Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Szczerba's Tow Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
That's killer - I think that's only the second time I've seen a true LR radius arm set up used.
We'll see how it all fits together. Still not sure if two pass through axles is going to work. Milspecs are 5.1" tall. 1:1 drawing i had the tires set at 5.2" tall. Mocked up with 4.9" tires and its going to be close. See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxa87 View Post
Going to be a cool rig. If you decide on the duals here is what I made for my f-350 dually. Of course you'd need one longer for 2.2 sized tires most likely. The lugs on the tires lock together pretty well so a hex on the outside tire isn't even needed.

]
Thanks for the idea. Ill be going with single 2.2 Mil specs out back. If was going to run duals the 2.2 Axial Trail Ready beadlocks could have worked pretty easy turned back to back and then used a setup like your extension.

Got a jig built. Most of the parts will be in by the end of next week. Like I mentioned, these are 4.9" mock up wheels. Probably wont be able to setup the suspension until I get the actual Mil Specs.

Sent from my computer-phone.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Szczerba's Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yea, it was like a light flipped on when I saw it. Bought two more pairs for $12 each. I will be running springs made to look like a coil spring setup. Not sure if Ill try and pull the air bag look off or not. Depends on what I can find to mimic that look. With this arm setup, there wouldn't be a mount for the bag behind the axle.

How much room do you have on each side of the ball mount when it's bolted in the axle mount? You could make a c shaped bracket with the spring mount to slide in between the arm and axle or just go on the outsides of the axle mount so it looks like it is still coming off the arm.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
How much room do you have on each side of the ball mount when it's bolted in the axle mount? You could make a c shaped bracket with the spring mount to slide in between the arm and axle or just go on the outsides of the axle mount so it looks like it is still coming off the arm.

--Dan
There is room between the ball end and the axle mounts.
Another thing Ill have to make a bracket for is the rear most axle. It's not a pass through, so there are not axle mounts on the backside. Of course this arm setup can only be used if I run pass throughs or remake a bracket for them if i dont run pass throughs. Not sure how the torque will be handled going through two axles.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

You gotta think - The real deals have no flex really. That's why they are all equipped with spring loaded driver seats.
I think as long as you follow suit then it'll work fine. We are talking about a cargo hauler, not a rock bouncer.

Plus it looks killer!!!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

I like where this is going.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You gotta think - The real deals have no flex really. That's why they are all equipped with spring loaded driver seats.
I think as long as you follow suit then it'll work fine. We are talking about a cargo hauler, not a rock bouncer.

Plus it looks killer!!!
I plan on making it have pretty firm suspension due to the 3 drive axles and what could get bound up. I'll probably go the two pass through route and if that doesn't hold up I'll have to rework it to a divorced case setup, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I like where this is going.
Me too . Most of the parts should be in by this Thursday. Probably won't get much done to it until then. I want to have the tires in hand to make sure my rear axle separation is long enough to clear everything.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #47
RCC Addict

That's an ambitious undertaking, Shane. A definite monster at 36".
Are you going to get any actual turning action from the rear axle with the middle two being so close to it?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Default Szczerba's Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
That's an ambitious undertaking, Shane. A definite monster at 36".
Are you going to get any actual turning action from the rear axle with the middle two being so close to it?
I dunno on the rear steer axle. The 1:1 weighs 41,000lbs and has a rear steer axle. So if it does some good on the 1:1, I am assuming it will do some good on its 20lbs little bro. Lol

Got to tinkering with some stuff in the shop. There are some slick 1/14 scale semi air ride systems but you are going to may mightly for them.
So, all thread, rod end, spring cups and Twin Hammers front shock springs equals below.
The nut on the top will be gone later. The spring cup will sit flush on the frame, with a hole in the frame, the all thread will go through and the nut will be on the inside of the frame. I think it may work?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

looks like it will. awesome and very ambitious project. If you run this on one motor it better be a powerful one cause with 4 axles you'll be needing a lot of it. Keep it up, that's gonna be a sweet rig man
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
looks like it will. awesome and very ambitious project. If you run this on one motor it better be a powerful one cause with 4 axles you'll be needing a lot of it. Keep it up, that's gonna be a sweet rig man
Build shouldn't bee too tough once the parts start rolling in. Holmes Hobbies will have the right motor for this rig.

I just searched all of the internets and I cannot locate anymore front Twin Hammer springs
Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Szczerba I have a set of shocks off my TH the I won't be using. PM me if interested.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

and then... once driveline is done.. you should put a scale series 92 Detroit replica in it like the scale model picture you posted.

plus you got a guy like me who works on em everyday lol. im subed
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #53
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Build shouldn't bee too tough once the parts start rolling in. Holmes Hobbies will have the right motor for this rig.

I just searched all of the internets and I cannot locate anymore front Twin Hammer springs

I may have looked it over, what you planning on for trans ? Summit ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSc10 View Post
Szczerba I have a set of shocks off my TH the I won't be using. PM me if interested.
Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingman9000 View Post
and then... once driveline is done.. you should put a scale series 92 Detroit replica in it like the scale model picture you posted.

plus you got a guy like me who works on em everyday lol. im subed
They make a diecast cat diesel but it's pricey and heavy. Most of my rigs are half scale looking anyways so I am not sure if I am going with a scale engine or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I may have looked it over, what you planning on for trans ? Summit ?
First thoughts are a bullet proof AX10, due to size. The frame rails will be 3.5" wide on the outsides, so I am guessing about 3" on the inside will be my clearance. Tips, thoughts, suggestions?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

You could some neoprene to make "socks" to go over the spring setup, to pull off the air bag look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatthews View Post
You could some neoprene to make "socks" to go over the spring setup, to pull off the air bag look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep or something similar. Badhorsie makes some pretty cheap shock spring covers too.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Stick with the axial tranny. If anything you could lay it down over top of the chassis. CG is not going to be an issue caused by the tranny and motor on this puppy.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Stick with the axial tranny. If anything you could lay it down over top of the chassis. CG is not going to be an issue caused by the tranny and motor on this puppy.
I've seen guys use summit transmissions with axial transmissions as transfer cases as well. I am kind of skeptical of the two pass though setup but I'll go with it and test if before I decide.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

What about heat shrink over the springs. Just heated at the ends to encase the the spring
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
What about heat shrink over the springs. Just heated at the ends to encase the the spring
Noted.

Szczerba's Tow Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f350 tow truck/ tow rig bbnate804 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-19-2012 07:15 PM
Big Rig tow rig codycodeman16 General Crawlers 1 02-05-2010 09:43 PM
Tow rig # 2 braceysdad 1.9 Scale Rigs 58 06-27-2007 01:08 PM
Tow rig #1 braceysdad 1.9 Scale Rigs 46 06-11-2007 11:06 AM
New Tow Rig Will Chit Chat 10 07-22-2005 12:02 PM