Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D

Hi,
just to share a build that had been going on for the past few weeks...

this is my first time scratch building and making a body out of styrene..

thanks for looking.

comments and criticisms are welcomed.

first few posts will be copied from the build thread that i've posted in another forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------
chose the AM General M923 5 tonne 6x6 truck...
the actual truck is more than 7metres long with around 4 metres wheelbase...

it's gonna be BIGGGGGG....
first timer with styrene... starting with zero experience...
i'm a newbie!

this should be taking me quite some time to finish up....

here it goes...

Sized up the truck on the computer

Here's a pic with a soldier standing beside the truck.... it is one big truck!

The rest are the cutting of the styrene for the body... bending the fender flares, layering the styrene for sanding and shaping of the bonnet...

Used 2.5mm thick styrene for all the stuffs in the photos...
It's real easy to cut in straight lines... just made 2 - 3 cuts and can bend and break the styrene nice and straight...

had putty and primed the bonnet once... still need to sand again and putty again... still lots to be done... due to some "mis-cue" on the dremel when sanding the grooves...

the cab is a little too long... will also need to trim it shorter... and make the grooves for the door... still thinking whether to cut and hinge the door... maybe not ba... since it's gonna be an open top... might custom the tube top and add a soft top like the M923 soft top model... see how it goes...

thanks for viewing!

boolean21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D

patched up the bonnet... still far from perfect... but at least slightly smoother...
that should be it already...

primed the bonnet....

will try to shorten the cab next when i have time...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D

some of the minor works updates... didn't have much time to do stuffs... but at least managed to get some minor stuffs done...

Dremel-ed off the cab and shortened it by around 2cm...

Joined back the back panel....

Joined the headlight panel to the light recess area... will mount up the headlight lenses after spraying...

Also, added some square styrene tubing to the windscreen frame to add some thickness to it...

Marked out the protruding stripes on the side of the front cab and added a layer of 1mm thick styrene....

now priming the cab... will take a photo of it later when it is dry...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Primed the cab... need some sanding and putty-ing and prime again...
just to try to mask out the more obvious holes and flaws... hopefully...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here are some photos of it using the honcho as a size comparison...

The M923 really has some HUGE fenders... making the wheels look real small...

The side steps and fuel tank are making the truck's ground clearance low... to make things worst, it has a long long wheel base... so now thinking whether to make the side steps and fuel tanks removable so that it can adapt to terrain as well as look scale when needed...

The cab still looks a tad long compared to the actual truck but don't think i wanna shorten it further... it would be rather cramped for the wrestlers...

here's a shot of the M923 side view...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

found a photo of the m923 beside a pickup truck....

wanted to do a flip open hood like the actual truck... but too much work... :P
so did a removable hood instead....

more pics

Maybe should do a civilian one instead of a military truck?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Placed the M923 cab on the unimog chassis to see and take some physical measurements for the new chassis to "double-confirm" that the drawing dimensions are ok...

have to trim off the fenders shorter... :S
purposely extended the fenders to make sure the crawler wheels are within the fenders... end up extended too much!

on "paper" the left side shows the extension.... seems like my extension too kiasu....

placed on unimog chassis...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Marked the cut lines....

Dremel off the fenders.... now left with a last piece of cutting disc....
where to buy the cutting disc ah? can the Hobbyking rotary tool use the cutting disc for dremel?

some photos after the CUT....

Sanded smooth.... now should look better... i hope...
lesson learnt... dont be too kiasu and leave too much allowance... hahahaa...

took some pics with the "driver" of the m923 to compare with the soldier pic... this guy is very tall compared to my other drivers... should have taken a photo with a more average height wrestler...

this is how the cab looks now....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

got a little time to spare....
so started to work on the chassis rails....

using 2 strips of 80cm long, 1inch x 1inch, 3mm thick angle bracket...
need to cut out a groove to clear the venom creeper transmission case...

here's some photos.

lazy to set up the power drill, so tried using the IKEA power screw driver to drill the holes.... after 1 hole... seems like the power screw driver was burnt...

opened up the power screw driver to take a look at the motor and gear reduction unit...

metal gears in the GRU, and running a 380 motor... will keep this spoilt driver and maybe use as a GRU for future builds...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Dismantled my Unimog U300 transmission and axles from the chassis....

Mounted the transmission on the new chassis rails...

A mock up of the ride height and ground clearance...
I'm too greedy..... want to get a high clearance in the centre for more flexibility...
cos this chassis is planned to be used for a few different bodies!

clearance from the bottom of the chassis rails to the ground is around 11.5cm...
seems like i will be cutting away the bottom part of the fenders as they will be the first to get in the way when crawling over obstacles...

a result of my greedy-ness... drive angles will be too steep if the wheels drop to low in holes, etc.... so to prevent this... i will be adding some travel limiters to limit the axle down travel to prevent stressing the transmission and drive shaft due to the steep angle....

A top view of the transmission in the cab... the advantage of big rigs is the great amount of space... still spacious to put some seats and simple interiors...

Now... need to find time to mount the rear links and shocks to complete the roller....
as well as adding a drive shaft extension due to the long long wheelbase... around 40cm or so....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Finally, found some time today to mount up the middle axle and the rear axle... now it's a roller!

extended the drive shaft from the transmission to the middle axle due to the long long wheelbase....

connected up the esc, rx, batts and did a run... then adjusted the middle axle drive shaft extension angle...

that's all for now...
here are some pics...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

managed to find some time to work on the 6x6....

made the body posts using 4mm threaded rod and mounted the front of the body.
the cab mount is still incomplete, only mounted the front, the back of the cab will KIV and see how to mount it as i progress along...

Some photos with the cab mounted and the bed...

made the side boxes using styrene... still need to "mount" it up...

took a M4 bolt and will be using it as the spare tyre mount...

mounted the bed to the frame.... short of one long bolt.... need to top up more bolts and nuts soon....

this is the material and size of the bed... got the wood from Daiso... had previously measured and cut the bed out of styrene when i cut the styrene for the cab...

last week when i went looking for goodies at Daiso, saw these wood pieces and bought 2pcs to see what they can be used for... the wood turn out to be exactly the same size as the styrene i cut previously!

1piece used for the bed, the 2nd piece, used for making the left, right and rear sides of the bed...

some photos of the bed sides...

more bed sides photos with the bed...

next up will be going to get some hinges for the bed sides and rear side of the bed....
the front of the bed will be made with styrene...

till the next midnight oil burning session....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

mounted the ripsaws to do some photo comparison...
should be going ahead with ripsaws for the M923.... and keep the super swampers for my wraith...

bought the hinges for the bed... will keep these aside for the time being...

mounted the ripsaws on the truck...

comparison between the ripsaw and the creeper tyres...
ripsaw - 5.5" tall
creeper - around 5" tall

more photos....

Tyre size comparison photo...

A comparison between the M923 on creeper tyres and on the ripsaws....

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

my new grill!!... inspired by LaneboysRC... the valueshop pencil holder...
my grill is bigger... so i bought the round pencil holder, cut up the top and bottom and i have a long piece of wire mesh... the mesh size is nice!

front grill now looks nicer. thanks Laneboysrc..

primed the bed and the 3 bed sides... the wood seems to absorb all the paint.... took me 1+ can of nippon pylox flat white.... sprayed, sanded a little and sprayed again...

made the base plate for the 2 side boxes... and mock up the position...

fabbed some "S-bracket" to mount the side boxes... the idea is to let it "wobble" when the truck is moving... so styrene should do the job instead of 3mm aluminium bracket... hope the styrene will hold up well...

mounted the side boxes up...

the bed, when the 3 bed sides flips open... can fit my honcho nicely...
this truck is small... compared to some one's secret project...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

more updates...

dismantled the chassis for spraying...

found an old bumper base that i made for my landy... width is just nice for the base for m923 front bumper...

made a simple dash panel, will print some sticker for the dials, etc...

took a spare steering wheel from the wraith spare parts lot and mocked up the driver... still got some more work to do on the interior and seats...

collect another set of 4 ripsaw tires today... now the tires are complete...
the creeper foams are still nice and clean... as expected, no water and mud will get into the beadlock wheels...

assembled the body and bed on the blackened chassis... didn't mount the axles and stuffs first cos i still need to blacken the links....

till the next midnight oil session....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

some updates...

sleeved the links with 8mm heat shrink... i think can use 7mm heat shrinks too...
photo is before heat shrinking...

found some "materials" to make some dials on the dash....

and after the dremel-ing.... became these...

touched up the dials and "installed" them on the dash....

the M923 has some "handles" all around the truck... one handle on the bonnet, one handle on each side near the door, and one handle on the passenger side dash board...

i made some out of brass rods and brass strip...
after cutting and bending....

and after some soldering... the handles are done...

mounted up the axles back onto the chassis...

primed the handles with grey primer, will be priming the cab and bed again with the grey primer before the final coat of paint....

some photos of the handles mocked up on the different positions...

thats all for today's midnight oil....
need to top up some oil liao...
Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Sweet build. Can't wait to see it finished
CoreyHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelles6571 View Post
Sweet build. Can't wait to see it finished
thanks bro.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

some updates...

made the bench seats and back rest today... seats and back rests are made out of foam...

wrapped the seats in some material from a pair of army green socks... :P

mocked up the seats in the cab to see how it goes...

the driver poses for a shot....

and the can fits 1 driver + 2 passengers...

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Fan of wheelspeed

good job on this man. You've got some skills bub.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote

Boolean21's 1/10 M923 - 5 ton truck - Newbie' try on a scratch build body... :D - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mack m123a1c 10 ton 6x6 army truck.......... ctrwannabe Multi Axle Rigs 94 10-16-2015 11:52 AM
Starting with a new truck or building from scratch? BackToThePast Redcat Crawlers 6 01-11-2012 06:13 PM
Ton of questions for rc rock crawler newbie 06tj Newbie General 5 01-26-2011 08:46 PM
The Evolution Of My HL in to a jeep...with a new body build from scratch... Dakillswitch 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 09-06-2010 07:42 AM
Newbie crawler wanting to build a TLT based truck! peterod Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 07-11-2007 02:30 PM