Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: It's Not a Tank! The Hauler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default It's Not a Tank! The Hauler

Ok it might be a tank, but it does have multiple axles... kinda

Jason picked this up years ago at a swap meet and I have wanted it since. Fast forward and 666 got it and I bugged and pleaded with him until it was mine yesterday.

You will have to excuse the crappy photos, but as you will see it won't exactly fit in my scale garage.

It is sitting next to my 12.25" wheelbase 1.9 scale rig.

With the top off.

And twin 550 motors in the front.

And the plan:

I am going to seal up the interior to be water tight and use the inside as radio, battery and parts storage for going to events. On the top will be a working winch with a full flat deck to transport 3 or 4 rigs to events. Scale details will be coming after I get the top deck started. After it is all done I will attempt some river crossings.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #2

Default Re: It's Not a Tank! The Hauler

These things are notorious for cracking at the rear of the drive sprocket (the round part where the driveshaft enters). It seems to be the weakest point on the drive train. Using a metal hose clamp around the round plastic area keeps it together very well.
sassgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice! any idea on brand?
1/6 ultimate soldier?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassgrunt View Post
These things are notorious for cracking at the rear of the drive sprocket (the round part where the driveshaft enters). It seems to be the weakest point on the drive train. Using a metal hose clamp around the round plastic area keeps it together very well.
Even with the 20 pound weight drop I did by loosing the battery?

Do you happen to have any photos of the mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
nice! any idea on brand?
1/6 ultimate soldier?
21st Century Toys, dated 2000.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i have a 1/9 abrams ,I think it has althread from one side to the other and a nut on the inside and one on the outside of the hull.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

its funny that you posted this. i just pick one of these up for free. i will be watching. i have no idea what to do with it.

itsjust me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #7

Nice. It looks like it is in really good shape. I am making this up as I go along, but I hope it helps.

I had a little time today so I messed with this a little.

I glued the bottom plates in place and cut out the boxes from inside the chassis, still a little refining to do though.

Then I cut the top out to use just the front and sides and started to make a deck for rigs to sit on.

Then I took the hatch that was on the top deck in the back and moved it to the front. This is where my ESCs, motors, batteries and receiver for powering the tank will be.

Then I started to make a little cockpit for a driver in the front. I will play with this a little more as the build progresses.

After I built the deck I cut out the center and made a hatch. Haven't decided it I will hinge it or not yet. But plenty of space inside for a transmitter and whatever else I will need.

And just for reference how much I can fit on top. The styrene that is on now is just the first layer, either some metal grating material or more styrene is going to go on top of this layer. I am also going to put a extension on the back at an angle so there will be a little more room and it will be easier to mount the ramps.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Those are some sweet graphics on that honcho
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Going to follow this one - nice work so far
CraZySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #10

Thanks and thats the little ones Honcho.

I tried to work on some other projects in the garage today, but I lasted 10 minutes before I was freezing. So I worked on this again in the living room/little basement shop.

I covered the top in some metal I had sitting around. This stuff is made to cover roof gutters, but seemed to work for this purpose.

I also made an extension for the top deck with a bend in the back, this one is now 41" long with the ramp down and 34" long with the ramp up. I will trim the metal hanging off the bottom tomorrow, hopefully it won't be so cold.

Then I picked up some Dubro 1/4 scale airplane hinges (No.257) for the folding ramp and the top deck hatch.

The ramp is springy and wants to go down all the time, it just happened to work out this way, I was going to do this anyway so bonus. To keep it up there will be a winch hook attached to it.

The rear extension is braced a lot, I am going to box it in and then it should be rock solid. Hopefully I can find some time to wire the electronics in the morning and take this for a little test drive in the snow. After that cover the ramp in metal, figure out some scale details to add, slap some paint on and go play.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice. will two 1.9 rigs fit on deck with the new extention?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
nice. will two 1.9 rigs fit on deck with the new extention?
Yes sir. It will actually hold four 1.9 scalers now.

I took it for a test drive in the back yard today, pretty fun, but I have not quite figured out how to mix the channels yet. So right now the right track is on the wheel and the left track is on the trigger.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I want to know what you find out for mixing channels, please! I have been thinking of buying a servo mixer, like for airplane v-tails, and using that to run two modified servos in a small tracked vehicle, but you might be able to do the same but with two ESCs instead! I would LOVE to know your result!!

DieCastoms (Michael)
DieCastoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Why not use a cheap stick radio with each stick controlling a track?
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Nice. It looks like it is in really good shape. I am making this up as I go along, but I hope it helps.

I had a little time today so I messed with this a little.

I glued the bottom plates in place and cut out the boxes from inside the chassis, still a little refining to do though.

Then I cut the top out to use just the front and sides and started to make a deck for rigs to sit on.

Then I took the hatch that was on the top deck in the back and moved it to the front. This is where my ESCs, motors, batteries and receiver for powering the tank will be.

Then I started to make a little cockpit for a driver in the front. I will play with this a little more as the build progresses.

After I built the deck I cut out the center and made a hatch. Haven't decided it I will hinge it or not yet. But plenty of space inside for a transmitter and whatever else I will need.

And just for reference how much I can fit on top. The styrene that is on now is just the first layer, either some metal grating material or more styrene is going to go on top of this layer. I am also going to put a extension on the back at an angle so there will be a little more room and it will be easier to mount the ramps.
Freakin' creative build! Love the Star Wars poster in the background too !
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
Because I finally have a radio that will let me store models and run more than one (however it doesn't do any mixing, at all). I want to build some simple little tracked bot using two modified servos for motors. I've done this before, but when I did, I HAD a stick radio ..

I *THINK* the VTail mixer will work, perfectly, but am not SURE of this, and do not have the resources to find out, at the moment (spare Rx, servos to modify, mixer, etc.) I am hoping it will be a summer project along side my Honcho (which is now a Subaru Impreza WRX).
DieCastoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #17
T_A

Insane!
any chance to take a picture of it near something like a person or a chair so we can get the feel of the scale of this thing (hard to imaging from just other crawlers)
T_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Yes sir. It will actually hold four 1.9 scalers now.

I took it for a test drive in the back yard today, pretty fun, but I have not quite figured out how to mix the channels yet. So right now the right track is on the wheel and the left track is on the trigger.
this is what is in mine.

Sabertooth Dual 25A 6V-24V Regenerative Motor Driver - RobotShop
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCastoms View Post
I want to know what you find out for mixing channels, please! I have been thinking of buying a servo mixer, like for airplane v-tails, and using that to run two modified servos in a small tracked vehicle, but you might be able to do the same but with two ESCs instead! I would LOVE to know your result!!

DieCastoms (Michael)
I am 99% sure a V-tail mixer will get the job done easily, but I am still holding out to see if the 4PL is capable of doing the job all by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
I don't want to carry around another radio, or buy one for that matter just for this. I can get this to work on a pistol grip its just taking a bit of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Freakin' creative build! Love the Star Wars poster in the background too !
Thanks! I need to get the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCastoms View Post
Because I finally have a radio that will let me store models and run more than one (however it doesn't do any mixing, at all). I want to build some simple little tracked bot using two modified servos for motors. I've done this before, but when I did, I HAD a stick radio ..

I *THINK* the VTail mixer will work, perfectly, but am not SURE of this, and do not have the resources to find out, at the moment (spare Rx, servos to modify, mixer, etc.) I am hoping it will be a summer project along side my Honcho (which is now a Subaru Impreza WRX).
I and my local hobby shop are pretty sure a V-tail mixer will work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
Insane!
any chance to take a picture of it near something like a person or a chair so we can get the feel of the scale of this thing (hard to imaging from just other crawlers)
I wil try to do that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsimi View Post
Is that a mixer? I talked to a local hobby shop and they said they can get me a V-tail mixer for about 20.00. Them and I are pretty sure a V-tail mixer will do the job, but I am still trying to figure out mixing on the radio without it.

After the test drive last week I had one of the cogs stop spinning, I took it apart and found that the gear box was fine. But the previous owner of this (7 years ago) stripped the hex area in the cog and tried to fix it with rubber glue. So I pulled it apart drilled a whole through the shaft and hex and put a pin through it, notched the cog adapter for the pin and slapped it back together. Seems pretty solid now. Took me a couple hours to get it done, but it should be plenty strong. Hopefully I don't have to do this to the other side as it was kind of a PITA.

I will try to get some more photos of this soon!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

It'll be ready sunday, right?
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote

It's Not a Tank! The Hauler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Tank Video- Heng Long 3818-1 German Tiger 1 Tank with Clark Model TK 22 sound unit boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 11-18-2013 09:56 AM
NN Hauler TheHeadHunter Tamiya Clod Buster 11 02-17-2009 07:07 AM
Can a 10lb CO2 tank be turned into a Nitrous tank? LumTheMad Chit Chat 24 12-01-2008 07:10 AM
Hauler AIPOHAKU General Scale Talk 9 08-20-2006 01:48 PM