Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tatra 815-7 8x8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tatra 815-7 8x8

Been thinking about this for a while now and finally got things going.

First off: What is a Tatra 815-7?

I am using Axial axles, a summit 2 speed transmission with a emaxx motor plate, two 35t motors, a killer tranfercase, OEM steel beadlocks and Rock stompers.

The rear is 4-linked, while the front is still 3-link. I was able to use the links from the honcho I recently parted out.

I still have a lot to do, but I think I have enough to start a thread about it, heck, most people start there threads with a lot less. . .

The inside wheel base is only 10", that should keep it from getting high centered. This is actually a pretty short 8x8. The chassis is only 26 inches, but the truck will be closer to 27-28in once I braze up some bumpers.

Pics:

I have 8 traxxas big bores, size long, which are about 80mm's eye to eye.

A picture with my 6x6 Tatra in the background. The 8x8 will have the same cab, but something different for a box/bed.

Motors/trans/Tcase

Zack

Last edited by DrunkDriver; 06-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks good cant wait to see it all come together!
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Update:

I finished the chassis, and got everything put together. Drivelines are in, shifting servo installed, and suspension is working smoothly.

There was a minor problem with the wheels I got, with the pin slot being machined too deep/or the hub being too thick. I fixed it with a little help from some other members.

I did mount all the electronics on some styrene and got everything setup and working. Drove it around the yard and dialed everything in.

Next up is the body, which I will start on here this weekend.

Progress is progress. . .

Zack
Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Update:

Spent some time working on this today, and constructed a cab. I used .060 styrene sheet. I have lots of .080 for the box. I will add details and a small interior too the cab tomorrow and make a front bumper too.

Zack
Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Late night update:

Worked on the bumper today, came up with something sturdy. Also did some detailing on the cab. Then I went back out there tonight after she went to bed and got a good start on the engine box.

I am not a professional at doing these bodies like some others, but I am liking this one a lot! This is not a super scale build, somethings will be different, but I will be beating on this truck hard.

Zack
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had some time to work on this last night and today. I still have tons of work to do, but I managed to make good progress.

My batteries came in yesterday from HK. It only took 3 weeks. I made a parallel battery harness for the two Flightmax 5000mah 3s lipos. I also got a nice volt/temp meter so I can monitor how much battery power I have at a glance. Nothing like driving a truck with 10,000 mah of battery for some long hikes in the Sierra Nevada.

I would like to find some really fine/small size screen/mesh for the side of the motor compartment. I have some old door screen in there for now.

The electronics are mounted in the box, and the box will be covered with a canvas top. I still have tons of styrene strips and square rod to attach for detail on the bed/box.

I also need to fabricate two fuel tanks and start on installing the lights.

I stopped where I'm at because I ran out of Tenax7.

Zack
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That truck will look just amazing.... lucky you that can make such a marvel.... congratulations.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

awesome man. good progress too.
one question, do the front axles steer at the same rate?
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yes, they are hooked up with a Y-harness. I am using two Hitec 645mgs, with the same servo horn, and they center perfectly. I am using my specktrum DX3.0 control everything.

I have lots of free time right now, as I am a contractor and we just finished our last job. We have something coming up in a few weeks, so this is the best time to get this done.

Thanks

Zack
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looks cool. Are all 4 axles powered? and how? I dont see that many driveshafts.
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
Looks cool. Are all 4 axles powered? and how? I dont see that many driveshafts.
YES! I assure you they are all there, maybe not visible in the photos. All four axles are powered, and the front two steer.

I have a summit trans to a T-case, that sends power to both the front and rear. Both of the center axles have input and outdrives, then I flipped the rear most and front most axles 180* and viola!

Update:

I got all the remaining things I needed to finish this thing, including paint! I choose Tamiya color Olive Drab #2.

I made some holes for the front head lights, which are from the honcho kit. Also got the bed detailed and nearly done. I am just adding details as I go along and see the need/opportunity for them.

What it still needs:

Mirrors
Fuel Tanks
Rear Bumper
Center rack that mounts spare and tools/chains

The supports don't look straight in this picture due to the angle I took it at, but they are. . .

Zack
Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Update:

I laid some paint down today! Didn't have quite enough for the entire box, but the cab and motor compartment are done.

Still have some things to complete.

I pretty much built the entire truck body with only the tools shown here, you can also see the fuel tanks.

Zack
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

can you give a close up of the rear drive axles? I'd like to see how you mounted the Axial 4 link trusses. The drive axles on my 6x6 are configured just like yours, so I'm curious how you pulled it off!

I love the rig. I wasn't too sure about the chassis at first, but now it all comes together when the body got mounted. I can get a sense of how big it is by the LiPos mounted in the cargo box. They are the same LiPo I used in my Slash 4x4, so I know your rig is HUGE! I can't wait to see a vid of the suspension flexing.

Last edited by BigSki; 06-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I just drilled the holes needed to mount the four link. So, there are four holes on each side of the the rear axle, with two on top and two on the bottom. The bottom holes are the factory ones, and the top holes are the ones I drilled out and mounted the four link too. Pretty simple. I will get some pictures later!

Zack
Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

this is one awesome looking project.. i would love to have time to build something like this.

congrats
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Did the emaxx two speed motor plate go perfectly onto the summit 2 speed transmission?
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CRAWLER KING View Post
Did the emaxx two speed motor plate go perfectly onto the summit 2 speed transmission?
Bolts right up!

Zack
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice Tatra makes the BADDEST trucks on the planet and your's is looking good, someday I'm doing a Tatra T813 6x6

This is the one I want to model

sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My wife is Czech, and I have spent a lot of time in Czech, so I made a Tatra!

Tatra is POWER!

Update:

I have installed two 10T pinions since I took this video, it is much smoother and slower now.

Zack
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
My wife is Czech, and I have spent a lot of time in Czech, so I made a Tatra!

Tatra is POWER!

Update:
I have installed two 10T pinions since I took this video, it is much smoother and slower now.

Zack

Fastest Tatra on the planet I love the spare carrier, like to see more of that
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote