Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fleetwood RV: Jurassic park mobile lab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Fleetwood RV: Jurassic park mobile lab

So awhile back I saw RCgeek on scale4x4rc.com start this project and just never post again. So I decided I would give it a go. I did research and the RV used in the movie is a 1996-1997 fleetwood southwind storm but the problem is I can't find which size was used. So to save me the trouble I decided to scale it from a 28ft model. So I spent some time trying to get a picture blown up to size and this is what Iv come out with.

So I am doing this in a 1/10 scale.
These are the measurements, front bus measures in at 33.6 inches, rear bus is 23 inches, it's sitting at 10.5 inches wide and standing at 12 inches tall not including tires.

Now bare with me on this build this is the first time I have done a complete scratch build of a body and all so I will be learning along the way. Feel free to leave some recommendations as well if you feel like it.

I have an end date set for the first of August though I know it's a short time but with little sleep and a lot of dedication and hopefully fast shipping of parts it can be accomplished. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emedina1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Just waiting on the axles, transmissions, and drive shafts to get here.

In the mean time here are some references I'm using.

Last edited by Emedina1222; 05-01-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Fleetwood RV: Jurassic park mobile lab

This is going to be cool to see what you have planned.

How are you going to do the bendy part? Full interior? What chassis(or materials)? If you've got a parts list, I'd love to see it.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstowe View Post
This is going to be cool to see what you have planned.

How are you going to do the bendy part? Full interior? What chassis(or materials)? If you've got a parts list, I'd love to see it.

The bendy part I haven't figured out yet gonna wait till I hit that speed bump later I have an idea but not sure. As far as connecting the two I'll be using what the real 1:1 uses which is the Pintle hook and Lunette ring from rc4wd.
And yes it will have a full interior with a removable roof more then likely going to use earth magnets to hold it down.
As for the chassis rails I'm using some 7.5x7.5x1.0mm L bent rods that I found at a local hardware store. I'm going to be using axial parts for this build. Axial scx10 axles, drive shafts with a little modification to extend them, axial transmissions, I haven't completely decided on tires or rims but they will be 1.55 scale. And of course the body will be made from styrene. I bought a mass quantity of different sizes including poles and tubes and rectangle shapes from Plastruct. All of these i will show in pictures once they arrive hopefully with a weeks time if the mail system works in my favor.

Any more questions I can answer in the meantime?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

This is the set up I plan on doing with two axial nvs's

Last edited by Emedina1222; 05-02-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

looking forward to seeing more did you get the drive line figured out for the rear yet
sbfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfirekid View Post
looking forward to seeing more did you get the drive line figured out for the rear yet
Well I had saw a mod on here that someone did where they took some metal tube and stock drive shafts from axial and extended them. But I'm looking at testing two options. 1. I want to try with a motor/trans powering the front bus and one powering the rear bus. 2. I wanna try one motor/trans powering front axle and a second powering the rear two axles of the front bus to eliminate the use of long shafts.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

As far as drive shafts go, have you looked on RC4WD at their punisher shafts? I know they range in sizes, and they are pretty well made. Only reason I say this is the 3 ESC idea makes my skin crawl thinking about wiring all that up. I would go with 2 ESC's like you said.

What about steering this thing? Running stock SCX axles will give it like a 50ft turning radius. I know you can increase that with upgrades, but are you planning on just one steer axle?

Not bashing any of the ideas in here, just getting the creative juices flowing. I'm patiently waiting for you to start the styrene work, as I have not had any experience with that type of building yet.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstowe View Post
As far as drive shafts go, have you looked on RC4WD at their punisher shafts? I know they range in sizes, and they are pretty well made. Only reason I say this is the 3 ESC idea makes my skin crawl thinking about wiring all that up. I would go with 2 ESC's like you said.

What about steering this thing? Running stock SCX axles will give it like a 50ft turning radius. I know you can increase that with upgrades, but are you planning on just one steer axle?

Not bashing any of the ideas in here, just getting the creative juices flowing. I'm patiently waiting for you to start the styrene work, as I have not had any experience with that type of building yet.
Yea I have looked into those shafts and Like I said it all depends on how many and where I place the transmissions. And trust me it's hard coming up with ideas alone so the more input I get the better I can build this. So as far as the steering to be honest it never crossed my mind tho it would be easy to do. I'll just have to trow it in a toggle switch. This build is supposed to be as scale and realistic as possible but I mean some time you've gotta bend a little to get the best out come mobility wise.
And this will be my first build of a body but I feel fairly confident in my ability so we will see how it turns out some items should come tomorrow by the looks of the tracking information!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

For the flex part search for Bellow covers.
Or you might find one for an accordion.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

I also saw that thread and wished it had taken off.

I'm a massive JP fan and built the staff Jeep vehicle and themed my Pajero after JP too.

For the flex section I would perhaps try extractor fan ducting, it's like a flexible tube consisting of a coiled wire (which could be re-shaped) and an outer skin. In the UK everyone has one attached to their tumble dryer
c.a.r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
For the flex part search for Bellow covers.

Or you might find one for an accordion.
Yea I looked into it great idea! I couldn't find any in the size I would need but I found a how to video on making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.a.r. View Post
I also saw that thread and wished it had taken off.

I'm a massive JP fan and built the staff Jeep vehicle and themed my Pajero after JP too.

For the flex section I would perhaps try extractor fan ducting, it's like a flexible tube consisting of a coiled wire (which could be re-shaped) and an outer skin. In the UK everyone has one attached to their tumble dryer

Well it's coming along well lol finally got some parts in I just hope it all works. I already found flaws that wouldn't work but Iv built a frame that works now lol. It's a long process. And as far as your builds if you have posted them then Iv quite possibly seen them lol there really isn't that many Jurassic park builds posted or even done on that matter, well other then the original two door jeep from the first movie. And I'll look into that fan tube and see which will look better and cost efficient lol.

This is where I sit taking a quick brake. All done with the last 4 hours trying to keep updated.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

This is a majority of the supplies I will be using

Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Started work on the body. This is kinda fun lol

Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Oh my god the pain of this stuff lol be ware! Insure you screw the lid back on after every use!

Problem solved

Last edited by Emedina1222; 05-15-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Roflmfao!
DaJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Stopping point for today

Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Great styrene work! I really hope you see this through to the finish as I'm dying to see a running video.
rookie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie101 View Post
Great styrene work! I really hope you see this through to the finish as I'm dying to see a running video.

Will have it done by August 1st! That's my deadline lol I think I'm making great progress

Finished one side today! Even made the cargo storage doors open.

Last edited by Emedina1222; 05-16-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Awesome work and detail! Cant wait to see more.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleetwood RV: Jurassic park mobile lab - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jurassic Park Maintenance Pajero! c.a.r. Tamiya XC/CC01 6 05-27-2015 05:58 PM
The Jurassic Park Jeep Debonair Axial SCX-10 8 12-13-2013 08:32 AM
1/6 Jurassic Park Jeep Build iMan Large Scale Rigs 20 07-18-2013 05:27 PM
Jurassic Park YJ mr.allthat 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-15-2010 03:06 PM
Jurassic Park Wrangler Project stutheitguy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 03-16-2009 04:16 AM