Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Beast II 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD Beast II 6x6

So I have followed Szczerba & JeepinDoug's builds of their Cross 6x6's and have been trying to determine if I want to buy one or build a 6x6 from a SCX10 donor (or do both). But today, I see that RC4WD is coming out with a new 6x6, the Beast II. The pricing (apparently introductory) is only $50 more than the Cross and looks pretty impressive, particularly in the drive train.

I've only ever used wheels & tires from RC4WD so I have no opinion of their other products but I get the impression that they have great & reliable stuff, correct? I'm assuming that for the $, it'd totally worth getting the Beast II instead of a truck from Cross. Thoughts? Opinions?

I'd still like to build a 6x6 at some point, but I have no fab skills yet so I have no doubt I'll start with a kit.
IronGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD Beast II 6x6

When I got the Cross MC6 the axles were weak but they have since updated those issues. Comparing the running gear, the RC4WD is probably going to be the better buy, IMO. The RC4WD cab and bed are similar to the Cross RC cab and bed, as this type of cab/bed has shown up on several companies 6x6's over the last few years. You can buy the almost identical cab from a Czech company right now.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Chassis, transmission, axles, shocks, wheels, etc are alot better then the Cross stuff.

If i didnt already have an Axial based unimog 6x6 i would be buying one of these.

I might even be tempted to sell mine and buy one of these actually...lol We will see...
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

The Cross rc 8x8, with the newer axle setup, is actually a perfectly decent kit. Cannot fault it, and the parts quality seems no worse than others.
monster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i think the origonal Beast had Rockwells/Blackwells.
looks like this only has yotas.
clearance and snagability is probly better, but the blackwells were just so cool.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGut View Post
So I have followed Szczerba & JeepinDoug's builds of their Cross 6x6's and have been trying to determine if I want to buy one or build a 6x6 from a SCX10 donor (or do both). But today, I see that RC4WD is coming out with a new 6x6, the Beast II. The pricing (apparently introductory) is only $50 more than the Cross and looks pretty impressive, particularly in the drive train.

I've only ever used wheels & tires from RC4WD so I have no opinion of their other products but I get the impression that they have great & reliable stuff, correct? I'm assuming that for the $, it'd totally worth getting the Beast II instead of a truck from Cross. Thoughts? Opinions?

I'd still like to build a 6x6 at some point, but I have no fab skills yet so I have no doubt I'll start with a kit.
I jsut peeked at that kit. Why is the first thing that came to mind 'Wow, I should get one, and paint it traffic cone orange.' I must be really tired.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't have any experience with Cross RC products to compare, but so far, I really like what I'm seeing in the Beast II. Many of the components (esp. the R3 2-speed tranny and Yota 2 axles) do very well on other RC4WD platforms like the TF2 and Gelande 2, so they should work well on this one. The chassis and mechanicals were quite straightforward to assemble and will be very familiar to anyone that's built a Gelande or TF2.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #8

I'm thinking about buying the Beast II kit as well. I have a RC4WD Trail Finder 2 that I'm very happy with. The kit is top noth in my opinion, although my experience is more with racers than scalers. The 2-speed transmission is something people seem to love or hate. I love man, but it does have a lot of slop and is a pain to get setup right. They say the one in the Beast is improved... even if it wasn't that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

It's tempted to scratch build my own out of a scx-10, but I'll probably end up spending more money and end up with something that doesn't perform as well. If I do buy the beast, I'll probably build my own body in the style of a 2 1/2 ton convoy truck.
theshackle is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Beast II 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 6X6 Worminator -or- Beast LumTheMad Chit Chat 7 07-03-2012 03:07 PM
RC4WD Beast 6x6 Truck Build (Done) Racer4Life Multi Axle Rigs 21 09-09-2011 05:52 PM