Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Perkul8r's basic 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Perkul8r's basic 6x6

Got another shipment of parts today.

SSD Cms, SSD lower links, Revo rod ends and scx10.2 trans.

I made my links a little different than when I did the Power Wagon. I used 1/4 brake line and 10-24 all thread this time instead of the 8-32 all thread. It seems quite a bit heavier so should hold up a little better.

Got it all together as a roller and so far have only had to rob the center axle and wheel/tires off the Power Wagon.

I am not overall happy with my rear link mount but I have an idea for a easy fix to that. I didn't have parts when I extended the chassis so it was a 50/50 shot it would end up working. And it does work great, I just would like a little longer links on the rear axle.

Now to just figure out a body and waiting on the Bowhouse Rc scx10.2 trans mount.

Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I decided to fix my rear links and get it together.

I had some frame pieces off the one I cut up to extend mine. I trimmed those down and made some bolt on link mounts.

Finished link mounts.

Of course than I had to make new rear links. So did that and got it all together. Also moved the shock hoop for a little better shock angle.

Now I just need to get driveshafts figured out and get electronics ordered.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I couldn't just leave the Power Wagon 6x6 alone. I pulled the center axle back out of the other truck, and tossed it back in.

When I built this truck I used what I could find locally. So the links where 8-32nd and some aluminum tube. Those have bent slightly so When I redid the lowers on the center I used the same as the other, 10-24 all thread and 1/4 brake line tubing. They already seem alot better.

When redoing the links I pushed the center rear axle back as far as I could and moved the rear axle a little more forward. The gap between the 2 rear wheels always seemed a bit big. But now its as close as I would like it so I put everything back together so I can go play.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Finally got some more parts for the other 6x6. Got my SSD Steering links and Mojave 2 Crew Cab from RPP.

Both parts were easy to install. The Mojave Cab was very easy to install due to the mounts I had found on facebook. It just bolted right on.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Than a couple days later I got some more parts.

Got my center axle in from my buddy Jon. Its nothing special but hes semi local to me.

Also got my Bowhouse Rc trans mount in. Obviously I knew it wouldn't directly fit as I am not using a stock chassis, but it took very little trimming to get it in there.

Also installed the new driveshafts. Need to get one done for the rear still.

Now to just get the body done and figure out something for the back half.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
RCC Addict

You should get the TF2 bed and extend it. Have one opening for the wheels.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
You should get the TF2 bed and extend it. Have one opening for the wheels.
I have thought about that. But my work with styrene isn't the best lol. I may do a recovery style flatbed as that was what I originally wanted, but still not sure yet lol.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Been thinking, reading, and thinking again about what to do for a bed on this thing.

I considered getting 2 tf2 beds and cutting them up, but than I would have to go with cantilever suspension in the rear for sure. Not a biggie, just not something I planned on.

Than got to looking at flatbeds. Had an idea to use the Honcho rear cage like the Power Wagon, but it wouldn't quite fall into the class where I am going to try and run this truck.

So decided to give myself a shot at making one. I picked up some 1/8 brass rod and gave it a try.

It actually wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Its def gonna take some time to build it, but thats ok. I gotta order tires and some other parts before I go to far.

Last edited by Perkul8r; 10-21-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Looking like a good start there
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Looking like a good start there
Its a start at least lol. I have never done this before. But its not to bad. Hopefully it will hold together lol.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
Been thinking, reading, and thinking again about what to do for a bed on this thing.

I considered getting 2 tf2 beds and cutting them up, but than I would have to go with cantilever suspension in the rear for sure. Not a biggie, just not something I planned on.

Than got to looking at flatbeds. Had an idea to use the Honcho rear cage like the Power Wagon, but it wouldn't quite fall into the class where I am going to try and run this truck.

So decided to give myself a shot at making one. I picked up some 1/8 brass rod and gave it a try.

It actually wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Its def gonna take some time to build it, but thats ok. I gotta order tires and some other parts before I go to far.

I have found the brass easy to work with and solder up, its reasonably strong and the bumpers I have made get realistic damage on the rocks and trail, kinda cool!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Got my next round of parts in today so I can work on this some more.

As I am trying my best to fit this into C1 for our local comps I needed a legal set of tires. I ended up going with a tried and true setup. Pitbull Growler 1.55's and SSD beadlocks. The growlers are a great tire for my area and the SSD's are just so easy and affordable.

I also decided to throw in the new powerplant fort he truck. Mamba X with a 2850kv motor should be able to get this thing going. I my end up changing the trans out sometime. I want to be able to run an interior in the truck and not sure if it will be possible yet. I gotta alot of figuring to do with the electronics placement. But for now, its good enough to test everything.

So far I am really happy with how this truck is turning out. It may be a long project, but I got till next spring before our next outdoor comp anyway lol.

Perkul8r's basic 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to Basic. Wilson Axial SCX-10 1 07-12-2015 03:41 PM
Scratch 6x6 trials **UPDATE.. Now MAN-KAT 6x6** dankycrawler Multi Axle Rigs 37 04-18-2013 02:09 PM
Basic Bully 00racer RC4WD Bully 55 04-26-2012 12:27 PM