Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: 8x8 HEMTT project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 8x8 HEMTT project

No pictures yet, still working out the details. I want to use a globe liner cab and cut the front off and make it look like a HEMTT but come to find out the globe liner is about 7-1/2" wide and what I have now is axial axles and axial 1.9 beadlocks coming in at 9-1/2"" of width. How much would say tamiya hummer wheels cut off my current track width? I would consider making the body wider if it wasn't that the glass is curved so I couldn't just cut some new glass to put it in. If that won't work I need to look into making my own body out of styrene, and as luck would have it with what I currently have it would be 1/10th scale to match all the other rigs I have. I have seen the thread about gluing styrene but are there any threads on making strong joints? I don't want it to collapse on the first roll over.
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

There have been a few builds from Globeliner cabs. But with all the straight panels on the HEMTT why not just build what you want out of styrene. The Globeliner cabs are to narrow for SCX axles anyway.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 8x8 HEMTT project

Hey thanks for the reply. I seen the other hemtt builds with the globe cab that's where I stole the idea from. I was just curious if any wheels out there would decrease the track width with the axial axles any. I'm not going for super scale, just something cool, so I wasn't worried about the shape difference between the two. Globe would just be a stronger base since it's all one piece. But, I've started mocking up a body with paper to build my own and I'll get a pic of what I'm starting with later tonight.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well maybe to spike up some interest here is a mock-up of what I got. Just placed an order for some styrene and music wire. I found some black styrene so I'm going to use it to build the cab, it'll look better than white when it gets scratched. Tires are a little small, the flat irons would be 42.5" tall when the real truck has tires 51.5" tall from my research. So I need bigger tires and I'd love to find some cheapish scale military type wheels. I'd hate to glue the tires but I'm guessing tamiya hummer wheels are the only cheaper choice and I still can't find how much they'll narrow my track width.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I got all my plastic today so hopefully I can get some more pictures up soon. I reworked the shape of the cab some it didn't look right. I have a sketch of what the walking beam suspension should look like made up still working out the details so if anyone has any good reference pictures or how you did yours post them up please!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

We did you the blueprints of this or how do you know the length etc ?
quart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I googled hemtt measurements and hemtt blueprints and a few images with measurements came up. They weren't very clear and it only had like wheelbase, overall height, etc on it so I blew up one of the pictures until it matched 1/10 and printed the cab portion and measured it by hand. It still don't look right so I'm going to try to find something better. I guess I'll ask on scale4x4 since I'm not getting any help here.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am looking forward to see more...

For scale looking military wheels, I guess you will have to go with sheet metal pressed wheels.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

All those diagrams I already have saved but thanks, there's other pictures I hadn't seen yet that may give ideas for things I want to add. I think the post apocalyptic mad max theme is which direction I'm going to go with so I can have an excuse for it not being detailed correctly. I trimmed down the car some. It is now scaled at 1/11 around a 4.75" tire. Before it was scaled at 1/10 around a 5" tire.

Here's the new side profile. Tires are 1/2" short so remember that. Distance between axle pairs 5.5" and the overall wheelbase is 23". It is actually a little short, should be 30" total. I can still adjust it nothing is set yet it just seemed realllllllly long at 30". I also dropped the transfer case about an inch for clearance to a bed or whatever I might throw on the back of it. The bracket is just roughed in it will get some trimming.

And here's the front suspension roughed in. Beams will get some more work on the sander and I might add a block under the leafs if I need to after I get more work done on the plastic and get all that set where I want it. I need another pair of leafs and and some TLT-1 axle brackets to do the rear. Anyone know where I can still get this.

Opinions, would a post apocalypse HEMTT get some 48" boggers or baja claws???

Interco Super Swamper 1.9 TSL/Bogger Scale Tire
Mickey Thompson 1.9 Baja Claw TTC Scale Tires (pair)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I am also interested in building a 8x8 or 10x10 Oshkosh Hemtt. But his will be my first build so I dont have any experience.
So I hope you guys can help me get started.
The Wheely king axles you have used are they in 1/10 scale ?
How did you make those axles to have a extra output to the last axel?
I planned to use suspension shocks and other axles do you know other axels that is for scale 1/10 and that can be rebuild to drive another axels ?
About wheels, could this a option to get closer to 1/10 Scale Rock Crusher X/T 2.2 Tires
quart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hello, these axles are axial scx10 not from a wheely king. These are 7-9/16" wide and the wheely kings are 8-5/8" wide. As for scale that depends on what you're building. The 1/1 HEMTT is 96" wide. My axles with the stock wheels and tires was 9". My build is closer to 1/11 so it worked out. To make the pass through axles you just take two pinion sides of whatever axle you use and put them together and you flip axles around to get the rotation right. My front and rear most axles are right side up and the center axles are turned so that my transfer case runs in reverse so I will need to run the motors on my emaxx 2-speed in reverse. The rock crushers are a great scale tire I've used them before. Problem I ran into is that for any scale 2.2 wheel you're going to spend $200+ on a set for a 8x8 and then another $100+ on tires. I didn't want to drop that much into this build. And, from what I read a HEMTT has 51.5" tires so the crushers are actually a little tall. I scaled mine around a 4.75" tire, biggest I could find in 1.9s. I can make a cover or something for these wheels to make them look more scale and sell a set or two of flat irons to recoup some money spent on the other tires.

So far I think I'm in this truck for a couple hundred bucks. Most parts are parts I had laying around. I bought a set of wheels and tires from a guy and he gave me one set of axles and a transmission that were missing the bearings and I parted out a truck to get another set. Then I ordered two axles that were just the cases and diffs/pinions to make my pass throughs. All the little bits are things I had in the parts bin.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well I've been sick so I haven't gotten a whole lot done but it's something. Got the new tires mounted up and the front suspension finalized. I need some brackets to do the rear and then the suspension will be done. They discountinued the TLT axle stays when they discontinued the truck. Got most of the cab skinned in black and the windows cut out. Next I'm going to do the floor of the cab done and get it mounted and then work on the fenders and engine compartment. I'm going to cut mounts from L-channel to mount everything to the frame.

Just the one update pic, it's not a lot but I've been sick so not much motivation and since I work night shift I've been sleeping just about all day. And does anyone have a single bogger I can buy? Condition don't matter just need a spare.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well here is this weekends update. Feeling better but not a lot of time to work on it. Got the rear suspension done and I need to make new beams for the front, I'm going with a little different approach and getting rid of the rod ends. I don't feel like they're needed still get but loads of flex for what it is. Done a little more work on the cab just working on the floor inside and added a little material back into the bottom of the windows they looked too big. Made the brackets that the fenders will mount to. The fenders will be aluminum they are what the transmission is sitting on in one of the pics. I need to buy a new vice so I can bend them and they'll be ready to go on. Now that the front and rear suspension is done I checked out the flex and took a couple pics. Also sat my dually up on the bench to get a size comparison. The dually is already longer than your average scx-10, I've added a few inches to the frame to get the wheelbase I wanted. It's rear tires and the HEMTT's rear tires are side by side. And I think if there's no interest this will be the last update I post and I'll just wait until it's done to post any pics if even then.

All wheels still on the desk.

Pay no attention to the mess in the background of some pics, we've only been in the house a couple months and the wife is still trying to get her crap organized. As you can see mine is already good to go in my corner, lol.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looking good mate, please don't stop posting progress on this, I'm sure i'm not the only one interested.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

keep the updates coming , looking really good
SEMIJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome! That thing is huge, and I like that you based the size to scale.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words. It helps to know people appreciate the time someone takes to post pics. I love your work semi joe, you do some amazing work with styrene. I'm trying to make this as strong as possible. It's got two .080 pieces making up the outsides everywhere it can get scratched and single .125 pieces on the bottom and everywhere it getting scratched won't be an issue. I couldn't find any black styrene any thicker than .080. I also got .25" angle inside on all the 90-degree seams. Building anything I can out of metal. I got a .125" thick piece of aluminum for the front skid bumper and making the fenders out of aluminum. It should be heavy. I wanted to build it 1/10 scale but I couldn't make new wheels and tires feasible. So I bought the biggest 1.9 tires I could find and the hummer wheels are cheap. I just wish they were beadlocks. So I ended up with about 1/11. Later on I can always build a new frame and swap everything over with bigger tires and longer wheelbase and it'll still look right, but not unless I run into a deal on some 2.2 rims.

Oh highmark I see you're from Louisville so you might get to see this monster at foto sometime cause I will wheel it.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: 8x8 HEMTT project

Looks great love th build!! Since im rockin the globe liner on my 6x6 I wld definitely say I like the custom cab u fabd better, sits on the axles and wheelbase and looks damn good doin it! Keep up the good work!
idealconceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

It's been a couple weeks, mostly been working on little things (drillings LOTS and LOTS of holes) and I took one weekend off working on it. I got it up and running this weekend. Lots of bugs to work out but it ran and drove, and climbed my steps! It's got a single 35t motor on it for testing. Way too fast so I'll probably pick up a couple 55t's for it. I've got the trans mounted and made all the driveshafts and a carrier bearing for the long center shaft. I used what I had laying around. Some center shafts for a revo, I think, couple bearings, piece of my go to plastic(cutting board), and a drill bit. The drill bit actually worked out well, we'll see if it's strong enough. It's hard to drill a hole in a drill bit I'll tell you that. What's shown in the suspension picture is the rear and I think will be the final design. I originally had beams with link ends on the ends but there was too much play in the setup. I made four but when I clamped them all together to drill the holes I guess the drill was perfectly straight cause the holes were too far off on two of them so I gotta remake them. I also seemed to get a lot of axle twist even with the upper link so maybe it needs to be longer, move the three-link mount to the other side of the axle and make longer links. Would take some angle off them. Any criticism is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxa87 View Post
All those diagrams I already have saved but thanks, there's other pictures I hadn't seen yet that may give ideas for things I want to add. I think the post apocalyptic mad max theme is which direction I'm going to go with so I can have an excuse for it not being detailed correctly. I trimmed down the car some. It is now scaled at 1/11 around a 4.75" tire. Before it was scaled at 1/10 around a 5" tire.

Here's the new side profile. Tires are 1/2" short so remember that. Distance between axle pairs 5.5" and the overall wheelbase is 23". It is actually a little short, should be 30" total. I can still adjust it nothing is set yet it just seemed realllllllly long at 30". I also dropped the transfer case about an inch for clearance to a bed or whatever I might throw on the back of it. The bracket is just roughed in it will get some trimming.

And here's the front suspension roughed in. Beams will get some more work on the sander and I might add a block under the leafs if I need to after I get more work done on the plastic and get all that set where I want it. I need another pair of leafs and and some TLT-1 axle brackets to do the rear. Anyone know where I can still get this.

Opinions, would a post apocalypse HEMTT get some 48" boggers or baja claws???

Interco Super Swamper 1.9 TSL/Bogger Scale Tire
Mickey Thompson 1.9 Baja Claw TTC Scale Tires (pair)
how about some 1.9 pitbull rock beasts
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote

8x8 HEMTT project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8x8 project jmz6 Multi Axle Rigs 15 12-31-2012 09:19 PM
Trouble with my 8X8 HEMTT build kuatto 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 08-19-2012 09:43 PM
IS 8x8 HEMTT TexasSP General Scale Talk 14 09-21-2011 07:21 AM
Project: "Al" (Oshkosh HEMTT 8x8, Axial Axles) justinart24 Multi Axle Rigs 29 12-20-2009 12:18 AM