Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Beast II vs. Cross-RC Rigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RC4WD Beast II vs. Cross-RC Rigs

Hey y'all,

Getting pretty serious about picking up a multi-axle rig and have some questions...

1. RC4WD claims their Beast II is 1/14th scale. Cross-RC claims their 6x6 or 8x8 rigs are 1/12th scale. The larger scale works much better for what I'm wanting to do, but is the Cross-RC truck scaled that much larger? Anyone have any comparison shots showing the size/scale difference?

2. I'm confident in the durability of the RC4WD truck. I know the Cross-RC 6x6 had axle durability issues that appear to have been corrected on the 8x8. Does anyone know if the 6x6 is now also upgraded to better axles?

3. I really want an 8x8, not a 6x6, so the Cross-RC MC8 is appealing. But the wheelbase seems unnecessarily long. In addition, the front two axles are spaced pretty far apart. Has anyone tried shortening the wheelbase of an MC8? I'm sure it can be done, but I was concerned about driveline issues with a shorter wheelbase.

That's all I can think of right now, but if anyone has some info. to contribute, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD Beast II vs. Cross-RC Rigs

Also, where are y'all buying the Cross-RC kits from? Is our only option to purchase from China directly? Any US retailers?

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Hey y'all,

Getting pretty serious about picking up a multi-axle rig and have some questions...

1. RC4WD claims their Beast II is 1/14th scale. Cross-RC claims their 6x6 or 8x8 rigs are 1/12th scale. The larger scale works much better for what I'm wanting to do, but is the Cross-RC truck scaled that much larger? Anyone have any comparison shots showing the size/scale difference?

2. I'm confident in the durability of the RC4WD truck. I know the Cross-RC 6x6 had axle durability issues that appear to have been corrected on the 8x8. Does anyone know if the 6x6 is now also upgraded to better axles?

3. I really want an 8x8, not a 6x6, so the Cross-RC MC8 is appealing. But the wheelbase seems unnecessarily long. In addition, the front two axles are spaced pretty far apart. Has anyone tried shortening the wheelbase of an MC8? I'm sure it can be done, but I was concerned about driveline issues with a shorter wheelbase.

That's all I can think of right now, but if anyone has some info. to contribute, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!
Tommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Also, where are y'all buying the Cross-RC kits from? Is our only option to purchase from China directly? Any US retailers?

Thanks again!
Hey Tommy, 8x8's are a blast you'll love crawling over everything in sight with them! Maybe I can help answer some questions for you and get you decided on which to buy.

1. I can tell you the scale on the rc4wd and cross models are pretty much the same. I've retro fit the Beast II axles to my cross and they are a perfect fit. I'm guessing RC4WD is calling theirs a 1:14 as more of a marketing ploy in an attempt to appeal to the large Tamiya 1:14 semi market.

2. I'm not sure if Cross has corrected their 6x6 axles along with the 8x8, but if you decide on the 8x8, you want to make sure you pick up the version that has black bead locks. They changed the color of them from white to black on the new version for some reason.

3. The cross version has a wheel base that is scale to the 1:1 it is modeled after. Shortening the wb is just a matter drilling some new holes in the chassis if you go that route. And maybe dropping the trans a bit in the chassis.
As for the best place to buy Cross items. Stellamodels is the absolute best place I have found. Their shipping is fast and they have the best prices as well. They also sell on ebay. One thing you will need to pick up if going the Cross route, is metal drive shafts. Stella sells these also, but they are a must. The stock cross drive shafts are garbage.

Personally I like the Cross model way better then the RC4WD. If you really start looking close and comparing them to the 1:1 Man Kat. You'll see how much closer the Cross is built like the 1:1. It's night and day. Hope this helps.
Prop Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, Prop! That actually does help a lot. For me, if I go with a 6x6, the biggest selling point for the Cross-RC was the larger scale. If they're similar scale, I think I'd prefer to go with the Beast because the drivetrain won't need immediate upgrades. It also comes with way cool wheels/tires! The only downside is the awkward suspension setup (particularly the rearmost axle). I'd likely convert it over to some sort of walking beam setup....or at least something more likely do be seen on a 1:1 rig of this nature.

But if I decide I really want to stick with an 8x8, it'll be a matter of buying the MC8 and all the necessary drivetrain/suspension upgrades......or buying a Beast II and modifying it to accept a 4th axle.

The more I think about it, the more I think I may just stick with a 6x6. I'm thinking of building it into a sort of hardcore expedition style RV. And it would have to have a 1/12th scale dirtbike on the back!

Something along these lines:

Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Both are great options. I just ran the maiden voyage with my cross on yota axles and im very happy with the performance. Decisions decisions.....
Old 05-19-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Just came across these aluminum axles for the Cross models on ebay. As if you didn't have enough options to mull over already. Never fails, right after i do all the work to retro fit yotas to mine, some one starts selling a solution. These are how Cross should have made them to begin with imo.

CROSS-RC Aluminium Achsen-Set in 1:12, für CROSS-RC Trucks, NEU und OVP | eBay
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Some of your questions can be answered in my 6x6 build thread. And I shortened the wheelbase too.
Szczerba's MC6 6x6

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Beast II vs. Cross-RC Rigs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Beast II 6X6X6X6X6 pardonmyn00b Multi Axle Rigs 17 06-27-2015 10:54 AM
RC4WD Beast II 6x6 IronGut Multi Axle Rigs 7 04-22-2015 09:30 AM
rc4wd beast cossack Large Scale Rigs 10 05-01-2012 08:16 PM