Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy's Beast II 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy's Beast II 6x6

Lots of crazy, custom work being done tonight on the 6x6! That's right, not only did I unpackage this motor, but I even installed it! I know you're impressed....

It's an Integy 55 turn. And instead of using the supplied 14 tooth pinion, I decided on a 12 tooth. I'm a firm believer in scale speed and scale wheelspeed. After seeing how fast these things are in 2nd gear, I think a smaller pinion will be a better option. And we've seen rigs like this in Trials competitions and they've got NO wheelspeed. I may go down to my 10 tooth pinion depending on how I like this gearing....or not.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #22
RCC Addict

That's a Damn clean motor install man! lol
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #23
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looking good Tommy, the dash came out great. If enough people get/build multi axle rigs, I hope we can get a trials class going someday.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
That's a Damn clean motor install man! lol
With years of RC dedication, you can also install a motor like me. Follow your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looking good Tommy, the dash came out great. If enough people get/build multi axle rigs, I hope we can get a trials class going someday.
Thanks, Dean! I'd love a trials class, too. Maybe one day.....

I should be packing for my flight to Seattle tomorrow morning, but I had to address the latch that secures the cab. It's probably the simplest solution I could've come up with.

Now the latch has plenty of material to grab and holds the cab down nice and secure. I also replaced the link for the shifter because the one RC4WD provided wasn't long enough. Looks like the servo will have plenty travel to properly operate the transmission now.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I'm really itching towards getting one of these rigs. Looks so nice. Is the body difficult to assemble etc?

Did you plati-dip the tranny? Looks like some kind of coating was applied.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
I'm really itching towards getting one of these rigs. Looks so nice. Is the body difficult to assemble etc?

Did you plati-dip the tranny? Looks like some kind of coating was applied.
So far, I'm really enjoying building it and the possibilities are endless from a creativity standpoint. I'm already planning three different beds to suit the various looks I want to go after: trials, expedition, and work truck. Hopefully, it'll get primer soon.....and I need to determine a color soon, too.

The trans is just as it came in the kit. No extra coatings.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Hey Tommy, I have a question: I also just picked up the kit and sadly wont be able to start it for a few week's, but was curious if you though the rear axle links could be re positioned to face forward, creating a shorter over all length. I too would like a trials truck type of rig, and want to keep it as short as possible.

Thanks
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Hey Tommy, I have a question: I also just picked up the kit and sadly wont be able to start it for a few week's, but was curious if you though the rear axle links could be re positioned to face forward, creating a shorter over all length. I too would like a trials truck type of rig, and want to keep it as short as possible.

Thanks
I haven't looked into shortening the wheelbase much, but it doesn't look like it'd be much of an issue. What I *did* do was look into reconfiguring the links to all be on the forward side of the rear axles. And that looks like it should be possible without too much hassle. I'm not going to worry about that initially, but will eventually get around to it. Just like I'll eventually make this a left hand drive vehicle by moving the servo to the other side of the chassis.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

If you should start to make the forward facing link mod please post a pic, I am super curious about doing this, as the overhang of the bed is something I would like to shorten.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you should start to make the forward facing link mod please post a pic, I am super curious about doing this, as the overhang of the bed is something I would like to shorten.
Will do, but it won't be until I get the rig mostly complete. But I'll definitely take care of that flaw for sure!

Decided flat black was a much better choice than gloss black for the underside of such a vehicle. It's in the garage drying now...
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

"Rust" colored primer added to the cab, roof, bed, etc. Grey primer is now drying. Doing this because I'm thinking of doing some weathering for the first time and I'd like to be able to sand down through the various colors.

Chassis all in flat black and electronics re-installed.

I may do a little blackwash on the chassis before all is said and done. Definitely going to blackwash the wheels since they're so nice and shiny. Didn't want them to be flat black, though.

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans out there!!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
"Rust" colored primer added to the cab, roof, bed, etc. Grey primer is now drying. Doing this because I'm thinking of doing some weathering for the first time and I'd like to be able to sand down through the various colors.

Chassis all in flat black and electronics re-installed.

I may do a little blackwash on the chassis before all is said and done. Definitely going to blackwash the wheels since they're so nice and shiny. Didn't want them to be flat black, though.

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans out there!!

Hey boss, waddaya mean by black wash??
Old 07-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Ryan View Post
My eyes are glued to this one. Can't wait to see the finished results. Awesome build . Can't wait to get one of these in the collection.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to driving this one....and the time is drawing closer and closer!

Quote:
Hey boss, waddaya mean by black wash??
Good question! Basically, a wash is a very, very diluted paint mixture (like a few tablespoons of water or thinner to a drop or two of paint). It's applied to an already painted model or RC in order to bring out more depth and detail in the model's features. Many different colors may be used depending on the effect you're after, but it appears black is the most common.

The wash is applied with a brush in a relatively small area and then wiped or blotted away somewhat with a cloth or paper towel. The intent is to let the wash settle into the crevices and such and maybe remain on some of the flatter sections....all in an effort to add visual depth.

Case in point, here's a pic of my Class 1 Jeep LJ. The body is quite accurately molded, but even with pretty paint it still doesn't look "real". Applying some black wash should bring out the 3D details of the body and help it look much more realistic. I plan on black washing this body sometime real soon.

Just did a quick search and came across this site which gives a brief tutorial on the concept and process:
How to Use Paint Washes to Create Depth | Scale Model Guide
Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

First coat of grey primer dried so I applied some lighter grey rather sporadically. So if I weather it, it'll appear a bit more random under the primary color.

Unfortunately, I ran into a problem painting the interior bits. First coat of paint resulted in lots of creasing/cracking of the paint. I thought it was old paint so I sanded down the flaws and gave it a pass with some fresher paint. Same result. So now I'm thinking it has to do with where I applied a heavy coat of ProWeld/Bondene. I should've sanded those areas down before applying paint.....I guess? That's what I'll be doing now. But it definitely made more work for me.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the breakdown. I've been fascinated with how people "age" a scale rig, I'm dying to give it a try. Personally I like to looks of the wrinkled paint, gives it that cracked vinyl dash kinda look!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the breakdown. I've been fascinated with how people "age" a scale rig, I'm dying to give it a try. Personally I like to looks of the wrinkled paint, gives it that cracked vinyl dash kinda look!
Here's a great tutorial that RMD Photography put together:
3 Stages of Hardbody Paint Weathering
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

My basic interior is painted and in the process of being detailed a bit. Don't expect much more do be done, though.

Paint has been applied to the exterior, too.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

By the way, if anyone is curious, with basic electronics and a 3s 5000 mah battery, this truck weighs in just a tick under 11 lbs. I like 'em heavy!

So here's the last pics before I leave it alone for a week. Paint is applied. Yeah, it's a pretty bright blue, but I really liked the contrast when I tested weathering it on a sample piece of styrene. I don't plan on going crazy with the weathering on the cab....just enough to take the "new" off it with a light sanding. The bed, however, I plan on making it look like it was used and abused.

I'm also thinking of holding off on the Expedition Camper idea and just making a trials truck bed. I may still do both, but at the very least I'll do the trials bed first since it's easier. The camper may be later down the road. Exo-cage will be coming, too.

Anyway, here's some more pics.... And yes, it still needs lots of detail work.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #39
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice Tommy! although u know I loved the primered look

how long until we get a vid of this thing crawling?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
nice Tommy! although u know I loved the primered look

how long until we get a vid of this thing crawling?
Thanks, Cory! Well, you'll still see some primer, don't worry. But it'll be in the form of weathered blue paint. I thought the primer looked cool, too, actually. But I didn't want this to have a "not finished" look to it.

Video? Hell, you'll probably witness it running before I get chance to do a video. LOL! I'm hoping within the next two weeks I'll have it running. Right now I'm trying to research sound and smoke generators. I'm not normally a fan of either, but for this truck.....yeah, I want 'em.

Tommy's Beast II 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Beast II 6x6 IronGut Multi Axle Rigs 7 04-22-2015 09:30 AM
The Beast 6x6 revised blumaro Multi Axle Rigs 9 03-14-2014 02:11 PM