Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: 6x6 Heavy Tow rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 6x6 Heavy Tow rig. TITAN TOWING !

hey guys just thought id share my newest build.
its going to be modeled off of a Heavy Tow Truck, with most likely a Mack cab on it, if i could find a complete king hauler cab that would be great, but ill see how i go.
i plan on running leaf spring all round with the rear being set up similar to this

it will run dual wheels on the rear, mostly because i work on trucks everyday and to me 6x6s with only single drive wheels just look... weird.

well here how it sits atm

im waiting on the 3rd and 4th axles to arrive so i can make the passthru axle, and the leaf springs are coming from the states and the shocks from hong kong.
it also needs 1 more tyre.

Last edited by trukkracea; 01-18-2014 at 02:47 AM.
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 6x6 Heavy Tow rig.

Are you going to narrow the rear axles or run it with a wider track in the rear?
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ill be running 10mm wide hexes on the rear. But essentially the duals sit over the axle.

As you can see in the pic the inner rim is just the outer ring and the mounting point is the outer rim.
It was really easy to do.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That's a good idea. On my SCX dually I thought about that but was running beadlocks and didn't want to loose that feature and couldn't figure out a strong way to connect the wheels where I'd still be able to disassemble them. So, I decided to narrow the axle 1/2" per side with rc4wds scx axle shafts so I could just cut the shafts and renotch them for the diff.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ive used 40mm high pressure PVC Pipe ( the actual OD is 42mm ) I cut it to 35mm length then cut a 10mm notch in the pipe essentially making it a big pvc rollpin. The fit is that tight I have trouble pulling them apart. Ive used the stock walker evans rims off of the rubicon so it was nice and easy.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukkracea View Post
Ive used 40mm high pressure PVC Pipe ( the actual OD is 42mm ) I cut it to 35mm length then cut a 10mm notch in the pipe essentially making it a big pvc rollpin. The fit is that tight I have trouble pulling them apart. Ive used the stock walker evans rims off of the rubicon so it was nice and easy.

Do they track straight?
cg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If ive cut them straight they should as the pvc is pressed all the way in to the rim hump

Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

so after finding out that a Bruder Mack cab was 9ish inches long, i decided to extend the wheel base further.
it went from being 21" long to 25" long, as a result i had to come up with away to extend the drive shafts.
and not wanting to fork out 30-50 bucks on a drive shaft extension from rc4wd i decided to make my own.
after a few hours of tinkering i came up with this!

essentially it is 1 x steering knuckle 2 x servo mounts and a piece of 3/16th brake line as the shaft.
it still needs a little refining . but i will worry about that when i have all my suspension and axles.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looking awesome so far. You basically made a carriage bearing (if I remember the name right) like some older big trucks and older ford long bead pickups had. I like it.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So this is what I got up to today

Mounted up the servo winch to its mounting plate.

Then got a little carried away and by the time I stoped at 10pm I had this

Still got to make lower mounts for the Booms shocks and cover the top of the boom.
So far ive only tested it lifting and old ax10 chassis with all its links still attached.
Lifts it very easily. Doesn't even move the truck chassis when it comes under load.

Also last night in a sleepy haze I bought this. Didn't mean to buy it just put a watch on it.

Its 22.75"L x 7.75"W x 9"T so it should do the job. And it only cost $58 with free post, half the price of the Bruder truck I wanted.
Prefer a Peterbilt over a Mack anyway.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

" Also last night in a sleepy haze I bought this. Didn't mean to buy it just put a watch on it"

Lol!!
I use that excuse on my wife all the time....I didn't mean to buy it....

Man this rig is going to me mean. I'm excited. I love the dually mod!
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So my axles and parts from one10 arrived yesterday. So as soon as I got home I tore into building the pass through axle.

I also test fit the duals to see what sort of spacer I would need. Having thought that an 11mm would be plenty, I was quite shocked at just how wide I would need.

Heres the axle with standard 2.2 spacer on.

The inner wheel half covers the brackets I was going to use to mount the leaf spring and shocks too.

So after much discussion. I settled on a set of 25mm hex extenders.

After building the pass through I also tore down the rear diff and gave it a thorough greaseing.

Here is the completed diffs.

The middle shaft will probably end up being about 40-50mm I think as the leaf springs are 120mm I think. Will know more once they turn up.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Alrighty. Time for an update.
Since last I wrote I have mounted the booms support shocks to the chassis.

This took bloody ages. Cutting and filing for like 2hrs. Fingers hurt afterwards but worth it.

Now to today.
Arriving home from work this arvo I wad greeted with this!

Which after about an 30 mins turned into this

I drilled the extra holes reauired in the chassis and I also drilled out the spring retaing bolt hole to 3mm, as I would need this to mount the leaf to the axles 4 link holes.

I also had to space the rear mount out and use the spare brackets from the second leaf set to line up with the axle holes properly.

And here it is mounted

And with tyres

Thats all for now. Tomorrow and most likely all weekend ( 3day weekend woohoo gor Australia day!)
Well be spent working out the rear suspension setup.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I did not know Integy made a leaf spring kit. Thanks. When I made my dually two years ago I wanted leaves front and rear but could only find the parts from a discontinued kit to do the rear. Now I might have to do the front also. I don't remember who the kit was made by but on mine it had brackets that mounted to the axle in the holes you used and it moved the spring further inward so the leaf sat under the frame.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Between watching the cricket and wracking my brain on the rear suspension. I put this together

Thats and mounting the front shocks is about all I got done tonight.
I had to make up little tiny brass sleeves to go into the eyes on the leaf springs to accept M3 bolts. Also remade the centre shaft.

It looks like im going to have to try relocate the center bearing as the third drive shaft is to long to reach the output shaft on the front axle where I want it.

Fun times!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Rear suspension is mostly done a few tweeks to sort out once its running but thats about it.

Now before any one points out the rear shock is further back than the front, there is a reason lol. I needed to do so to limit the amount of upward travel it has in the rear direction as it woul case the centre shaft to come apart.

Flex shot anyone?

Thats all I got for now. I ran out of nuts so I cant do anymore frame work till I get some. Being a public holiday on monday I dont know if the hardware store is open or not.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Hooray for public holidays. Spent a few hrs working on TITAN. Got more of the rear done on it. Realised im goin to have to beef up the crane it looks to... weedy compared to the rest of it now. It looked ok on just the chassis but now that its been "fleshed" out as it where its to small.

I also to it out into the garden for a bit of a photo op.

Bit of a size compare shot for ya's

All 3 of my scx10s
2 highly modified 1 basicly stock.

Trukkracea

Last edited by trukkracea; 01-27-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks like a nice start.
The rear suspension looks like it will fail before long. I picked up a 6x6 a couple years ago that had a similar setup and it flat out did not work, there is nothing to keep the axles from getting closer to one another. Once the leaf breaks in a bit the rear axles will twist independent of one another. You need some sort of link tying the axles together or each one to the chassis.

If you want to keep one leaf a walking beam setup is easy to build. Or even some setup like teh Tamiya semi's use.
You could always 4 link it that seems to be the method of choice.

Here is a walking beam setup I did a while back, simple yet effective
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Ive got each axle braced to the chassis u can sort of see it in a few of the pics. The bright green bars.
If I need to re work it I may pinch what youve done

Trukkracea
Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Been a few days since I did an update. I havent really done that much else to it except tweek and rework a few things.

The centre drive shaft would fall out when the rear wheels flexed upwards. So the male shaft had to be lengthened. It has limited the front axles upward flex as a whole, but the twist flex hasnt been affected :-D.

Ive alsi been working on the crane.
With the body starting to take shape more the crane boom was looking more and more inadequate. So I went and picked up some 20x20 aluminum square tube.

It looks much better than the old one. Im also toying with the idea of a telescopic extension. Ill see how that pans out.

I also decided to relocate where it mounts and how it mounts. It will now be on a turntable.

Thats about all thats been done to the truck itself.
Ive order a truck for the cab and have some 25mm and 17mm hex wideners coming.

Oh and heres a sneek peek at something else I ordered.

:-D:-D:-D

Trukkracea

6x6 Heavy Tow rig. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f350 tow truck/ tow rig bbnate804 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-19-2012 07:15 PM
Big Rig tow rig codycodeman16 General Crawlers 1 02-05-2010 09:43 PM
king heavy hauler 6x6 #112 SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 4 01-11-2010 04:28 PM
CXT 6x6 Flat Bed Tow Rig jays68yak Traxxas Crawlers 58 12-31-2008 12:52 AM
6X6 CXT Flat Bed Tow Rig run2jeepn General Crawlers 36 12-23-2006 04:28 AM