Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build

Decided to try my hand at a 6x6 build, lots of good examples on here. I'll be going for a military theme using the Tamiya Bullhead cab with a flat bed to haul a matching clod body SCX10. Chassis is being made using aluminum C channel.

Here are a couple pictures of the SCX10 axles and the pass through middle axle:

TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build

I'll be using 1.9 Maxxis Trepador tires mounted on Tamiya hummer wheels, parts on the way. The bed is 21" long to accommodate the clod SCX10:

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Started on the flatbed, using styrene with aluminum L channel for support around the edge and as cross members. I also plan to make or find a box to hold the battery behind the cab. Sunroof will be filled in and body will be mounted with Velcro. A quick mockup for what I'm aiming for:

Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I got the SCX10 roller together for the clod chevy cargo vehicle and started on the body work on the bullhead and clod. Nice bit of extra work since Tamiya put a sunroof on both bodies...

Sunroof and fender body mount holes filled in on the bullhead. Also filled in the sunroof, blower hole, front fender lines and body mount holes on the clod. Working on the drop bed for the clod body:

Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #5

Really digging this build. I like the CUCV M1008 for the back. I have a Ascender CUCV M1009 build in the works and am planning a military 6x6 but I am think dump bed for mine. Look forward to updates on this.
Highboost73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

This thing looks awesome man! Always wanted to do a similar build but havent pulled the trigger. subbed Now get back to work to we can see this
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like this build. How are you going to mount the bullhead body on the chassis?
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyRoy View Post
I like this build. How are you going to mount the bullhead body on the chassis?
The rear of the cab fits snugly on the frame. The front of the frame will have a brace added using flat aluminum and attach to the underside of the hood using Velcro. I've had others projects going, I guess I need to dust this one off and get back to work...
Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #9

i am in the planing stage for a M35A2 bobber build on an ascender frame can you tell me how long the bullhead cab is on rpp the dont say the size thanks
sbfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I finished up the SCX10 clod before the 6x6 and beat on it a little bit while I work on the Bullhead 6x6.

Clod:
HH BRXL waterproof ESC
HH 35t brushed motor
Proline scaler shocks
RC4WD front bumper and sliders
Proline Denali wheels
1.9 Super swamped tires
Wrestler with the leftover Sam Fisher vest
Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The 6x6 is now a runner and body and flat bed have been mocked up and began painting.

I found a long punisher drive shaft in the RCC classifieds, perfect for this long chassis:

Using Rustoleum deep forest green camouflage paint for the Bullhead cab and rear storage compartment that will hold the battery and most likely the ESC. This is the same color used on the Clod, with matte clear coat to better preserve the paint.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The clod prior to a quick paint touch up in the pictures previously posted. Wooly Hollow State Park in Arkansas while on vacation:

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Putting together the body and flat bed after painting. The flat bed is a black styrene floor and aluminum L channel framing (found black styrene sheets on eBay, love this over the normal white stuff). The flat bed, battery/ESC storage box and Bullhead cab are all connected.

I decided to try a container store hinged box first. With the scale accessories it might be fine. Trying this before building one from scratch. Thinking about mounting spare tires on each side of the cargo box, can't decide if I like this or not.

Here is the support structure of the underneath of the flatbed:

The rear of the flatbed attaches to the chassis using upside-down traxxas body mounts that go through L brackets permanently mounted to the chassis. Small L shaped body clips hold the rear of the flatbed in place and are unnoticible from above.

The cargo box hides a cutout in the back of the Bullhead body to clear the motor. I will also use the cargo box to pass the ESC in the cargo space when the body is attached to the chassis. The plan so far is to mount the ESC inside the cargo box using Velcro so the ESC can easily be removed anytime I want to remove the body/flatbed. Planning to also mount a Wraith battery holder inside the cargo box once I pick one of those up.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here is how it sits now with the Clod in tow. You can definitely see the weight in the stock tire foams, gives it a good look I think. Let me know if you have any ideas on improvements.

I'll be using Oven Cleaner (yellow cap) to remove the chrome from the grill, air cleaners, exhaust etc. prior to painting those parts flat black. More to come soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Removing chrome off of the Bullhead parts prior to painting using yellow cap oven cleaner (caustic acid is the active ingredient if I remember correctly). The gas tanks are still in the process, the chrome on thiose seems to be much more stubborn. I also tried bleach on the gas tanks, and that did nothing after about 20 minutes of total submersion. They are now back soaking in oven cleaner. Wear safety glasses and gloves if you use this method, nasty stuff and lots of fumes.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Like your build. Like to see it carries a 1/10 truck. Mine can carry a small Tamiya m-05 mini.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

WesleyRoy, good looking truck yourself. I never thought about steelies on a civilian rig, they look great on there. I don't have any vehicles as small as your Tamiya Mini, so it had to be long! I have started looking around for one of the Tamiya M1025 humvees, i think that would be a better permanent rig for the back of my 6x6 since I drive the Clod pretty often.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Any progress?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G708 Oc met Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have done a little more on this, but haven't done an update in a while. The de-chromed parts were painted flat black and installed:

I used a Vaterra Ascender K5 front bumper, worked pretty well for this truck:

A few more pictures. I still need to make an interior and put some clear glass on the 6x6. I may also replace the box on the flat bed that holds the battery with a styrene homemade one for a better look.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

This is a runner, so I will see how the $10 Hobbyking rebuildable brushed motor holds up once I get some wheel time. With the RC4WD trans and the Clod in tow, this thing sounds like a 1:1 going through the gears...

Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial based 6x6 bullhead cab Weapon Multi Axle Rigs 69 11-22-2014 11:41 PM
military 6x6 boostaddict Multi Axle Rigs 14 04-04-2014 06:02 PM
Bullhead 6x6 CydStrange Scale Videos! 0 11-23-2012 06:18 AM