Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: a few tamiya semi questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default a few tamiya semi questions

Im looking to get a semi kit and build a 6x6 but I havent found much info on a few points.
What is the wheel size?
Does the gearbox have a front output to drive the front axle (i will be using a tlt axle)?
And is there a model that works better over the others?

Thanks
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: a few tamiya semi questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinloon View Post
Im looking to get a semi kit and build a 6x6 but I havent found much info on a few points.
What is the wheel size?
Does the gearbox have a front output to drive the front axle (i will be using a tlt axle)?
And is there a model that works better over the others?

Thanks
wheels/tires are 1.7's

Last edited by FATBOYrs10; 07-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The stock semi trans is a bit different than a High Lift trans and it does not have a front output. Although you can modify them with a front output
Stock trans

Output mod

The stock rear suspension has limited travel and will need some modifications like longer links to fit a 1.9 size tire nicely.
I modified this to fit 1.9's although I chose not to have crazy articulation, If you get to that point and want to use stock suspension, I can help out with a part list.
This is a King Hauler chassis with modified semi suspension and TLT axles, it does not have a ton of articulation, but I don't want it for this truck. I can get a close up or two of the suspension if you need.

Depends on what you want out of a truck
This walking beam suspension I did with some rod ends, a small chunk of Delrin, a couple leaves from a High Lift, was very inexpensive and has plenty of articulation

Buying the parts you need may be more cost effective rather than a whole kit. What cab are you looking to use?
Decide what you want and don't be afraid to ask questions
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What I'm looking to build is a 1943 Dodge WC63 Power Wagon 6×6, my most lusted after vehicle lol. I may never own one but I'm going to try and make one. The reason I am looking at using a semi is that the suspension and chassis already look quite similar. As for flex I'm not worried about it. Thanks for the pics by the way!
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

You might be better off just buying the parts you need rather than buying a full semi kit and not using 1/2 the parts. The classifieds are a good place to score some TLT axles. Semi rear axles are a little narrower that TLT's and use a splined hex, so you will have to get creative to even it all out if you use them. Not trying to totally steer you away from a semi kit, just be aware that depending on what you want to do you will wind up not using a good amount of stock parts, you could sell them though to buy others. 6x6 rollers tend to show up in the classifieds from time to time, maybe you could score a roller and build off that.

There are some vendors here that may carry the parts you need. Look through the multitude of builds in this section to get some ideas of how you want to build yours.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote

a few tamiya semi questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
semi-droop questions littleWOJIN Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 09-03-2008 07:42 AM
tamiya semi tranny elvis Chit Chat 3 06-21-2005 08:17 AM
radio semi-newbie questions turbodart Electronics 1 02-11-2005 08:21 PM