Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

wondering if ya had any measurements of the body..i got a custom 6x6 with araith axles and 2.2 swampers xl's. and in need to to find a body that will work for me...thanks
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyota View Post
wondering if ya had any measurements of the body..i got a custom 6x6 with araith axles and 2.2 swampers xl's. and in need to to find a body that will work for me...thanks
I don't have exact measurements right now, but a Bullhead is pretty small. Before I cut mine up, it was roughly 6 1/2" wide to the outside of the fenders, and the cab itself is only about 5" wide. I added a 1/2" to both fenders and a 1/4" to the middle of the cab.
You could make it work for your truck. The fenders will fit a pretty big tire, about 5 1/2" in diameter would be the limit. Post pictures of your truck and what you do with it.
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
I don't have exact measurements right now, but a Bullhead is pretty small. Before I cut mine up, it was roughly 6 1/2" wide to the outside of the fenders, and the cab itself is only about 5" wide. I added a 1/2" to both fenders and a 1/4" to the middle of the cab.
You could make it work for your truck. The fenders will fit a pretty big tire, about 5 1/2" in diameter would be the limit. Post pictures of your truck and what you do with it.
thanks for the info..i think the body would be to small..i got it as a full roller with electronics right now,just need a body so i can move forward with the flat bed.i'll post up some photos when i get it done
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Here are some updates from the interwebs. I decided that a set of LURC 1.9 Iconic wheels with Axial R35 compound B.F.Goodrich tires would work., even if I only had 4 in the parts bin.
Here are the hermetically controlled results from my future mother-in-law's proving grounds:

Old 04-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

That scientifically controlled test netted promising results.
-The tires work for the truck quite well. The Axial foams are a bit soft, though.
-Gearing is still not what it should be. Even with a 50 turn motor and a 6 tooth pinion it's a bog-mobile. (More on that later.)
In the mean time, I ordered the matching wheels, beadlock rings, and hardware from LURC, along with 2 more tires and the Jconcepts 1984 F-150 body from RPP Hobbies. Less than 15 minutes after placing the order through LURC, I received a phone call from them asking if my order was correct since I ordered 4 beadlock rings and only 2 wheels. I explained that I'm building a 6x6 and matching up wheels to a set that I have. How is that for customer service?

Here are the anticipated wheels:

I flipped the rears around to get a different offset. Looks more like a super single wheel:

Enough indoor posing and on to the smaller proving ground, which happens to be in front of our town house:

After some interweb research I discovered that the 2 speed R2 transmission has a higher low range gearing of 11:1, while the single speed R2 is geared at 30:1. Pretty significant difference, so the trans was swapped out for a spare single speed. That allowed me to use the cordless drill motor to make up for wheel speed.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

The front foams are still a bit too soft, but these tires are too so it will be a compromise until I find a suitable compound. I've collected a few different types of foam to experiment with.
Impatience has gotten the best of me, so I put on some Axial headlights and tinted the windows to hide the lack of an interior to get it ready to seen by friends over a weekend. This was not in vain, and I may have given someone else this savings account draining addiction.
Here it is, as driven:

Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

This project has been idle for too long! I have had way too many other things take precedence over it, including real life projects and responsibilities. So, the only choice I have is to take advantage of "slow" times at work.
I have decided to keep the Kenworth cab for this truck. The Bullhead's proportions bothered me, so time for plastic surgery. I want to add more width to the hood and fenders. So I cut down the middle of the hood and added an inch and 3/16" to its total width by making a wedge. Then I made similar wedges for the fenders, bringing them out to 9 7/8."
The next order of business is to undo the first round of surgery to the cab and widen it to match the hood. Unfortunately my maths weren't as precise as they should have been. Had to make a filler strip to deal with the "oops." This brought the total width out to 6 1/4."
A bit of mockery after a few coats of putty and a lot of sanding.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Welcome back. Glad to see this build up and going again. I was worried that this was going to be one of those forgotten builds. Can looks awesome so far (had no doubt it would). Can't wait to see where this build is headed now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Welcome back. Glad to see this build up and going again. I was worried that this was going to be one of those forgotten builds. Can looks awesome so far (had no doubt it would). Can't wait to see where this build is headed now.

Every single build takes the path of neglect before progress can be made. I have shelves full of half built cars, trucks, and parts that collect dust while waiting for the cat to knock them off of where they sat.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Filled in the rear window a bit, since it didn't look right after widening. Also extended the doors a 1/2" to match the hood. Then I was able to make a filler panel for the back of the cab. Just need to build up around the panel where the cab is slightly concaved, like the roof.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. I'm still in the chassis building stage of 6X6 but I foresee some styrene work in the near future.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Looks good. I'm still in the chassis building stage of 6X6 but I foresee some styrene work in the near future.
Thanks Ricochet! Do you have a build thread?
I'm doing the body work first because it's my least favorite. I'm going to use the frame that I made for this, but with Blackwell axles and 2.2" tires and wheels.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Yeah not much there yet, just getting started.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi...fer-build.html
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Yeah not much there yet, just getting started.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi...fer-build.html
I remember seeing that. Cool start, and yes other members of this forum are a bad influence.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Awesome work! I've stayed away from the bullhead because of its size and generic style but you are changing my mind and giving me many good ideas!
Keep up the great work!

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Awesome work! I've stayed away from the bullhead because of its size and generic style but you are changing my mind and giving me many good ideas!
Keep up the great work!

Ben
Thanks Itali83! To be honest, the amount of work the Bullhead needed is why this project stalled for so long.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Not much progress, but the body work is mostly done. I replaced the door trim that was cut by adding length to the doors, and the trim around the windshield.
I've been back and forth on whether or not to build a sleeper for this. Most work trucks are day cabs, but I think it would look right a sleeper. Plus it would give me a place to hide the electronics. Who knows?
If I get time over the weekend I'll work on the frame. I have a few choices for power, transmission. Just have to see what works.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Great styrene work on the body. Once you put primer on it you won't be able to tell it's been modified.....
I was searching Google today for inspiration and I came across this beast. Thought it was right up your alley.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Great styrene work on the body. Once you put primer on it you won't be able to tell it's been modified.....
I was searching Google today for inspiration and I came across this beast. Thought it was right up your alley.

Thanks Rickleo! I'm getting pretty anxious to get a coat of primer on it.
The images you found are pretty much dead on for what I have in mind for this.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I knew you would like it. Just some small inspiration for ya (like you need it lol). Can't wait to see how this beast will look when you're finish.

Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build TrailSnail Multi Axle Rigs 24 08-31-2020 12:01 AM
WesleyRoy's SCX10 another 6x6 bullhead build WesleyRoy Multi Axle Rigs 47 03-16-2018 01:41 PM
Yota 2 K2 6x6 Bullhead UneekSole Multi Axle Rigs 1 11-09-2014 08:02 PM
Bullhead 6x6 CydStrange Scale Videos! 0 11-23-2012 06:18 AM