Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Volvo C304 / TGB13 6x6 with printed portal axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 03:57 AM   #21

Default Re: Volvo C304 / TGB13 6x6 with printed portal axle

Okay, lets show some update...

In the meantime, my spring brackets arrived and the Tamiya parts got exchanged. Not the rotating point of the spring is underneath as the 1:1 has it.

©hoffy

©hoffy

After all connection points were fixed, I could redo the link holding plate out of 2mm aluminum. With an small jig transfer all points to the plate and drill the holes.

©hoffy

cutting afterwards on my band saw

©hoffy

rounding the corners a bit and it looks not too bad...

©hoffy

here is a little comparison with the first test plate...

©hoffy

mounted to the chassis looks not too bad and fits quite well...

©hoffy

The first axle needs to be reclocked a bit...

here without the spring...

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

What's missing now, is some spring brackets that hold the spring at the axle in rebounded axle position. I have done first prototypes, but not sure if I will keep or redo it...

Cheers Hoffy
hoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
RCC Addict

What are you going to use for limiting the droop of the axles? It looks like the tires could come in contact with each other currently.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #23

@josh6575

The drop of the axle will be limited by some brackets that are already done, more or less. Two of four needs to be redone for the reason the those two has limited the drop too much...

The 1:1 do have a axle distance of 1050mm and I do have now 106mm. I will use 1.9 Mud Trasher and can assure you the wheels are not touching but are real close...

After Easter I will show some more pics with finished axle drop limiter brackets and hopefully with finished front suspension.

Cheers Hoffy
Old 05-08-2015, 02:54 AM   #24

I guess it's time to give some update...

As I wrot already in my last post, I have finished the brackets that limited the droop of the rear axles. The first two brackets limited the droop far too much and needs some rework and work now as good as the second pair.

left top = old one, right top = prototype for second pair that's shown below.

©hoffy

installed on axle the reworked first pair on first rear axle

©hoffy

second pair installed on second rear axle

©hoffy

With finalizing the brackets, I can close the chapter of rear axle suspension adjustment. Before I can do some flex shots, I had to finalize the front suspension as well. But I can show one pic how it should look, after finalizing the front suspension.

©hoffy

At the front I had some issues that needs to be solved:
1.) First of all was to find a damper that was short enough, but still had enough travel.
2.) The second point was the chassis rail that is still 2mm too wide compared to the chassis rail that I have planned and will use at the end.
3.) Another point I had to solve was finding a mounting point for the damper. The problem with the mounting point was, that the damper needs a 4mm ball and those generally has a 2mm hole or M2 threat. But all the other mounts at the axle works with 3mm hole or M3 screws. Possible mounting position could be behind the axle next to the link mounts, or in front of the axle on the former planned, too close designed, mounting points. For both mounting position the original damper rod ends does not work.

That's so far the points I was hassle with. Now to the solutions I have worked out.

1.) The only good working damper which I found and that suite my needs were Losi RC18T rear damper with stiff springs. Those damper does fit perfectly and turned out like scale damper for the Volvo.

2.) To get enough space for the shocks I had to file down the rails to 6mm as I did it already for the body mount.

3.) The mounting position was at least the hardest challenge. The only solution I found was trying something unusual and 3D-print the needed special rod ends. Those parts looks funny...

©hoffy

bottom original Losi rod end, above the printed rod end for mounting the damper behind the axle, above the traxxas rod end and at top the rod end to mount the damper in front of the axle.

©hoffy

So the main problems with the damper were solved so far. The next that needs to be done was testing and found the right damper position. At least it worked out, that mounting the damper in front of the axle was the better choice and even the more scale solution. After the damper position is set, I could do the upper damper mounts.

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

The next was to drill the holes for the upper damper mounts, servo mounts and repositioned traverse.

©hoffy

with mounted upper damper mounts

©hoffy

©hoffy

stay tuned, the show will go one soon!

Cheers Hoffy
Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #25

Some more updates, as promised:

what was still missing at the chassis was the servo position that nearly droves me crazy and the links.

The servo position was not that easy. At least I had to reposition the traverse to find the right place.

©hoffy

©hoffy

After the servo position was fixed, I was still fighting with the link position and the length of the links. At my fist try, the links were really short and did its job.

©hoffy

But I wasn't really happy with it. So I tried one more time and did some new link mounts, took some spacers and did my best to lengthen the links as much as possible.

That's what come out now, and seems to be much better than my first try...

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

The links are now really close to the chassis rails as well as to the drive shaft. But I hope that at the end, after all the links are covered by steel tube, nothing is touching. keep finger crossed!

The steering do work now as good as it should and stops at nearly 45°.

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

May be I will redo the steering arms to improve the Ackermann to zero. But that's something for the first improvement phase. Now I want to see how it works and behave under tough condition...

The chassis is getting together good and a first test run could be done soon. But some minor things needs to be done prior. For example install the front skid plate or the ESC, that is on its way to me.

Hope to give you an update soon...

Cheers

Hoffy
Old 12-04-2015, 01:40 AM   #26

What a awesome build love to see a scracth build looking forward to seeing the finished
jeffchere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #27

Oh my gosh... How long I did not update this thread?!? It's nearly one year ago that I presented the latest updates. The reason is as simple as that nothing happens in 8 month. But in the last 2 Month I found a bit time and could generate a little progress.

One of the last things I did last year was implementing some lights into the front an mount the front "bumper" that's more or less a slide plate.

©hoffy

For the reason, that the axle shafts at the Traxxas Diff locker only have a contact surface of 3mm (shaft flat area is 3mm) and the Traxxas diff locker are only plastic, I have designed new diff locker with approx. 12mm contact surface.

©hoffy

©hoffy

mounted to the axle:

©hoffy

The printed diff locker fits perfect and are more durable, I have updated all Traxxas Diffs in the same way. But additionally I have also tested the Kulak Diff gears, as well with printed diff locker with perfect fit to my axle.

Short comparision between Kulak 1:16 Mini Crawler and Traxxas 1:16 Diffs:

©hoffy

And compared the contact surface for original Traxxas Diff locker and printed Diff locker:

©hoffy

During Winter, nothing happens on the Volvo, but I wanted to test the Chassis, so I did a short test run at the next gravel-pit. That's the results... a lot of mud!!!

©hoffy

©hoffy

That's the status how the Volvo was parked the whole Winter.

But beginning of 2016, I god some new parts - water cutted "final" 6mm alu frame rails and 2mm steel rear suspension hanger.

©hoffy

So I had some work to do, cut a lot threads and make everything sit and fits correct. The result is as expected...

to be continued soon...
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 AM   #28

As promised, some more updates.

For the reason, that I wanted to participate at the Northern Germany RC Truck Trial Championship, I had to fulfill some regulations, like rear buildup with fully covered wheels (platform or tube work), roll bar and full cabin, I had to do some more work.

In the meantime I bought a smale 3D printer to test my design and have some support on time consuming parts. So I have tried a tube frame for the rear buildup.

First parts:

©hoffy

©hoffy

To fulfill the cabin, I needed a dash as well as a motor tunnel cover. A seat would be nice as well. So give my printer some work and after some fails, This is what comes out:

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

©hoffy

I know, the steering wheel is missing, but that's the next to be added... somewhen...

After the "interieur" was more or less finished, I could go on with the upper cabin.

Back wall:

©hoffy

glue side wall and roof to the printed roof round edges:

©hoffy

and add the front wall and putt everything together...

©hoffy

©hoffy

nearly finished rear tube frame and battery compartment...

©hoffy

©hoffy

finished for first run...

©hoffy

completed elo as tiny little elo tower...

©hoffy

with cabin...

©hoffy

©hoffy

add some mirrows...

©hoffy

The upper cabin is removable mounted to the lower cabin and fixed by 2 little screws. The lover cabin can also be easily removed from the chassis. It's as well fixed by 2 screws but will be soon 4 screws. So I have always easy excess to the elo or interieur.

That's how I did the first run of the rc truck trial championship. The run was quite time intensive, so I did only one bad pic...

©hoffy

But even if the result was not really satisfying, I am happy with this little rig! It performed very well and stand the full run without any defect! But it shows also some potentials for improvements. That's what I will word on now.

One last word to the printed tube-rear-frame-roll-bar (whatever). To be honest, I was afraid if it will last the hard run and stay the rollover the truck will do during the run. And yes it did!!! The Volvo did some hard roll over and fall down from bridges, but everything hold up as it should! I am positive surprised and happy with this little mountain goat!!!

I hope you enjoy what you see. I appreciate any feedback!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #29

Those Axles... MAN soo cool what can be done!
RcEngineer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

awesome build
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:46 AM   #31

Thanks for your acknowledgment!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 AM   #32

No progress so fare at the Volvo. But the Volvo is working fine and without any issues. Shown on a short scale tour with some friends last weekend. Result is a short clip, enjoy watching:

https://youtu.be/Pktt_XaT7w4

Hope you like it...
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #33

Awesome rig! And i love those axles great job
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

Volvo C304 / TGB13 6x6 with printed portal axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shapeways 3d printed portal axles, knuckles, t-case, axle housing for scx10 Shinjari Axial SCX-10 29 09-28-2016 06:48 PM
VOLVO LM 6x6 by stef91 stef91 Multi Axle Rigs 13 11-11-2014 08:52 AM
r1 portal axle bearings 530_crawler G-Made Crawlers 4 03-17-2013 01:10 AM