Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: MAZ 543 8x8 multi-axle build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default MAZ 543 8x8 multi-axle build

Greetings comrades

I haven't done a build in a while, and have always wanted a multi-axled rig and suddenly found myself with a bunch of axles, trannies and other miscellaneous needed parts to do one. Started looking around the net for inspiration and came across the MAZ trucks, originally built for the Russian military:

Some more pics here:

http://www.oldrussiancars.com/archives/tag/8x8/page/2

Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAZ-7310

Essentially, built in the 1960s developed by the Minsk Auto Plant for the Russian military. It was used primarily as a heavy duty transporter, and as such came in a number of different configurations (mobile Scud missile launcher, flatbed, crane, etc.). The most distinctive part of the vehicle is the twin split cab up front, which really caught my eye. The MAZ was probably most famous (infamous) for the Scud missile configuration which was used by the Russians but also in Iraq.

Surprisingly, when I've taken a look on the interwebs, I haven't seen any rc build threads, although there could be some on an obscure Ukrainian web site somewhere Dragon does have a static model of the MAZ 543 which I may just have to buy to get a better idea of some of the additional details.

As for the build, using Axial axles and tranny with Tamiya hummer rims and RC4WD flashpoints. Electronics will be a mix of what I have lying around. The rest will be pretty much all scratch made components as most multi-axles builds are, so don't expect daily progress updates

A big thanks to Sloppy for answering a lot of my questions I've had on multi-axles builds to date. Also borrowed several ideas from VForce's HEMTT build. This should be interesting
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
The most distinctive part of the vehicle is the twin split cab up front, which really caught my eye. The MAZ was probably most famous (infamous) for the Scud missile configuration
Driver 1: I'm not sitting in front of zee missile.
Driver 2: Well I'm not sitting in front of zee missile, either.

The split cab was born.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so where I stand now. I've basically got it up to roller status. The leaf spring packs were made from fish tape I picked up at Home Depot (thanks again for the tip Sloppy!)

Fish tape is typically used for running wires under carpet or behind drywall. $15 for 25 feet of it. I've used about 10 feet of it for making the leaf spring packs!

All of the parts are more or less rough cut, so excuse the ghetto zap strap set-up. My plan is to get everything roughed out, including the cab, for the summer, figuring out needed modifications, and then drawing all the metal plates, etc. in CAD and sending to my laser cutter to do up for me. The fall/winter will be used to build a final detailed out cab. At least, that's the plan !

In the meantime, some pics of where it stands as of today:

Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Driver 1: I'm not sitting in front of zee missile.
Driver 2: Well I'm not sitting in front of zee missile, either.

The split cab was born.
Good one!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Man those things are ugly.

Looks like it will be a great platform to model.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Rehashing the Cold War huh Chris? Looks you got a pretty substantial start on this build so far.

How are you gonna find one of those Russian fur hats for the driver?
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

This thing is going to be WICKED cool. Good luck, hope all goes well with the build. will subscribed.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the history lesson Chris. Looks wicked, I can't wait to see you start on the body.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

nice i will be watching
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I forgot to ask, whats the thickness of the metal you used for the upper link mount? I like how it flows with the housing.

Oh yeah, dibbs!
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

nice

guessing you dont have the body yet?
Liighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Wow, thats a major departure from your normal build style. I love it,and cant wait to see where you go with it...You can always incorporate a "around the corner" swoopy tube(southern style),skud launcher on it
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Very nice concept but man.....that thing is hideous!
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso787 View Post
even more the reason to build it!
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Man those things are ugly.

Looks like it will be a great platform to model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso787 View Post
Is not hideous, is beautiful, like Russian beauty contest winner:

Name:  russian.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  28.5 KB

Vodka helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Rehashing the Cold War huh Chris? Looks you got a pretty substantial start on this build so far.

How are you gonna find one of those Russian fur hats for the driver?
I don't think Canada was involved in the Cold War, so I'm starting a new one As for the fur hat, I ran over a gopher today while out on the road. I figure if I do that again, I'll grab the poor bastard, skin him, tan the hide and hand sew a scale fur hat. Not too much work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
This thing is going to be WICKED cool. Good luck, hope all goes well with the build. will subscribed.
Thanks. I hope it goes well too! It's a learning process for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Thanks for the history lesson Chris. Looks wicked, I can't wait to see you start on the body.
Can't wait to get started on the body, as that'll mean I'm done the drivetrain and electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
nice i will be watching
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
I forgot to ask, whats the thickness of the metal you used for the upper link mount? I like how it flows with the housing.

Oh yeah, dibbs!
Not sure on the thickness. It's not super thick sheet metal. I was able to bend it up using a combination of my brake and vice. It ends up being quite strong once bolted down though. I'm happy with the trusses, they look much more military like as compared to other trusses I've made for regular 4x4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liighthead View Post
nice

guessing you dont have the body yet?
Nope, haven't started on it yet. Soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Wow, thats a major departure from your normal build style. I love it,and cant wait to see where you go with it...You can always incorporate a "around the corner" swoopy tube(southern style),skud launcher on it
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not so sure heat and styrene are a good combination It's definitely different from my normal style for sure. I'm basically done with all the brazing at this point, and that never happens with my builds !
Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Ok, now a progress update . These multi-axled rigs take a long time to make any progress! Almost have it to running status, just need the steering links sorted out. Some pics:

Picked up a small sheet of styrene ! 4' x 8' sheet, should hold me for a while. Paid about $34 for the sheet from an industrial plastics company. Don't go to the hobby store if you're just getting plain styrene!

Set-up the driveline. Decided since I had extra Axial trannies, to convert one to a t-case.

Made a cradle for the t-case. It's still sitting a little high, driveline angle isn't great. The final version I'll probably drop it down another 1/2" or so.

For steering, I decided to go with a dual servo set-up connected to a y-connector to the steering channel. The second axle will have the steering link mounted lower down on the servo horn than the first. This should allow for less proportional throw than the first axle and avoid any skid steering.

The servo on the second axle may touch the driveline between the second axle and t-case. If that's the case, I'll have to move the servo to the outside of the frame instead:

Overall shot:

Thought people might not know how to make up an Axial t-case so I posted up a couple of pics. It's pretty darn simple though.

First pic, is a stock transmission. You need to remove the motor plate, spur gear, spacers and any other washers and locknuts from that side.

You'll want to replace the stock screws with shorter ones. Before doing so, take the tranny apart completely and remove the top shaft (I used a non-slipper version). Chuck it up in your vice and cut off the threaded end and a bit of the shaft with a Dremel cutoff tool or hacksaw (best to measure before doing this to make sure you don't cut off too much!). Sand off any burrs, reassemble the tranny using shorter screws, and you have your t-case done.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

ill be watching
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Oh Canada, oh canada. I beg to differ there slugger...

Canada played a middle power, and an occasionally important, role in the Cold War. Throughout the US/Soviet rivalry, Canada was normally on the side of the United States. However opposition to the Vietnam War and Canada's relationship with China and Cuba, along with the Prime Ministership of Pierre Trudeau often had Canada at odds with its southern neighbors.

As for the gopher, don't you think a sweet beaver pelt would be better? Unless gophers are all you got

Slow progress or not, this build is gonna be awesome.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 FORD BRONCO View Post
ill be watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.V View Post
I gone follow this! AWESOME THING!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
Oh Canada, oh canada. I beg to differ there slugger...

Canada played a middle power, and an occasionally important, role in the Cold War. Throughout the US/Soviet rivalry, Canada was normally on the side of the United States. However opposition to the Vietnam War and Canada's relationship with China and Cuba, along with the Prime Ministership of Pierre Trudeau often had Canada at odds with its southern neighbors.

As for the gopher, don't you think a sweet beaver pelt would be better? Unless gophers are all you got

Slow progress or not, this build is gonna be awesome.
Absolutely right my friend. I totally forgot about the DEW line along the Arctic coast which let Canada and the US know when the commies were attacking Now all we have are a bunch of pcb contaminated sites. You can still drive into some smaller rural towns and cities that proudly display signs saying they are a nuclear weapons free zone.

Beaver fur would be too coarse at this scale, plus you need a license to shoot or trap them. You can freely run over gophers and nobody will give a second thought to it
Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

uniqe looking truck I'm gonna enjoy watching this!
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote