 08:08 PM.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very cool!

Articulation must be great with the four link set-up your running. Should be a blast to wheel when it's al done!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Cool build, is that a Hobby king radio? if so how are they?
87burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It is fun to wheel, the flex isn't all that great, but goes over everything I point it at. I am really amazed at how well it sticks to the ground. It must weigh at least 10lbs already and there is a lot of stuff to add.

Yes, its a hobby king radio, made by fly sky. It works great, and in one of the pic's you can see the two pots I added to give it EPA's. Works great, now it performs everything my DX2 does, at 1/3 the price. $35 shipped to my door from hobbypartz.com. I can't get a AM blazer at the LHS for that.

Thanks for the comments!

Drunk
Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Found it! Page after page of google images. . . This is what I want to go for:

This one has a rather short back on it, most of the dakar trucks have a box that protrudes pretty far out past the rear axle. Simple, and it will allow me to store my goodies.

Ya?

Drunk
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #7

those trucks are sick do they make a body like that or are your going to make one?
dirtjumpingjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a cool project! Not cutting on your work , but I would place the rear axles closer together so it looks more like the 1:1..
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
It is fun to wheel, the flex isn't all that great, but goes over everything I point it at. I am really amazed at how well it sticks to the ground. It must weigh at least 10lbs already and there is a lot of stuff to add.

Yes, its a hobby king radio, made by fly sky. It works great, and in one of the pic's you can see the two pots I added to give it EPA's. Works great, now it performs everything my DX2 does, at 1/3 the price. $35 shipped to my door from hobbypartz.com. I can't get a AM blazer at the LHS for that.

Thanks for the comments!

Drunk
Thanks for the review on that. I've been nervous about ordering one and its been a toss up between the traxxas 2.4ghz upgrade for 85 bucks or that hobby king one. What are pots and epas? lol
87burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Update:

I got my bruder cab, and I just want to say thanks to the_ghetto_rig for getting that out to me!

It fit nice and snug on the chassis, and I fabbed up a bumper to protect it aswell. This is my first hard body and I know I'm going to beat on this truck, so it needs the protection.

I got plenty of styrene to start on the box.

I will shorten the rear to rear wheelbase by about a half inch once I get a 4 link mount made up.

I have also decided to get a tow setup made for this so I can tow the honcho behind it. That way I can make it carry the tools and the truck

I did take it up the hill when it was sunny out, gave it a good two hours on the rocks. I was blown away by the performance!

I really like the Brushless out runner, it was impossible to slow down on steep climbs.

Drunk
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That thing rocks. Like the idea of a Dakar race truck build! Can't wait to see this tow system in place and working. Should be sweet. Performance looks great going on the video. whats the speed like?
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

very nice, keep the vids&pics coming.... subscribed...
pig bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I was working on the box today, and got pretty far, still needs another 6 hours to finish it up.

I need to braze the rear bumper on before I make the tow system. It needs to be bolt on/off.

This thing is slow ATM. But I have a sidewinder on the way, so I can throw in either a faster brushless motor or a 35t brushed motor in there for speed. The outrunner is only 650kv, so at max throttle I only get about a slow walk.

I think I will have it 95% finished by this weekend if nothing comes up.

Drunk
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Bravo. Very nice!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Update:

Got the box pretty close to finished. Need to go to the LHS and pick up some more styrene stock for bracing. Then some paint!

I got the frame completed and painted, which took a lot of sanding and grinding. Also added a rear bumper, which is just square stock.

I made a nice place for my electronics and battery.

The rear compartment for tools and extra parts and batteries.

The front part of the top fits snug and simply 'snaps' in.

Its got some flex to it.

I need to work on the body, adding filler and sanding, then paint. The cab also needs work, like filling in the hole on the top where something used to be. . . Mirrors and a front windshield are also in the list. Rear wheel wells will come soon.

More to come tomorrow.

Drunk
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ok, 95% done. It runs, but I need some upgrades from where its at now. The 645MG doesn't cut it for steering, the plastic arm flexs under stress. I put a old 55t integy in it, but I want more power.

It needs a windsheild and some mirrors, plus a bunch of decals to give it some character.

Overall I am very happy with it! I built the whole damn thing and it was time consuming but very rewarding.

Pics:

Drunk
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
Update:

I got my bruder cab, and I just want to say thanks to the_ghetto_rig for getting that out to me!

It fit nice and snug on the chassis, and I fabbed up a bumper to protect it aswell. This is my first hard body and I know I'm going to beat on this truck, so it needs the protection.

Drunk
Nice Truck Dude!
Were did you get that Truck body? Itīs1/10?
Matias del Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

thats flippin insane. how did you do the middle axle?
ryandeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yea that's what I'm wondering also, I'm really wanting to do a 6x6 based on Axial axels like you did. Just wondering about getting everything to rotate forwards and how the links are set up.
Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #20

Looks very good
FG-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote